Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2013, 10:52 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,349,728 times

Advertisements

Did anybody else catch the documentary on Showtime about the short-lived career of the family musical group "The Cowsills"? They were the prototype for TV's "The Partridge Family". There was a mom, five sons, and a daughter performing in the group. Tragically, two of the brothers - Bill and Barry - died within months of each other in 2005 and early 2006. Barry Cowsill lived in New Orleans during Hurricane Katrina and drowned (his remains were identified months later) and the day of his memorial it was announced that brother Bill (the oldest member of the group) had suddenly passed away. He had battled health problems for years due to drug addiction. The mother, Barbara, died in 1985 of emphysema.

They were a very talented family. They could have gone far with the right management. Unfortunately, their father had the job. From the way he was described, he reminds me of Joseph Jackson (the Jackson 5's father).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 10:01 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,348,680 times
Sounds interesting, I will have to look for it.

Old 03-30-2013, 10:18 PM

24,111 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Did anybody else catch the documentary on Showtime about the short-lived career of the family musical group "The Cowsills"? They were the prototype for TV's "The Partridge Family". There was a mom, five sons, and a daughter performing in the group. Tragically, two of the brothers - Bill and Barry - died within months of each other in 2005 and early 2006. Barry Cowsill lived in New Orleans during Hurricane Katrina and drowned (his remains were identified months later) and the day of his memorial it was announced that brother Bill (the oldest member of the group) had suddenly passed away. He had battled health problems for years due to drug addiction. The mother, Barbara, died in 1985 of emphysema.

They were a very talented family. They could have gone far with the right management. Unfortunately, their father had the job. From the way he was described, he reminds me of Joseph Jackson (the Jackson 5's father).
I liked that band way back when...I must have been 10 or 11. I loved "Flower Girl".

I has also heard that the father was a graduate of the "Joe Jackson School of Exploitative and Abusive Parenting". Very sad.

I'd really like to see the documentary.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:06 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,349,728 times
A TV special they did in 1968 is on "You Tube". A typical 1960's musical variety show, but it really showcases how likeable and talented (and cute) those kids were. The mother isn't up to par with Shirley Jones, looks wise or personality wise, but she's believable. The special was such a success, they were considered for a summer replacement series for "The Carol Burnett Show", but it never materialized. Supposedly, dad Bud Cowsill had something to do with that. As a manager, he was very difficult.

There's a part where they're singing "Indian Lake" and during it they voice the mother's thoughts out loud, like, "I should be cleaning the house, doing dishes...". Then they show Barry singing and playing bass, showing lots of teeth, and she thinks (says), "Barry has a cavity." I had a morbid thought about that - it was how they eventually identified him, when his body was found after Katrina - by his dental records...

Old 03-31-2013, 07:07 AM

24,111 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
A TV special they did in 1968 is on "You Tube". A typical 1960's musical variety show, but it really showcases how likeable and talented (and cute) those kids were. The mother isn't up to par with Shirley Jones, looks wise or personality wise, but she's believable. The special was such a success, they were considered for a summer replacement series for "The Carol Burnett Show", but it never materialized. Supposedly, dad Bud Cowsill had something to do with that. As a manager, he was very difficult.

There's a part where they're singing "Indian Lake" and during it they voice the mother's thoughts out loud, like, "I should be cleaning the house, doing dishes...". Then they show Barry singing and playing bass, showing lots of teeth, and she thinks (says), "Barry has a cavity." I had a morbid thought about that - it was how they eventually identified him, when his body was found after Katrina - by his dental records...
That's chilling...

Thanks for letting me know about the special on Youtube.

These "momagers" ( and in this case "dadagers" , do so much to harm the lives of their talented off spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music