U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 08:16 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,963,134 times

Advertisements

I didn't like one of his songs. His voice sounded at the most average but I always got the feeling that he was trying hard to sound like he had a good voice and never quite made it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 07:21 AM
JPD

12,159 posts, read 15,022,713 times
No.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:14 PM

25,953 posts, read 26,673,713 times
Variations on his talent for singing in his early years are well documented.

In the early 1950's Elvis failed an audition for a local vocal quartet, the Songfellows. He explained to his father, "They told me I couldn't sing."Songfellow Jim Hamill later claimed that he was turned down because he did not demonstrate an ear for harmony at the time.

His friend Ronnie Smith, after playing a few local gigs with him, suggested he contact Eddie Bond, leader of Smith's professional band, which had an opening for a vocalist. Bond rejected him after a tryout, advising Presley to stick to truck driving "because you're never going to make it as a singer."

Elvis made one appearance at the Grand Ol' Opry and manager Jim Denny said he couldn't sing.

Elvis was denied an appearance on the Aurthur Godfrey Talent Show and was told he couldn't sing.

Then, it depends on what your personal music genre interests are as to whether he is considered good or not.
Some of the songs, like "That's All Right", were in what one Memphis journalist described as the "R&B idiom of negro field jazz"; others, like "Blue Moon of Kentucky", were "more in the country field", "but there was a curious blending of the two different musics in both".This blend of styles made it difficult for Presley's music to find radio airplay. According to Neal, many country-music disc jockeys would not play it because he sounded too much like a black artist and none of the rhythm-and-blues stations would touch him because "he sounded too much like a hillbilly." The blend came to be known as rockabilly.

Thought at first to be a black man due to his singing, disc jockey Dewey Philips played Elvis' top record over and over again on a live broadcast with Elvis in the studio being interviewed. Phillips asked him what high school he went to in order to establish that Elvis was white.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:43 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,151,384 times
I like/liked at. It got even better as he aged.

This one is my favorite.

An American Trilogy - Elvis Presley - YouTube

Old 10-25-2012, 03:24 AM

22,362 posts, read 27,494,727 times
One of my favorite male vocalists.

IMO, his voice was excellent, with a lot of range. According to his cousin, Billy Smith, "Elvis had a range of about two octaves and a third. He was a high-baritone. He could nail high G's and A's full-voiced. That was just his natural ability."

His gospel music, especially, is a good sample of his voice. Like this one:

Elvis Presley - Peace In The Valley - YouTube

Another example:

ELVIS PRESLEY-OLD SHEP.....with rare school pictures! - YouTube

Old 10-25-2012, 04:21 PM

25,953 posts, read 26,673,713 times
Elvis' first recording, My Happiness, originally by the Ink Spots. Elvis recorded it when he was 18 at Sun Studios in 1953.

Elvis Presley - My Happiness (Elvis' first recording) - YouTube

For the flip side he chose another song by the Ink Spots (an R&B group), called "That's When Your Heartaches Begin."

Elvis Presley-That's When Your Heartaches Begin.(private 1953). - YouTube

I think he was close, but hadn't seriously found his 'voice' yet.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:35 AM

606 posts, read 822,004 times
Wow, you guys have really high standards, I guess.
'Awful'? Jeez...

Well, I liked a lot of it:
A favorite:

Wow, YouTube just gets dumber and dumber...now I can't make videos of songs I own? Sorry, what is YT for again? Sheesh...more and longer ads everyday though.... Well, here's a version...shortened....approved by the higher powers...that's not as good, doesn't have him laughing and cracking up, but still....OKAY. not my internet, I guess. Not my YouTube: Just wasted 30 minutes making a video...for my kids, I guess. lol.

Elvis-Pocketful Of Rainbows - YouTube

Enjoy?
The other was better.
*sadness*

Old 10-31-2012, 08:58 PM

10,406 posts, read 12,667,603 times
Yes, it was horrible. And he didn't know how to sing from the diaphragm the way a real singer does. He forced everything from his throat.

By the way that was sarcasm.

Basically everything he performed and recorded was stellar. Even the filler stuff on his albums.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:59 PM

26,346 posts, read 82,794,063 times
If he had a bad voice then what type of voices to Neil Young, Kurt Cobain, Jimi Hendrix, and Peter Gabriel have?

Who's the worst male/female singer?

Old 10-31-2012, 09:06 PM

16,505 posts, read 20,901,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
If he had a bad voice then what type of voices to Neil Young, Kurt Cobain, Jimi Hendrix, and Peter Gabriel have?

Who's the worst male/female singer?
Or for that matter Steven Tyler, Mick Jagger, or Janis Joplin?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music