U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 06:02 PM
Status: "those denying the robot threat are probably robots too" (set 27 days ago)

18,515 posts, read 17,952,089 times

Advertisements

We lost one of the great ones today, his talent was only exceeded by his humility...

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/28/ar...t-74.html?_r=0

Magnolia ~ J.J. Cale - YouTube

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 07:43 PM

13,062 posts, read 9,044,666 times
R I P Great songwriter. A big influence in rock n roll. Innovative, sometimes just for innovation's sake. Prayers and thoughts for his family.

Old 07-27-2013, 07:45 PM

J.J. Cale - Crazy Mama (Studio) - YouTube

Old 07-27-2013, 08:33 PM

JJ Cale - My Baby and Me - YouTube

Old 07-28-2013, 12:01 PM

7,779 posts, read 8,675,855 times
Sure hated to hear JJ is gone. Met him quite a few years ago in Oklahoma City.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:55 PM

J.J Cale / Call Me The Breeze - YouTube

It's funny how people talk about him as the heir to the old tradition of sitting and picking on the back porch. Although there are elements in his music that remind you of Slim Harpo and even Hoagy Carmichael nobody had previously put things together in the way he put them together

Old 07-29-2013, 01:39 AM

17,060 posts, read 10,985,007 times
Cale was just too cool for words.
At a time of rock 'n roll excess, he could have afforded the mansion in L.A. and all, but he preferred to live in an old Airstream, out in the desert.

His guitar, the one he's playing in After Midnight, was a $100 Harmony that had no back on it and about 5 pickups he installed himself. Some of them didn't work, but it was his main guitar for years. And he was a terrific guitar player, equally as good as the people who bought his songs and made them famous.

J.J. heard Clapton's version of After Midnight for the first time on his old beater's radio while he was cruising down a freeway. He pulled off and bought a brand new Chevrolet at the first dealer he came across. That was about as extravagant as he ever got.

I wish I had the chance to have met him. He was always high on my list of favorites.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:53 AM

7,779 posts, read 8,675,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Sure hated to hear JJ is gone. Met him quite a few years ago in Oklahoma City.
OP asks me to tell more, so, I will expand a bit, not that there is much to tell. It had to be in the late seventies. I lived in OKC and it was the day my divorce became final. A girlfriend had come over and wanted us to go to a club across town. "Love Wednesday," the day was called. Every Wednesday the club opened at 2 PM with a live Country Western band and was open until 2 AM. I was on the dance floor almost continually, but, sometime that evening, JJ stopped by my table to introduce himself. We only chatted for a moment, but, I've always remembered and read about him now and then. I danced eleven hours that day and am glad to have been at my table long enough to have met him.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:31 AM

15,470 posts, read 18,766,306 times
Like Ghengis said, his talent was only exceeded by his humility. Yes!

I believe there is a small photograph of him on the back cover of his Naturally lp, his first lp from 1971. I would be hard pressed to find any other photos on any of his 70's through 90's album covers. He was just not a high profile guy. In fact, I honestly can't remember any interviews he gave during this time. To show how low profile he was he was doing very small gigs at night clubs and worked some temporary jobs, one of them being a flower delivery man, while Eric Clapton was having one of J.J. Cale's songs on the top 10 charts. That song (After Midnight) was penned a few years before Clapton's 45 and subsequent album hit the stores in the summer of 1970. Cale's version is on his first lp. Clapton and Cale stayed close; in fact they won a Grammy for best contemporary blues album for their 2008 lp- "The Road To Escondido."

He had a bluesy, down home style about him that was infectious. And his material has been covered by a wide variety of artists over the last few decades, a few of them are Waylon Jennings, Carlos Santana, and Beck. There are several others. He will be missed. RIP, Mr. Cale.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:15 PM
BMI

5,162 posts, read 2,704,991 times
Very low key guy indeed. RIP.

I saw a very interesting documentary on him a few years ago on TV (on PBS?...not sure)

Anyway, I always really liked another Eric Clapton JJ Cale cover "Cocaine".
Though I like Cale's original version better, I prefer JJ's voice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music