Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 11:47 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,500,035 times

Advertisements

Forgive me for the stark generalizations, but I do believe that this should be a topic of discussion.

Many old people seem to anguish and lament an older, nostalgic era of popular music, one which supposedly "emphasized talent over image". If that's not one of the most ignorant and cynical assumptions I've heard, then I don't know what is. It's fine and understandable that a previous era of music they grew up with provides a nostalgia factor for them, but some of this cynicism is irritating if not mind boggling, in all honesty.

Mind you, I considered myself a musically tasteful open-minded person. I've come to realize that many genres are pleasing to my ears, whether it be the lush, poppy sings of Lady Gaga and Madonna, to the heavy metal numbers of Pink Floyd, to blues-inspired artists like Joe Bonamassa, and so forth. So why then, do old people make these dumb assumptions that music marketed to youth somehow doesn't qualify as music at all (LMFAO), and even further suggest that it is the young people who are cynical (again, LOL)?

There are TONS of talented mainstream artists today. Yep, I said it. Talent is NOT an aspect that is subjective. You either have it in that area or you don't. Kanye West, Lady Gaga, Beyonce, Kesha, Rihanna, Eminem, Britney Spears, Katy Perry, Adele, all of them are. Because clearly, they've had to be talented in some area to acquire the level of fame and notoriety that they've gotten (in fact, most of these performers either write their own songs or produce their own songs or both, in addition to singing), whether it be from professional critics or fans. I just have to laugh when someone makes dumb assumptions and concludes that every modern artist cannot sing for the life of them because "they hide behind eccentric costumes". Let's not forget how terrible some of the older artist are, like Bob Dylan and Janice Joplin.

This has become more of a rant, but alas, this is something I don't get it. Is it a generational thing? It is preference? Discuss!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 03:12 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,104,585 times
Only thing I'll continue to complain about is the noticeable lack of groups as opposed to the solo artists wanting to "go it alone" all the time.

Yes you've proven you're tough and can hold your own now get back with the rest of boys/girls and make some better hits.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:14 AM

4,529 posts, read 5,137,340 times
I can't respond to a post where the OP calls Ke$ha, Britney Spears and Katy Perry talented and Bob Dylan and Janis Joplin terrible.

Any think I would say in response to this post would be less than kind.

And we wonder why we are feed the musical horse**** we are.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:42 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,985,404 times
I think it's ignorant to generalize that "old people" are all alike. Do other demographic groups all like exactly the same thing? You assume other peoples tastes are "dumb" because they do not match your own? It's called opinion, people of all ages have one. I will say there is still good music being made today, but much or most of it you don't hear on the radio. People might be tired of like sounding mediocre singers and auto-tuned recordings. Honestly one could market a very marginal singer and do very well, as long as she was in a skimpy costume with most of her body exposed. Though that form of marketing is nothing new, it does seem to continue to push the levels of good taste to new lows. Madonna, a 50 something woman exposing herself on stage, is she so void of talent she must rely on that? One has to wonder why it was a part of her performance. Singers such as Rihanna tweeting scantily clad photos, in an pathetic attempt for media exposure. More mature people grow tired of behaviors of this sort. Shock value is for immature minds, artists that employ this are apparently running on empty and have very little else to offer. Singing trashy lyrics is something else that may turn off people, but again there are people of different age groups that might find it foolish and offensive.

The singers you mentioned, don't appeal to me, I don't like their sound. That has nothing to do with age. There are singers from the old days that I also don't care for. I thought Janis Joplin was awful. Dylan was a great poet, but I never really cared for his voice.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:49 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times
It is not ignorance, of course...older folks have always nostalgia over music from their era! My parents did the same, as did theirs. Does not mean older folks can't have appreciation for newer music...although some might not... (I always watch music award shows-"keep up" although there are some I enjoy and others not at all).

I distinctly remember my mother asking me why I wanted to go to such and such concert, while playing her hits of the 50's! Or of the WWII years---the exact same gripes you have, being addressed towards MY generation of music. No one knew quite what to a of Woodstock... (if you know what that was...MY generation of music).

The point is each generation thinks their music is special-and it is.
One is not "better or worse" than the other.

I think it speaks to the power of music-to address current issues and styles, to quickly bring back memories of past times that were specific about an era...

Would you REALLY expect and want your parents to love and play music from "your" era? Isn't that music more directed towards young people your age NOW...speaking of what is important for your generation?

Oh, BTW:

Pink Floyd directed towards young people of YOUR generation?

Go ahead and think that, but allow those of us who literally lived a "Pink Floyd" youthful existence have a tiny smirk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
Forgive me for the stark generalizations, but I do believe that this should be a topic of discussion.

Many old people seem to anguish and lament an older, nostalgic era of popular music, one which supposedly "emphasized talent over image". If that's not one of the most ignorant and cynical assumptions I've heard, then I don't know what is. It's fine and understandable that a previous era of music they grew up with provides a nostalgia factor for them, but some of this cynicism is irritating if not mind boggling, in all honesty.

Mind you, I considered myself a musically tasteful open-minded person. I've come to realize that many genres are pleasing to my ears, whether it be the lush, poppy sings of Lady Gaga and Madonna, to the heavy metal numbers of Pink Floyd, to blues-inspired artists like Joe Bonamassa, and so forth. So why then, do old people make these dumb assumptions that music marketed to youth somehow doesn't qualify as music at all (LMFAO), and even further suggest that it is the young people who are cynical (again, LOL)?

There are TONS of talented mainstream artists today. Yep, I said it. Talent is NOT an aspect that is subjective. You either have it in that area or you don't. Kanye West, Lady Gaga, Beyonce, Kesha, Rihanna, Eminem, Britney Spears, Katy Perry, Adele, all of them are. Because clearly, they've had to be talented in some area to acquire the level of fame and notoriety that they've gotten (in fact, most of these performers either write their own songs or produce their own songs or both, in addition to singing), whether it be from professional critics or fans. I just have to laugh when someone makes dumb assumptions and concludes that every modern artist cannot sing for the life of them because "they hide behind eccentric costumes". Let's not forget how terrible some of the older artist are, like Bob Dylan and Janice Joplin.

This has become more of a rant, but alas, this is something I don't get it. Is it a generational thing? It is preference? Discuss!

Old 12-14-2012, 07:07 AM

1,921 posts, read 2,017,642 times
Quote:
. . . to the heavy metal numbers of Pink Floyd
You think Floyd is "heavey metal? Seriously? I think you're trolling a bit. Perhaps your viewpoint will change when you are older, but it is enevitable that as you age that you'll remember your generation's best music fondly, have amnesia about the really bad music you once liked, and hate the stuff "the kids" are listening to. That's just how it goes.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:11 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,292,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddySpice View Post
You think Floyd is "heavey metal? Seriously?
Yeah, it was difficult to take the post seriously after reading that. Pink Floyd is one of the lightest of the classic rock bands.

Old 12-14-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
I can't respond to a post where the OP calls Ke$ha, Britney Spears and Katy Perry talented and Bob Dylan and Janis Joplin terrible.

Any think I would say in response to this post would be less than kind.

And we wonder why we are feed the musical horse**** we are.
Did I say Janice Joplin and Bob Dylan were talentless? No. I said they were terrible singers. Try again.

Old 12-14-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddySpice View Post
You think Floyd is "heavey metal? Seriously? I think you're trolling a bit. Perhaps your viewpoint will change when you are older, but it is enevitable that as you age that you'll remember your generation's best music fondly, have amnesia about the really bad music you once liked, and hate the stuff "the kids" are listening to. That's just how it goes.
And what makes you think I'm trolling? Because I mistakenly labeled Pink Floyd a different genre?

Old 12-14-2012, 09:38 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Why are old people so cynical about mainstream music?
Because so much of it sucks ass.

And while that's always been the case, it sucks even more now because much of today's popular music requires little actual talent from the "artist." Studio production has long helped many artists sound better than they otherwise would have, but until recently the artist still had to do most of the work. Much of today's mainstream music is created by machines and it shows in the soulless, clinical final product. Like Ben Folds crooned (ironically so since he's genuinely talented), "I take the checks and face the facts -- some producer with computers fixes all my sh#*ty tracks."

Janis Joplin had more talent in her perpetually drunk pinkie than most of the "talented" artists you list have on the best day of their lives.

Last edited by Drover; 12-14-2012 at 09:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music