U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 02:58 PM

27,368 posts, read 15,806,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
That's just cause there's damn little good metal. Metal wasn't exactly ever pop music, but it was a lot more pop than it is today. Also, Adele.... I can't think of anything pop from the '80s that sounds like that. Given, I was in diapers so maybe I'm just not aware of it. If you look at billboards, some certainly sound similar to '80s bands. Maroon 5 or Train, for example. Then again... they are '80s bands. I don't see much '80s in Ellie Goulding, fun., Neon Trees, or Lumineers. I can't really speak to rap or country as I don't listen to it. I mean, Lumineers especially is pretty traditional folk rock, but folk rock was NOT pop music in the '80s. And it sounds pretty different from Arlo Guthrie.
I disagree,
Neon Trees sounds like maybe one of the new wave pop rock bands that wanted to sound like Duran Duran.
fun. sounds like more new wave but like say Tears for Fears.
Ellie Goulding sounds like someone but I can't put my finger on it.

The fact is most (pop) music is in a 1980's or 90's rut where in various ways we see rehashes of 80's synthpop, classic pop rock (like most of the Disney acts like early Miley, early Demi and the Jonas Brothers) or 90's R&B pop. Few try something different ad that sticks like say a Cee-Lo with "F*** You" or Ariana Grande with "Problem." While those songs sound similar to each other, they are different on the radio. Rachel Platten's "Fight Song" is the same theory just sounds different. But for most it's either Britney Spears, Madonna or maybe say an 90's female electronic singer.

Indie rock is its own thing, especially indie folk like say The Lumineers, The Civil Wars, Mumford & Sons, etc.

Metal is different but much smaller mainly because rock isn't as popular today as it has been. Unless you are a Fall Out Boy, you don't have the fanbase you did even 10 years ago. Rock was so much bigger then. But that don't mean bands don't experiment. Korn did their dub-step industrial album in 2011 entitled The Path of Totality which was a step out of the box. Linkin Park continues to be experimental with remix albums like 2013's Recharged. But the fact is every Halestorm song was previously written by Lita Ford or Vixen, every Daughtry song was previously done by Bon Jovi or Foo Fighters, every Airbourne song is an (very good) AC/DC rehash, and I'm sure we can all think of others for popular rock acts.

I think honestly the business changed to single releases rather than albums when you look at pop. When you get into indie or more fringe genres (I consider non-pop rock rock this) it is more album based.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 09:56 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,062,290 times
In my opinion, music evolves way, way faster than it used to. Primarily because of the internet. Instant access to things, shorter attention spans, and other factors.

This applies to all sorts of things arts related. Fashion and music are the two things I see that get much faster turnover these days than in year's past.

Now, of course, if you are only focusing on the force-fed radio acts, then I can't really comment much. But if you follow music regularly outside of that, you will see the organic progression of music has been sped up ten-fold. The evolution and cross-breeding of music these days has become so rapid that it is even hard to define a certain era or time period with a genre because it is all co-existing at once.

It's one thing I really love about the music scene today.

PS As a big metal fan, I think metal is better than it's ever been. It's not radio-popular, but who cares? The amount of artists putting out good, interesting music and unafraid to blend other genres into their albums is awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or