Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 10:34 AM

383 posts, read 404,264 times

Advertisements

Good post!^

This thread is already gold in one day!

Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin' [Electric](Blues) - YouTube

The Sky Is Crying - Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble - YouTube

Kenny Wayne Shepherd - Last Goodbye.mpg - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Code289 View Post
Is everybody ready for some flashy guitar playing?

These are the ones that make everybody go "now what"? lol

Jimi Hendrix - Gypsy Eyes - YouTube

Stevie Ray Vaughan - Pride and Joy (Studio version) - YouTube

Kenny Wayne Shepherd - King's Highway - YouTube
Gotta repost this one. The audio doesn't do it any justice. This is also a very special song. It's the first tune I heard after thousands of attempts from other guitarists to get Stevie's pioneer "sawing" strings technique right.

Kenny Wayne Shepherd - King's Highway (Studio Version) - YouTube

Old 03-27-2013, 01:08 PM

909 posts, read 1,062,496 times
Did you leave somebody really good out???

Robin Trower- Rock Me Baby(Live!) 1975-Sweden - YouTube

Old 03-27-2013, 02:18 PM

No...Robin is good, but he isn't in the same league as these three.

Not even Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck or Eddie Van Halen.

Eric watched Stevie play and had to leave the show because he started crying once.

That might tell you something...

Jimi Hendrix - Purple Haze - YouTube

Stevie Ray Vaughan & Jeff Beck - YouTube

Kenny Wayne Shepherd-What's Goin' Down (Studio Version) - YouTube

Old 03-27-2013, 03:00 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,836,916 times
I love all three but feel Kenny is not in the same league as Stevie and Jimi imho. I also believe KWS does not get enough credit for his ability. He is isn't really blazing new trails, but he damn sure has the fire and chops! They are all ferocious players and Jimi truly changed the way the instrument was played. I have a list of favorites a mile long, but there is never a day Jimi is not hanging out on the top shelf with a very select few.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:07 PM

909 posts, read 1,062,496 times
I saw Clapton five nights ago and Trower can still play as good or better which is probably why Jack Bruce still plays with Robin sometimes. But Eric was still really good, as was Bramhall Junior. As a matter of fact, the first time I saw Pink Floyd, David Gilmour's phrasing and attack reminded me of Trower. I've also seen Jeff Beck and Van Halen several times each and I could easily say neither is as good as Yngwie but it's sort of apples vs. oranges at that point - they don't really do the same thing. I have to admit though, when saw I Van Halen on their very first tour (they opened for the Ronnie Montrose "Open Fire" set in a minor league hockey arena) - we were quite blown away by Eddie's guitar playing, especially "Eruption" as that style of hammer-ons was virtually unheard of then.

What this world needs it a "best guitarists you never heard of" thread. Hmmm...

Old 03-31-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
I love all three but feel Kenny is not in the same league as Stevie and Jimi imho. I also believe KWS does not get enough credit for his ability. He is isn't really blazing new trails, but he damn sure has the fire and chops! They are all ferocious players and Jimi truly changed the way the instrument was played. I have a list of favorites a mile long, but there is never a day Jimi is not hanging out on the top shelf with a very select few.
Well of course he isn't. He's the only surviving member of this trio still alive. He keeps Jimi and Stevie alive by doing so. Kenny is already older then Jimi when he passed. Stevie was the exact same age as Kenny is NOW when he was killed as well. KWS stands above and beyond what anyone else is doing right now. Name one player on the current radio who sounds like that? Joe is very good, but he doesn't have nearly as many songs, and his style is more in tune with Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck's....Brit Blues. Kenny's sound is ALL AMERICAN.

It doesn't really matter what "we" think anyway. BB King, Eric Clapton, and Stevie's band members Chris and Tommy feel the same way as I do. You see who is playing with him in that True Lies ^^ video....right?

The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Bold as Love - YouTube

Kenny Wayne Shepherd - Cincinnati 2011 - YouTube

Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble - Rude Mood - YouTube

Kenny Wayne Shepherd - Anywhere the wind blows - YouTube

Ten bucks says Stevie's brother Jimmie does too!

The Fabulous Thunderbirds: Tuff Enuff - YouTube

Old 03-31-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVofM View Post
I saw Clapton five nights ago and Trower can still play as good or better which is probably why Jack Bruce still plays with Robin sometimes. But Eric was still really good, as was Bramhall Junior. As a matter of fact, the first time I saw Pink Floyd, David Gilmour's phrasing and attack reminded me of Trower. I've also seen Jeff Beck and Van Halen several times each and I could easily say neither is as good as Yngwie but it's sort of apples vs. oranges at that point - they don't really do the same thing. I have to admit though, when saw I Van Halen on their very first tour (they opened for the Ronnie Montrose "Open Fire" set in a minor league hockey arena) - we were quite blown away by Eddie's guitar playing, especially "Eruption" as that style of hammer-ons was virtually unheard of then.

What this world needs it a "best guitarists you never heard of" thread. Hmmm...
AND I said American Stratocaster players......Robin is a Brit.....

Old 03-31-2013, 11:31 AM

I'm glad I fixed this thread. It was going down hill fast......

Jimi Hendrix - Night Bird Flying - YouTube

Stevie Ray Vaughan & Dick Dale - Pipeline (1987) - YouTube

Kenny Wayne Shepherd - One Foot on the Path - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music