U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who's is/was the best?
Michael Jackson 16 39.02%
Elvis 7 17.07%
Prince 2 4.88%
Beyonce 0 0%
Lady Gaga 1 2.44%
Other.... 15 36.59%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 06:30 PM

25,953 posts, read 26,706,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
As much as I am a fan of Michael, you do realize he was lipsyncing in that video, right?
Oh, I know all about that stuff, some of his concert material was also overdubbed for the bio work, "Moonwalker,' and it is not uncommon for many, many performers to lypsync in large stadiums because of the acoustics, but the purpose of that video was so you could see his target marketing audience and why his later work, his best work in my opinion, was not well received. His subject matter went from dance hall themes to more autobiographical and world events and the record company didn't promote it well and it was not well received - because the subject matter changed to more sophisticated efforts and topics and that wasn't going to fly with teenage girls - his marketing audience, who you see in the cut aways to that video.

As far as my comment on working his ass off, watch him run back and forth across that stage so everyone got a fair shot of seeing him.

This video is a concert clip for the cameras for the bio vid "Moonwalker" it was overdubbed for a clearer sound. This video also shows a great performance - he's enjoying the hell out it and particularly watch the cut aways to the BAND and back up singers this time and they are just having a good ol time. You may have to watch it more than once to catch the band at different times. Again, performance came first. It will, again, show his target marketing audience in the crowd. (You also catch a glimpse of one long, big haired Sheryl Crow as one of his back up singers).

Michael Jackson - Another Part Of Me - YouTube

Last edited by Thursday007; 10-07-2012 at 06:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 03:27 PM

1,431 posts, read 1,543,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Oh, I know all about that stuff, some of his concert material was also overdubbed for the bio work, "Moonwalker,' and it is not uncommon for many, many performers to lypsync in large stadiums because of the acoustics, but the purpose of that video was so you could see his target marketing audience and why his later work, his best work in my opinion, was not well received. His subject matter went from dance hall themes to more autobiographical and world events and the record company didn't promote it well and it was not well received - because the subject matter changed to more sophisticated efforts and topics and that wasn't going to fly with teenage girls - his marketing audience, who you see in the cut aways to that video.

As far as my comment on working his ass off, watch him run back and forth across that stage so everyone got a fair shot of seeing him.

This video is a concert clip for the cameras for the bio vid "Moonwalker" it was overdubbed for a clearer sound. This video also shows a great performance - he's enjoying the hell out it and particularly watch the cut aways to the BAND and back up singers this time and they are just having a good ol time. You may have to watch it more than once to catch the band at different times. Again, performance came first. It will, again, show his target marketing audience in the crowd. (You also catch a glimpse of one long, big haired Sheryl Crow as one of his back up singers).

Michael Jackson - Another Part Of Me - YouTube

The world will never see a man with such confidence and talent. RIP MJ

Old 10-08-2012, 09:39 PM

641 posts, read 822,108 times
Top Ten

Frank Sinatra
Alice Cooper
Elvis Presley
Michael Jackson
Tina Turner
James Brown
Chuck Berry
Buddy Holly
Nat King Cole
Otis Redding

Old 10-09-2012, 12:02 PM

17,146 posts, read 19,458,768 times
I think Michael Jackson was probably the best mass entertainer ever. However, his music would be considered rather average by serious musicians even though it had broad mass appeal. Such is the taste of less sophisticated people.

Michael Jackson was the McDonalds of the music industry.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 10-09-2012 at 12:29 PM..

Old 10-09-2012, 01:06 PM

2,942 posts, read 4,380,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I think Michael Jackson was probably the best mass entertainer ever. However, his music would be considered rather average by serious musicians even though it had broad mass appeal. Such is the taste of less sophisticated people.

Nonsense. Michael Jackson is admired by many "serious" musicians and entertainers (James Brown, Sammie Davis Jr., Prince, Fred Astaire, Gene Kelly, etc.). He wrote and produced most of his own songs. He took several years to record one album and for each album, he recorded about a hundred songs! How many artists do that? His demos sound better than 99% of music that's out there today. To say that the millions of people of all ages and races who enjoy his music are "less sophisticated" than you is ridiculously snobbish. Who decides what "sophisticated" music is anyway?

One thing I love about MJ is that he was not afraid to tackle controversial topics in his music. He wrote songs about racism, police brutality, abortion, poverty, drug addiction, the child molestation allegations, etc. And he crossed genres as well, many of his songs are not "pop" at all.

Last edited by LindavG; 10-09-2012 at 01:27 PM..

Old 10-09-2012, 10:35 PM

1,717 posts, read 2,617,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

I'd have to agree with ya here. Although there's no question the man had enormous talent, I find some of the posts on here claiming he was greater than the Beatles to be absurd. So MJ had the top selling alblum of all time in Thriller. Other than that he trails the Beatles in just about every chart stat there is. MJ had a roughly 40 year recording career..Beatles 8 years. MJ toured just about his whole life, Beatles quit touring after about 4 years. Beatles singles at times occupied the first 5 spots on a chart and what usually unseated a Beatles #1 was another Beatles song. Beatles had several songs that were #1 in U.S and UK charts at the same time, Michael , not so much. Michael had the advantage of broader venues to sell his music to a larger world population. There was no MTV and about 1.5 billion fewer people on earth when the Beatles released Help or Hard Days Night. When the Beatles did tour and record it was with prehistoric equipment with no million dollar stage that MJ enjoyed. Bottom line...Beatles greater than Michael.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:00 AM

8,939 posts, read 6,476,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
Michael Jackson is the most overrated artist of all time.
I repped you for that. He did nothing for me.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:11 AM

8,939 posts, read 6,476,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
I actually think that Michael's target audience was almost everyone. Everyone know Michael Jackson and his songs. Despite what you might think of him, there is no denying his talent.

I really would have liked to see him do This Is It Tour. It would have been amazing, and his voice was so strong.

On The History Tour- Michael lipsynced almost all his songs due to some vocal ailment.
Fraud. That tour should have been cancelled.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:23 AM

2,311 posts, read 3,598,657 times
Charles Manson.

Highly talented singer/songwriter and the leader of one of the most notorious and violent cults in the world.

As a result of his actions we have had movies, news, music from other talents he influenced and the rambling words of a part time madman part time genius for over 40 years.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:32 AM

2,942 posts, read 4,380,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Buzzcut View Post
I'd have to agree with ya here. Although there's no question the man had enormous talent, I find some of the posts on here claiming he was greater than the Beatles to be absurd. So MJ had the top selling alblum of all time in Thriller. Other than that he trails the Beatles in just about every chart stat there is. MJ had a roughly 40 year recording career..Beatles 8 years. MJ toured just about his whole life, Beatles quit touring after about 4 years. Beatles singles at times occupied the first 5 spots on a chart and what usually unseated a Beatles #1 was another Beatles song. Beatles had several songs that were #1 in U.S and UK charts at the same time, Michael , not so much. Michael had the advantage of broader venues to sell his music to a larger world population. There was no MTV and about 1.5 billion fewer people on earth when the Beatles released Help or Hard Days Night. When the Beatles did tour and record it was with prehistoric equipment with no million dollar stage that MJ enjoyed. Bottom line...Beatles greater than Michael.
Although MJ's recording career spanned about 40 years, he only released an album every 5 years or so. The Beatles actually released more albums in the 10 years they were active (1960-1970) than MJ did in his entire solo career. If you want to compare success in record sales, you should compare the number of records sold per album (or the average). MJ clearly wins there. As for your comment about MJ touring his whole life, that's also wrong. MJ hated to tour and said so on many occasions. He didn't even do a solo tour for Thriller. He did the Victory tour with his brothers against his will to please his mother. A few years later, he did the Bad tour and a few years after that, he did the Dangerous tour (which he didn't finish due to health complications related to the stress caused by the child molestation allegations). The last tour he did was the HIStory tour back in the mid-90s. So that's 2.5 solo tours in his entire career, I'd hardly call that "touring his whole life". As for chart success, you must be joking if you think MJ is trailing the Beatles in that respect. Not only is Thriller by far the best-selling album of all time, every album MJ released was #1 on the charts, Bad broke the record of most #1 singles on one album, HIStory is the best-selling multiple-disc album of all time, etc. MJ is far more internationally successful than The Beatles, there's just no comparison. The Beatles may have been more successful in the US and UK (although I'm not sure about the latter) but MJ was far more successful on a global scale (in continental Europe, Africa, Asia, the Middle East). Most importantly though, The Beatles had one huge advantage over MJ: the media's support. I cannot think of any artist or band in history that is more hyped by the media than The Beatles, and I cannot think of any artist or band in history that is more trashed by the media than MJ. How many artists could endure the kind of constant media bashing decade after decade like MJ did and survive with their fanbase largely intact?

Anyway, my point is not to argue that MJ is a better artist than the Beatles based on his chart success. Commercial success is not that important to me. There are many great artists who never really made it big and there are many mediocre artists that are incredibly popular. I just don't understand why people feel the need to constantly diminish MJ's success or talent just because they don't like his music. I've personally never understood The Beatles' appeal. To me, their music doesn't sound too different from other boy bands and much of their lyrics aren't very meaningful or well-written. I've often wondered how people would respond to them if they just came out today, would they be put in the same category as One Direction and the Jonas Brothers and only appeal to white teenage girls? However, that's just my personal taste. I would never say that people who like The Beatles are "less sophisticated" than me. There is no universal law for what is "good" music or "bad" music. One thing that speaks for the quality of MJ's music though is that it doesn't sound dated. You can be at a discotheque in 2012 and when Don't Stop 'Till You Get Enough - written by MJ in the late 1970s - plays everyone starts to dance. His music appeals to young and old, black and white, men and women, to people all over the world on a massive scale. He has the most varied fanbase of any artist that has ever lived. You'd have to be an incredible snob to dismiss all those people as being "less sophisticated" than you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or