Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 10:51 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,709,525 times

Advertisements

I have always wanted to learn how to play the Guitar. What is best to learn on; Acoustic or Electric? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 12:33 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,861,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottIsInTheRain View Post
I have always wanted to learn how to play the Guitar. What is best to learn on; Acoustic or Electric? Thanks!
I'm a guitarist, and I started off learning classical on a steel-string guitar; after about a year, I got my first job, and switched to electric.

I'd generally suggest learning on an acoustic, because you can't hide behind effects like gain (distortion), reverb, etc and have to learn how to make the instrument sound good on its own.

The caveat to this is that, as was the case with me, at the time I basically listened to absolutely no acoustic music - I don't listen to folk and (at the time) wasn't really into classical or other styles that you generally play on an acoustic; because of that, what I was playing never sounded like what I wanted to play. I started to get much more into playing when I could actually make my songs sound like I wanted them to.

Old 03-02-2013, 06:41 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,352,256 times
It's really according to what you want to learn to play. I play mostly country and have always preferred a 6-string acoustic although I am now seeking a 12-string for the country/folk tunes. If you want to play rock, I'd say an electric would eventually be best suited but a decent acoustic would probably be easier to learn on.

You may want to consider an acoustic/electric? That way you can amplify your playing or not. There are some great acoustic/electrics out there but watch out for the bad ones that will do more to frustrate you than anything else.

Old 03-02-2013, 06:57 PM

1,396 posts, read 2,042,034 times
Acoustic...or acoustic electric. Not just any kind though. A resonator style...you will sound like these with one. One type....Fender F50 Resonator Dobro Guitar – Great Low Price | Dobro Guitar

Ry Cooder Paris, Texas - YouTube

Roy Rogers (slide guitar) - Walkin Blues - YouTube

Stevie Ray Vaughan - Life by the drop - YouTube

John Mellencamp - Paper In Fire - YouTube

Son House - Death Letter - YouTube

"Four Walls Of Raiford" - Preacher Stone - YouTube

Guess what kind of acoustic I own?......Yep!

Old 03-02-2013, 07:13 PM

Op, I still remember when I went to the guitar store to check mine out and play it...everyone was playing everything else. All of a sudden this "sound" came from the back. Everyone shut up and looked around...they are that unique.

The only guy on your block to have one, I bet...........

Old 03-02-2013, 07:21 PM

The dog man told ya about it.....

Rory Gallagher - Too Much Alcohol - YouTube

Old 03-02-2013, 07:30 PM

477 posts, read 802,926 times
I say electric.

Bar chords are easier to play than first position chords.
I find electric guitar necks are a bit thinner and the strings more forgiving.

I agree about not using effects until later.

I learned on an electric, I also owned a classical nylon string guitar,
also easy on the fingers with a nice mellow sound.

Old 03-02-2013, 07:43 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,274,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottIsInTheRain View Post
Either, my personal recommendation is that you play the kind of music you want to play. If you can play something that's recognizable it's a big motivator, but if you're into Tyrannosaurus Rex era Bolan and you're playing on a BC Rich KKV, through a Marshall you're not going sound like Bolan, conversely if your playing a Gibson Hummingbird, you're not going to sound like Kerry King. If you have electric you can always play clean, and should during practice in most cases.

The other issue with guitars is often the guitar you buy to learn on is cheap, and cheap guitars are not easy to play (regardless of acoustic or electric). This is a serious problem for the novice, at the time when you want the guitar to be the easiest to play, is exactly the time when you're least likely to have one to play. You can get around this somewhat by buying used from a reputable guitar store (so NOT Guitar Center), and telling them what you want it for, and your range, they may discount it on condition of taking some lessons, or throw in some lessons for free too.

So basically the choice is down to your musical tastes and aspirations, if you want to be the next Vai, Satch, Petrucci, go electric, if you want to be then next Andres Segovia, Chris Eldridge, Justo Fernandez, or Esteban Antonio, then acoustic's your way.

Old 03-02-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Either, my personal recommendation is that you play the kind of music you want to play. If you can play something that's recognizable it's a big motivator, but if you're into Tyrannosaurus Rex era Bolan and you're playing on a BC Rich KKV, through a Marshall you're not going sound like Bolan, conversely if your playing a Gibson Hummingbird, you're not going to sound like Kerry King. If you have electric you can always play clean, and should during practice in most cases.

The other issue with guitars is often the guitar you buy to learn on is cheap, and cheap guitars are not easy to play (regardless of acoustic or electric). This is a serious problem for the novice, at the time when you want the guitar to be the easiest to play, is exactly the time when you're least likely to have one to play. You can get around this somewhat by buying used from a reputable guitar store (so NOT Guitar Center), and telling them what you want it for, and your range, they may discount it on condition of taking some lessons, or throw in some lessons for free too.

So basically the choice is down to your musical tastes and aspirations, if you want to be the next Vai, Satch, Petrucci, go electric, if you want to be then next Andres Segovia, Chris Eldridge, Justo Fernandez, or Esteban Antonio, then acoustic's your way.
I agree about getting what you pay for too. It wasn't long after starting I ditched my elcheapo electric for a Gibson Les Paul Standard, Gibson SG Standard and a American Fender Texas Special Stratocaster...money well spent. My beginner was crap in short order...you can tell right away.

I got the acoustic right the first time.....

Old 03-02-2013, 08:38 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,352,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocker_Spaniel_Lover View Post
I got the acoustic right the first time.....
Youth many times goes along with a lack of money and I have owned a lot of acoustics, and electrics, that would have made a decent sized campfire if piled up and set afire. My first Martin in 1980 made me realize how much money I had wasted and fingertips I had sacrificed.

Unfortunately, like Gungnir has stated, there is often a positive correlation between age and wealth and the normal times in your life when you really need a decent guitar, you may not have the money for one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music