U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2013, 02:29 AM

719 posts, read 1,159,229 times

Advertisements

What's going on? Where are the people who use to wear band t-shirts? Where are the people who use to roll down their windows and blast some alternative, punk rock, metal or whatever????Is it just me, or does it truly feels like music has become just something more on the background, like a car's horn or an ambulance's siren??? Does people even like music anymore??? Wow, it's so disappointing...it's hard because I still feel like I have discovered a gold mine when I listen to an album that I love from a band I've never heard of...I'm still looking for that song that would blow me away....I still wear my The Cure t-shirts...I still roll down the windows when they play R.E.M's "The one I love"....I still work on my guitar skills and play in bands, even though I know I 'll never earn a living as a musician....I go to concerts religiously....I still buy records from my favorite bands the day they are released...am I alone?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 02:45 AM

229 posts, read 161,206 times
Nope, you are not alone.

I've been blasting a band whom I've been exploring recently all over wherever I go.

Had people staring at me as it was blasting out of my truck many times.

AC/DC, Guns N Roses and ZZ Top combined......

AIRBOURNE- DIAMOND IN THE ROUGH - YouTube

Old 09-02-2013, 02:47 AM

229 posts, read 161,206 times
You can say that again.

Where's the f%$# YEAH button?................

Airbourne - No Way But The Hard Way - YouTube

Old 09-02-2013, 02:48 AM

404 posts, read 705,120 times
There is more music available than ever before and everyone has instant access to as much of it as they want so I think what you are seeing is a modern trend to be somewhat interested in a large variety of music versus everyone being dedicated to the few popular bands of the time.

That being said if you go to any concert you are sure to see fellow music lovers

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 4

Old 09-02-2013, 04:26 AM

9,620 posts, read 12,813,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey mouse is dead View Post
What's going on? Where are the people who use to wear band t-shirts? Where are the people who use to roll down their windows and blast some alternative, punk rock, metal or whatever????Is it just me, or does it truly feels like music has become just something more on the background, like a car's horn or an ambulance's siren??? Does people even like music anymore??? Wow, it's so disappointing...it's hard because I still feel like I have discovered a gold mine when I listen to an album that I love from a band I've never heard of...I'm still looking for that song that would blow me away....I still wear my The Cure t-shirts...I still roll down the windows when they play R.E.M's "The one I love"....I still work on my guitar skills and play in bands, even though I know I 'll never earn a living as a musician....I go to concerts religiously....I still buy records from my favorite bands the day they are released...am I alone?
You're definitely not, but the state of mainstream music has devolved to a point that barely anyone could have imagined in the 90's.

I knew it was coming around 2005; most of the stuff on the radio really sucked, but I still listened to KROQ here in LA as a matter of habit. I was sitting there in traffic and they played Papa Roach (sucks), then Blink 182 (sucks), then it was one of their "block party" segments where they play two or three songs by a specific band. It was Linkin Park (sucks), then Papa Roach again, and then Blink 182... again. I was literally gritting my teeth with anger, when the DJ comes on and is like, "WHHOOOOOAAAA YEAAAAH DUDE, WHOOOOOA THAT WAS THE NEW BLINK 182 SINGLE TO THE EXTREEEME!! WHOA I KNOW YOU GUYS LOVED THAT SO MUCH, I'M GONNA PLAY IT AGAIN YYYEEEEEEAAAH WOOOO EXTREME" and started playing the same damn song all over again. I just turned it to NPR and listened to some dork speaking in monotone about Iraq instead.

I play guitar - within six feet of me right now, I've got a Les Paul goldtop, a '52RI Telecaster, and a metallic pink Strat, all of whom have custom electronics I've done on my own, on top of a storage unit full of other axes. It amazes me how younger people who are getting into their late teens or early 20's think you're a guru if you know six chords and can arpeggiate them. I have band shirts going back to my early teens in the 90's, I have hundreds of gigs of music on my computer, nearly all of which was ripped from my CD collection or from LP's that I transferred to Minidisc and then to mp3 in '99. I actually played in a bonafide hardcore band in Boston and we recorded our first split on a $30 four track I got at Goodwill. When I wasn't busy writing songs about beating up cops and hating rich people, I was falling asleep to sprawling experimental/electronic tracks by Coil, Chrome, The Residents, and Underworld.

Anyways...

There is indeed good music out there but in all seriousness, you will not hear it on your local mainstream radio station. If there's a college radio station near you, then you may get blurbs here and there, but much of it'll be women talking about their vaginas, some hardline-left kid going on about reparations followed by some hardline-right kid blabbering about the gold standard and false flags, and then someone playing Imagine Dragons and Kimya Dawson.

I've found that there are some actually, legitimately good stations on Sirius/XM that have played some really awesome stuff that I hadn't heard of otherwise - it's $20/mo for the basic package plus the hardware (I have it in my car and then the app for my phone). I heard this band on there, and I'm a huge fan now... they have a lot of the raw energy that is lacking from most of the crap out there these days:

John & Brittany "Start Sinning" debut on Little Steven's Underground Garage 3/31/13 - YouTube

Old 09-02-2013, 06:39 PM

3,882 posts, read 7,433,183 times
Major grammatical errors in your heading. Overlooking this, my response is that it means nothing to me. People will do what they do. I do not care how people react to music, what they listen to, and what they buy. I listen to my music and wish to be left alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or