Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 03:32 PM

42 posts, read 117,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
I wouldn't say that he's responsible single-handedly for destroying hip hop (nor do I think it's been destroyed), but if I had to pick one rapper who represents more than any other the negatives of hip hop, it would be 50 Cent.

50 Cent to me is the Britney Spears of rap. That is to say that, like Britney Spears, there is absolutely nothing remarkable about him in terms of talent, charisma, looks or voice. Some rappers are known for their witty wordplay (Ludacris, Eminem), their unique flow (Snoop Dogg, Nelly), their sociopolitical commentary (Nas, Mos Def), or their innovative music (Kanye West, Outkast, The Roots); and to me, 50 Cent has none of those things. His rap skills are unremarkable, the beats to his songs are virtually all the same and the subject doesn't change from the rap stereotypes of pimps, drugs, women, flashing wealth and violence. Quite a few of the artists I mentioned earlier do the same, but they at least have some sort of saving grace usually in that they have something that makes them unique whereas I feel like you could take almost any kid out of a housing project in Jamaica, Queens and with the right producers, handlers and trainers turn him into a "50 Cent" (which is the same way I feel about Britney Spears).

There are plenty of other artists in hip hop who I have similar criticisms of. Hip hop is rife with one hit wonders who record a song about ass-shaking, have it shoot to the top of the charts, release a platinum album full of generic rap and then fall off the face of the Earth. T-Pain, Juvenile, Lil Jon, Ja Rule, Soulja Boy, MIMS, Mystikal. I could go on and on. The reason why I pick on 50 Cent more than these guys is the sole reason that he has sold more records than any of them and continues to have a stellar career. More than any other rapper, he has made a career out of generic mediocrity and that's why I think he's the poster boy for what is wrong with the state of hip hop music today. No other rapper to me has been able to stretch their lack of talent as far as he has.
i have to say that you are the only person that really understands what hip hop is really about from what you have put it is totally true
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 11:43 AM

1,348 posts, read 3,577,027 times
As you get older, its a natural tendeny to think contemporary music isn't any good. With a few exceptions, thats true for everyone. And in 20 years, today's youth who grew up listening to 50Cent, Master P, White Stripes, Justin Timberlake, whatever, are going to be reminiscing about all the great music they used to listen to and dismissing their kids' music as "crap".

Old 01-31-2008, 02:49 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,319,432 times
I think back when that whole No-Limit, Cash Money, Big Tymers and all the other cliques popped on the scene pretty much was the beginning of the end for me....

not only were the songs stupid "make em say ughhh"??? but the videos were lame - remember the one where they did donuts in the parking lot through the whole video...

Old 02-01-2008, 09:21 PM

84 posts, read 354,773 times
To really go to where it started, I would say PUFF DADDY. Even though he is not a 'rapper', but he sure a hell tried to be one. The worst part though was when he found MASE. That's when things started to go down hill. Rappers start to want to sound soft. Upbeat, fast-mouthed rapping was dying from then on as well as lyrics. Back in the days rappers are fighting for the illest, most clever verse ever, but today they are fighting for who endorse the most strippers.

It is sad how hip hop has turned out.

I'd say it all started after B.I.G. death------>Puffy found Mase--->slow, sleepy rap---->no limit---->retarded lyrics----->non-talented 50cents----->wanna-be hard core type of wanna-be-smooth-crappy thuggish rap--->down south 'hip hop' a la Lil Jon type of beat -----> the dead of hip hop.

However, I have to give props to artist such as Jay-Z and Outkast who have succeeded to keep hip hop somewhat interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Jae View Post
If your name starts with " lil' ", then you're killing hip hop.
Lil Kim was tight but her talent died with the death of B.I.G.

Quote:
Check out Binary Star, Atmosphere, or Brother Ali for some fine hip hop.
Lilttle Brothers is also not bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post

You may have your occasional really good song (i.e., "In Da Club"; "Gold Digger"; "Lean Like a Cholo"; "My Lumps")

'GOOD SONGS'?!?! ...in da club?!?! Good song!?! Lean like a cholo, good song?!?! My lumps?!?! I'm sorry, you must have not lived the great hip hop era 1980-1996. So so sad

Last edited by KanniJay; 02-01-2008 at 09:36 PM..

Old 02-01-2008, 10:56 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,272,023 times
I like some of those :,(.... I think 50 Cent, Mims, Eminem, and Snoop Dog are shameful people who can;t rap or sing...or just like to talk about naked women in a mike while making funny faces and a rolling hill of sounds.

Old 04-13-2008, 05:21 PM

762 posts, read 1,592,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
I like some of those :,(.... I think 50 Cent, Mims, Eminem, and Snoop Dog are shameful people who can;t rap or sing...or just like to talk about naked women in a mike while making funny faces and a rolling hill of sounds.
Eminem and Snoop Dogg can't rap?? since when??

Old 04-13-2008, 08:58 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,266,153 times
I don't know who killed it but it is most definitely dead.

Old 05-02-2008, 03:31 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,581,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
Hah!
Generally I agree - but I kind of like Lil' Wayne's delivery. I don't know his stuff too well but he sounds like a decent rapper.

Aesop Rock is also a good place to start for those curious about how good, non-mainstream hip-hop sounds. He's got an odd voice but really interesting flow and some of the most intelligent (and not overtly political) lyrics around.
Always has solid musical production behind him, too.
I can play a few Aes Rock beats on piano.

Old 05-02-2008, 04:39 PM

23,862 posts, read 71,231,192 times
The creation of gangsta rap ruined everything.
I´m no fan of hiphop,but some of it were pretty good in the late 70s and early 80s.

Old 05-02-2008, 05:47 PM

4,070 posts, read 5,578,744 times
Whoever killed 2Pac and Biggie is responsible. All downhill free for all without them. After they died its all cRap nowadays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music