Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2012, 11:25 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,526,311 times

Advertisements

I just watched the PJ20 documentary over the weekend, and I got bitten by the Pearl Jam bug, and honestly I think I stopped listening to PJ after Vitalogy…I picked up Backspacer, but only because it was on sale on Target, and I needed something to listen to on a long drive, and the car only had cd player…anyway!....The point is, after watching the documentary, I downloaded some of their albums post Vitalogy, and it suddenly hit me that Pearl Jam is truly a great rock n’ roll band. Their music is raw, energetic, meaningful, and they are probably the last band that really cares about their fans. Yes, some of their music can be repetitive, and I still think Backspacer was a half a$$ed job, but some of the other records like Yield and Riot Act, are better and more interesting than Ten or Vs. (My favorite PJ record).

Sometimes I think Pearl Jam got lost because by the time they released No Code, the music landscape was so different, and so mainstream, and pop had a resurgence (NSYNC, Backstreet Boys, etc) and there was no room for a band like Pearl Jam. Despite the fact, Pearl Jam kept true to its roots, and I think it receives a certain respect enjoyed by bands of say, R.E.M stature. Needless to say, I am a born again PJ fan….what are your thoughts on Pearl Jam?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 11:34 AM

990 posts, read 939,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey mouse is dead View Post
I just watched the PJ20 documentary over the weekend, and I got bitten by the Pearl Jam bug, and honestly I think I stopped listening to PJ after Vitalogy…I picked up Backspacer, but only because it was on sale on Target, and I needed something to listen to on a long drive, and the car only had cd player…anyway!....The point is, after watching the documentary, I downloaded some of their albums post Vitalogy, and it suddenly hit me that Pearl Jam is truly a great rock n’ roll band. Their music is raw, energetic, meaningful, and they are probably the last band that really cares about their fans. Yes, some of their music can be repetitive, and I still think Backspacer was a half a$$ed job, but some of the other records like Yield and Riot Act, are better and more interesting than Ten or Vs. (My favorite PJ record).

Sometimes I think Pearl Jam got lost because by the time they released No Code, the music landscape was so different, and so mainstream, and pop had a resurgence (NSYNC, Backstreet Boys, etc) and there was no room for a band like Pearl Jam. Despite the fact, Pearl Jam kept true to its roots, and I think it receives a certain respect enjoyed by bands of say, R.E.M stature. Needless to say, I am a born again PJ fan….what are your thoughts on Pearl Jam?
I've gotta be honest, I loved them early on, but found their later music to be worse and worse and found Vedder to get a bit old. I haven't listened to Backspacer or Riot Act though, but to me Ten was the epitome of a perfect album. It was amazing from start to finish.

Then again, that was just an awesome era for ALBUMS with Nevermind, Superunknown, Core and so many others. Music has gone way downhill since then.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:41 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBeforeYouVote View Post
Music has gone way downhill since then.
Either that or we're getting older.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:49 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,274,070 times
I moved on from grunge to punk to indie to altcountry, but I don't like anything past Yield. Binaural is OK, but Kid A came out that same year and (not that I'm a fan) but Linkin Park and Coldplay came out that year too. Music had changed.

Vitalogy is probably my favorite album from them with No Code or Ten tied for second.

The PJ20 documentary was really, really good. It was cool to see the "behind the scenes" from that time.

PJ wasn't my favorite band then though. It would have been the Smashing Pumpkins or Soundgarden. I must have listened to Pices Iscariot and Superunknown (on tape) at least 1,000,000 times.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:51 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,112,822 times
The PJ20 documentary (other than making me feel old) is very, very good.
I dropped off listening to PJ probably around 2000 (still listened to their old stuff)...

I didn't mind backspacer, but nowhere near Ten & Vs (my two favourite albums). For me, PJ, are the ones I always go back to.

agree: they're a truly great rock n' roll band, one my all time favourites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBeforeYouVote View Post
I've gotta be honest, I loved them early on, but found their later music to be worse and worse and found Vedder to get a bit old. I haven't listened to Backspacer or Riot Act though, but to me Ten was the epitome of a perfect album. It was amazing from start to finish.

Then again, that was just an awesome era for ALBUMS with Nevermind, Superunknown, Core and so many others. Music has gone way downhill since then.
no way!

Old 10-05-2012, 07:16 AM

1,976 posts, read 2,352,918 times
I got into them because of Dave Abrusezze, thought he was a fantastic drummer and actually stood in line at HMV to pick up Vs. when it came out. Saw them on SNL in '94, more great drumming. Then they fired him. Smooth move. Vitology was the last CD I bought by them. Dave Krusen was good too.

The documentary, which I watched to see what they had about DA, had nothing other than a flip overview of how many drummers they've had. Gee, maybe it's a bad band to be the drummer in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music