Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 01:46 AM

192 posts, read 256,233 times

Advertisements

It seems like literally nothing is going on in music right now. Indie is more or less dead, I mean Mumford and Sons, Foster the People, even M83 is just as boring and lacking in originality as Rihanna and Katy Perry. It seems like all music today is either aimed at teenage girls/small children or rooted in nostalgia and trying to palely imitate the classics.

I even miss 90's music now, and I hate the 90's. Say what you want about the Spice Girls and Backstreet Boys, at least they were a phenomena. Even 2005 had noticeably more going on. I've heard people say 'who's Carly Rae Jepsen', seriously. NOBODY aside from 13-17 year old girls and hipsters are paying attention to modern music. Because it's so boring and breaks no ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 10:46 AM

1,360 posts, read 2,949,948 times
Its radio that is dead, not music.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:49 AM

192 posts, read 256,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo6 View Post
Its radio that is dead, not music.
I'm sure a lot of good music is being made, but there really isn't any good scene.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:09 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,288,075 times
Music is not dead, and it never has been dead. I agree that everything that has been named so far sucks. But that's like saying "ketchup sucks, so food is dead."

Old 10-15-2012, 11:44 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,995,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donniedarko View Post
It seems like literally nothing is going on in music right now. Indie is more or less dead, I mean Mumford and Sons, Foster the People, even M83 is just as boring and lacking in originality as Rihanna and Katy Perry. It seems like all music today is either aimed at teenage girls/small children or rooted in nostalgia and trying to palely imitate the classics.

I even miss 90's music now, and I hate the 90's. Say what you want about the Spice Girls and Backstreet Boys, at least they were a phenomena. Even 2005 had noticeably more going on. I've heard people say 'who's Carly Rae Jepsen', seriously. NOBODY aside from 13-17 year old girls and hipsters are paying attention to modern music. Because it's so boring and breaks no ground.
Are you serious? You expect to be taken seriously when you say Mumford and Sons, Foster the People and M83 lack originality? All three of those groups have a pretty distinct sound and very talented. Mumford and Sons are reinventing the folk/rock genre, FtP are bringing back intelligent pop music that we havent had in over a decade, and M83 has been putting out solid electronic tracks for years.

Music is far from dead. It is as alive as it ever has been. Stop being lazy and get yourself good music. The radio and TV is no longer going to deliver good music to you. You obviously know how to use the internet so use it to find good music. I find good music all the time. Websites like Pitchfork and Consequence of Sound are great places to find out who are releasing albums and listening to samples of forthcoming releases.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:38 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,136,004 times
Quote:

Quote:
I'm sure a lot of good music is being made, but there really isn't any good scene.
Why do you need a "scene" to enjoy music. A scene surrounding a type of music isn't about the music itself it's about the people that listen to the music.

And to say Indie music is dead is just silly. I'm into well over a hundred album this year alone that I love. Very few of which have had any radio airplay. Music is more than thriving now a days thanks to the internet and the ease at which artists can now get their music to the public.

Checkout turntable.fm it's a great way to find new music.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:06 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,995,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
Why do you need a "scene" to enjoy music. A scene surrounding a type of music isn't about the music itself it's about the people that listen to the music.

And to say Indie music is dead is just silly. I'm into well over a hundred album this year alone that I love. Very few of which have had any radio airplay. Music is more than thriving now a days thanks to the internet and the ease at which artists can now get their music to the public.

Checkout turntable.fm it's a great way to find new music.
Exactly. Saying that music is dead when the internet has made music more alive than ever is just ridiculous. Artist now have a way to get their music out to everyone with an internet connection so there is more music than ever.

Old 10-15-2012, 03:25 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Music is not dead, the music industry is dead...or at least sick. But mainstream pop music has always sort of sucked (look at some of the bubblegum rock that filled the top 40 of the 60s and 70s), recording technology and mass media ares perhaps making it worse as no talent artists, whose significant lapses in talent are covered up by autotune, lip synching, overdubs, and public relations, seem to becoming more and more a factor in music.

This is going to be a bit of a contraversial statement - but I beleive the death in quality music, replaced by the overproduced gargage indicated above, started with Michael Jackson's solo work in the 80s (mind you, not the Jackson 5 and it's amazing discography of geniune Motown soul). From that you got Madonna, Brittany Spears, and all the other singers who relied on studios and producers, a catchy riff here and there, properly placed yelps, and synthezed electronically generated tones rather than instruments to create music. Talent is gone, musicians are gone, the craftwork of songwriting is gone, musical soul is gone, groove is gone. Yes, I said it, Michael Jackson (more specifically, his "musical handlers" and suited polished producers) killed popular music as we know it today, until he killed himself with drugs.

But, hope is out there. Forget about the radio and Katie Perry and Lady GaGa and Rihanna. There are other sources of music now - the internet is out there. You just have to search for it.

Last edited by Dd714; 10-15-2012 at 03:37 PM..

Old 10-15-2012, 03:26 PM

27,544 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:

What has happened is that the musical artists of the 1960s to early 1980s were SO groundbreaking, visionary and talented, that they practically exhausted all the creative ideas that were possible with music in its modern form. That's why we are left with scraps and rehashes today and have to pretend that any of it comes close to living up to what came decades ago. It's nothing but a sham. And this is why the music industry HAS to be geared to teenaged girls - because they know it's the only audience that will spend any money at all on this watered-down music.

Music will be dead until and unless another new groundbreaking genre sweeps across the nation and the world.

Old 10-15-2012, 03:48 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,124,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Music is not dead, and it never has been dead. I agree that everything that has been named so far sucks. But that's like saying "ketchup sucks, so food is dead."
I agree. Though what they play on the radio seems to be auto-tuned crap for the most part. What irks me most as a long time music fan is the number of unknown artists on smaller independent labels that are truly great but have only a very small word of mouth or reputation to get an audience. the main problem-Sales. The music biz wants the sound and image that will sell and sell hard.

Much hidden talent out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music