Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 01:58 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,210,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
A lot of Southern rap is indecipherable to me because people like TI have the weirdest accents in my opinion. It also all sounds the same as far as the beat and lyrics go. I like old Biggie songs and a lot of stuff by Eminem because they have meaning.
I guess most (yet not all) Southern rappers always have a way of being undescribable I guess. I really do like T.I. though. My other favorite Southern Rappers are Mystikal, B.o.B., Outkast, Scarface, Ludacris, Trina, Pusha T, Missy Elliott, Juvenile, Big Krit, Yelawolf, and Ace Hood (He's not that bad).

And I agree with your last sentence too. P.S. A song can have meaning while also having something you might dance a bit too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 07:24 PM

19,705 posts, read 20,236,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post

But the flow in which Southern rap easily goes with the beat, the drawl, the slang and the wittiness just seems so at ease instead of forced like other rap. They're gifted without even trying. They are just the definition of playa in my book.
I have to agree. I live in the south, and while I don't really listen to much of the mainstream stuff, alotta local cats I know get down, and they are all the way live. It's a way of life, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense
Nas is terrible? Are you kidding? He's one of the best there is! You like 50 and say Nas is terrible?!?
Yeah, I'm w/ you on that...lol

Old 03-27-2014, 09:44 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Lil' John is why southern rap gets a bad rap. Even Flo Rida who to me was an acquired taste is a part of the problem. I'm much more of a rock guy but the old school east coast artists (Beasties, Run, Public Enemy) and Eminem and D-12 are the rappers I'll listen to for hip hop. Another artist I like though he is mostly on the mix-tape level is Pappoose and he doesn't even do bar based raps.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:02 PM

7 posts, read 7,871 times
Almost certain OutKast doesn't get a bad rap. they're highly regarded in all hip hop circles.

Old 10-13-2014, 04:39 PM

4,503 posts, read 4,612,137 times
Quote:
I've really been getting into hiphop after years of just ignoring it and I have to say from an outsiders perspective it's way better than the stuff the Coasts are putting out. I love East Coast rap and think West Coast is on it's last leg, just terrible (with the exception of Kenrick Lamar) but Southern rap especially from Texas and Memphis is outstanding.
I'm don't know much about rap, I tried listening to it but I just couldn''t get into. All that said, it doesn't surprise me at all about Texas. Some of the best rock, country and blues and folk music ever made came out of Texas. From Roy Orbison and Buddy Holly to Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson to ZZ Topp and the Doobie Brothers to Lightning Hopkins and Albert Collins to Guy Clark, Townes Van Zandt and Kris Kristoffersen. I wouldn't be one bit surprised that some of the best rap ever made came out of Texas. Texas Music. It's the real deal.

Old 10-14-2014, 01:22 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,820,854 times
Yeah, Lil Jon is one reason southern rap gets a bad name, not everybody likes that clubby music. I like Eminem, Nas, and the likes. Who cares if Nas sings about political stuff one song, then hoes the next, The latter I wouldn't listen to, hell, Eminem sings about anything too. I don't listen to rap that much, but Outkast, and ibviously Nappy Roots are two southern groups I listen to.

Old 06-26-2019, 03:33 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,566,837 times
Southern rap gets a bad rep because it's seen as less conscious and the artists aren't as lyrical as those of East or West Coast. Chamillionaire, Outkast and Goodie Mob are lyrical artists, so there is lyrical artists down South, just that they're independent.

Old 09-25-2019, 12:07 PM

3,730 posts, read 1,320,271 times
Quote:
East Coast rap does try too hard and I don't know anyone besides those from the Northeast who even cares about East Coast rap beyond the few songs on the radio they hear.

Nas is terrible, what on Earth are you smoking? Vado? Oh man that beat was so old school it was just repetitive and utterly lacking any creativity. I cannot stand that cliche record scratch and slow hip hop beat.

The "thought provoking" "socially conscious lyrics" is pretentious to the bone. If you want that and a phat beat with even better more creative lyrics, go for Houston's Z-Ro and Trae The Truth. Their beats are far better, the lyrics far more meaningful and they're just pure hustla.

I don't want to hear Nas or Mos Def try to rhyme like they're wannabe spoken word poets.

The only hip hop artists I respect from the East are the Wu Tang, some of Jay-Z's stuff, BIGGIE, Old Dirty and 50. Other than that the music is beyond played out. If I were to play any of that old school electric boogaloo junk at my party, I would get kicked out.

If you haven't noticed most rappers from both coasts are taking Southern beats. Kendrick's Swimming Pools, French Montana's Don't Stop, Kanye's Mercy, and even Drake cannot stop reppin' Houston.

Do you seriously play that junk list at your parties or when your chilling out with some friends? If you do I am surprised your friends do not tell you to update your playlist or tell you to get better taste because that stuff is so whack it's beyond comprehension.

You lost this argument when you denounced Nas and Mos Def, but praised 50. Nas and Mos Def would lyrically **** on 50 any day of the week. And they are far from "wannabe word poets." They ARE word poets,

Old 09-25-2019, 12:10 PM

3,730 posts, read 1,320,271 times
Quote:
Yes, Nas is terrible. He can try to come up with as many lyrically poetic rhymes as he wants, his stuff sounds pretentious. When one minute you're rapping about African history and literature, but the next it's money and hoes, it just turns me off and the guy comes off as though he just created a masterful song.

Yeah, because artists like Tupac, Talib Kweli, and Common have never done that before. Nas, like many other artists, rap about their experiences and what they grew up on. Nas was always obsessed with history and receiving a good education, but was also addicted to the street life. Hence the material.

You're reaching way too hard man.

Old 09-25-2019, 11:07 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,526,116 times
Southern rap gets a bad rap?

The best selling hip hop group is from Atlanta, Outkast.

The most influential rapper in modern hip hop, Lil Wayne, is from New Orleans. For better or for worse, he pioneered the whole singing style of rap that you can hear in rappers like Drake.

Im an East Coast hip hop fan through and through, but southern hip hop changed the genre and enabled the evolution of the genre.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music