Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2013, 09:34 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,815,749 times

Advertisements

I really miss the headphones that I used to use back in the day. They covered the outer part of the ear and had a replaceable foam covering. They were standard issue with any Walkman style radio or cassette/CD player.

The new "ear buds" are something I haven't been that fond of.
Mainly because of (1) ear wax, and (2) comfort/hearing.

1. The ear wax that builds up in these are disgusting. With the old style phones you could just replace the foam pads periodically, and they never actually came in contact with the ear wax anyway. But the new ones just become chock full of ear wax very quickly. Most people don't seem to clean or maintain them, which I think is gross.

2. I have never been able to find a pair that sits comfortably in my ears and which have equal volumes. No, I am constantly having to adjust the placement. I have tried several styles and brands. I rarely have a moment where I can hear both stereo channels equally.

Does anyone else understand my frustration?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 09:42 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,795,000 times
Indeed I do. I've got a stockpile of slowly deteriorating headphones.

The earbuds irritate my ears after I've worn them for a little while.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:20 PM

1,030 posts, read 4,266,349 times
Oh yes I understand very much...

The sound quality is not that great when you have ear buds. After a while you get used to it and dont realize how much your missing.

I was in the market for a pair of normal headphones, of course the ones I wanted were like $500, which is nuts.. But I wanted a good pair so I can hear everything, Im an audiophile so it has to be that way.

My requirements were that they had to be over-ear, or on ear, and had to be compact and folding so I could stick them in my pocket instead of having clutter in phones that dont fold

I was looking and did a bunch of research on some pairs that I was looking at, I eventually settled with these....

Dr. Dre Beats, Solo HD- ran me $170 shipped.

They fold, come with a soft zipper case, come with an extra wire with volume control and a mic if you have an Iphone, and a cleaning cloth.
They are mid to high quality build, stainless steel hinges, titanium drivers, the ear pieces are two way adjustable and the cord is removable.

They sound pretty decent, I guess comparable to a set of studio phones, they are a tad bassy for me but the Ipod has an EQ so it helps.

My only real complaint is sometimes I like to listen to music before I go to sleep and they can get in the way so I have to keep my head straight up.

For the price I dont think you can get anything better and plus these phones have all the features I was looking for in a pair. Like I said, it was either minimum $500, or these for the features I wanted.

I was originally going to get these:http://audaud.com/photos/20061103151104_grado.jpg"]http://audaud.com/photos/20061103151104_grado.jpg"]http://audaud.com/photos/20061103151104_grado.jpg

Grado GS-1000, then I found out they run around $1000, they have some other models that are very nice though

Old 02-06-2013, 06:06 PM

18,196 posts, read 25,766,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cold View Post
Indeed I do. I've got a stockpile of slowly deteriorating headphones.

The earbuds irritate my ears after I've worn them for a little while.
Plus one!

Old 02-06-2013, 06:11 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,046,508 times
I wish you could test the big headphones out. It's a real gamble when you're dropping around a hundred bucks. I was only in one store where you could test some of them.

Earbuds are pretty safe and similar as long as you spend above 30 bucks.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:15 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,221,334 times
Dre beats are pretty good but way overpriced. I have a pair. I'm "from the 70s" and we had great head phones then. Actually all of our electronics were good. Speakers played with records sounded full and rich.

It's not just me or my age. My 19 year old son agrees and so does my nephew 25. I have those puny ear buds and I hate digital.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:19 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,815,749 times
I'll never spend more than around $10-20 for any headphones. I can still remember back when I listened
to my first Walkman in the 80's. The sound was far superior to any home stereo system I had heard. So, I
figure that anything you spend above that is going to be diminishing returns.

You used to could buy the Walkman style headphones - AND a package of dozen or so replacement foam earpads,
at any drugstore. But now I don't even know if they are still sold anymore, anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music