Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 05:59 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,932,751 times

Advertisements

Last night, I attended a concert given by a beautiful young woman singer/songwriter/poet. Her musical ability (guitar/piano) and stage presence were really quite impressive, but her voice and lyrics were...in a word, depressing to me. Has anyone else experienced this sad/depressed feeling after seeing a performance? Don't get me wrong, she was a very talented artist---it's just that the words to the songs and how she used her voice to sing them left me feeling melancholy. When I got home from the concert, I played a few upbeat tunes to pick myself up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 03:14 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,882,872 times
There really isn't a certain "music" as in genre that makes me feel sad. It's more of particular songs.

Michael Jackson's "You Are Not Alone" makes me feel sad.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:04 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,729,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyTam View Post
Last night, I attended a concert given by a beautiful young woman singer/songwriter/poet. Her musical ability (guitar/piano) and stage presence were really quite impressive, but her voice and lyrics were...in a word, depressing to me. Has anyone else experienced this sad/depressed feeling after seeing a performance? Don't get me wrong, she was a very talented artist---it's just that the words to the songs and how she used her voice to sing them left me feeling melancholy. When I got home from the concert, I played a few upbeat tunes to pick myself up!
Some of the music in the contemporary country (the ballads) does that to me, sometimes. The ones about divorce, the plight of our enlisted men and women, families in crisis. Just very sad themes. So I seldom listen to those songs or stations that play those songs.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:54 AM

10 posts, read 14,228 times
I bought Wayne Shorter' cd that featured Take 5 many, many years ago. I was doing housework while the CD was playing during which time Take Five features. Whilst it was playing I was generally very happy to be listening to it. However as the CD progressed, I became more and more morose although I did not quite understand why, I simply thought that my mood had changed. Anway eventually I realised that it was the music that attributed to my melanchony and I have to confess that I have not played that cd since. That was circa 10 year ago.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:10 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,417,405 times
The paper bag theme from American Beauty ruins me every time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8orMfZ5ceLE

Old 12-25-2012, 01:55 AM

6,802 posts, read 6,715,308 times

Glycerine

Old 12-25-2012, 01:56 AM

6,802 posts, read 6,715,308 times
Shoot, now I need some Laid.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,741 times
Music libre de derechos para usar en peliculas, videos, publicidades, paginas webs y Youtube, After have Musica Libre de Derechos, Licencia la musica que necesitas para tus proyectos comerciales,

Old 01-05-2013, 11:49 AM

375 posts, read 369,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyTam View Post
Who is this artist???

Some people are just wired to be tuning forks for melancholia! I say embrace it.

For me, what you described would be equivalent to eating beef jerky after ice cream to get the sweet taste out of my mouth. I couldn't do it.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:13 PM

522 posts, read 622,690 times
Two songs that strike me as sad even though they are instrumental or in a language I don't understand.

Samuel Barber - Adagio for Strings, op.11. Uncut - YouTube

Huun-Huur-Tu - Eshten Charlyyry Berge (It's Hard to be Parted From a Friend) - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music