Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 01:58 PM

2,259 posts, read 4,729,175 times

Advertisements

Growing up in Holland MI every spring I hear the high school marching band play Tip Toe Through the Tulips during the Tulip Fest. So I finally went to YouTube to see what all the hype was around Tiny Tim. Well I listned to about thirty seconds and was kind of surprised to see someone who looked like Danny Divito as the Penguin, and to hear a voice that sounded like it belonged to the Lolly-Pop Guild. So please explain to me...why was Tiny Tim as popular as he was???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 02:17 PM

8,408 posts, read 6,781,810 times
He was an odd looking but personable guy who sang atrociously and became something of a celebrity back in the day. When he got married in 1969 on the Johnny Carson show it was one of the most watched shows on TV up to that time. I remember many years ago before he died seeing him very early am at Chicago's O'Hare airport. Long stringy hair. Had a big shopping bag full of stuff that he was carrying around.

Old 09-12-2013, 02:53 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,518,443 times
He was just something different and his act caught on for a while.

Old 09-12-2013, 03:01 PM

2,259 posts, read 4,729,175 times
what was his appeal, or was he more of a novelty act?

Old 09-12-2013, 04:41 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,574,198 times
did McCartney's "RAM On" from RAM sound like Tiny Tim?

Old 09-12-2013, 04:44 PM

102,086 posts, read 107,127,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
what was his appeal, or was he more of a novelty act?
Total novelty act. Kind of an anti-celebrity, with his outrageous appearance and lack of talent. Sort of a super-cliche hippie, like poking fun at the whole thing, I think.

Old 09-14-2013, 10:14 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,287,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Total novelty act. Kind of an anti-celebrity, with his outrageous appearance and lack of talent. Sort of a super-cliche hippie, like poking fun at the whole thing, I think.
It was the time period. He looked and dressed like a hippie, but he was just so freaking weird. I couldn't tell if he was poking fun or was serious in his very odd way. Watching him being interviewed was just painful.

Tiny Tim - YouTube

Old 09-15-2013, 12:39 AM

222 posts, read 468,486 times
The complete story of his life is sad. I think of him as a real life Napoleon Dynamite. The last days of Tiny Tim | Balder and Dash | Roger Ebert

Born Herbert Khaury

Tiny Tim

Old 10-24-2013, 11:45 AM

18,171 posts, read 25,717,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
He was an odd looking but personable guy who sang atrociously and became something of a celebrity back in the day. When he got married in 1969 on the Johnny Carson show it was one of the most watched shows on TV up to that time. I remember many years ago before he died seeing him very early am at Chicago's O'Hare airport. Long stringy hair. Had a big shopping bag full of stuff that he was carrying around.
Bringing this thread up to date because I was listening to community radio in my area.

And what were they playing? "Tip Toe Through The Tulips!" Aaack! Anyhoo, msging has it right here. His career was schtick, bad schtick at that, but you have to remember the times. There were a lot of phrases that I remember in the late 1960's (in this case- 1968) but to be polite, the popular saying of that era "Do your own thing" I believe would fit Tiny Tim like a glove. And IIRC, Rowan and Martin's TV show "Laugh In" is where he REALLY got discovered!

And Warner Bros. Records got a lot of mileage for it, though it didn't sell the lp's they thought it would. After three lp's on the WB/Reprise label with those lp's hitting the cutout bin in short order, I believe WB figured "Oh well, was good for laughs anyway." Then there was the wedding with Tim and Miss Vicky which was televised on the Johnny Carson Show. And believe it or not the two of them cut a 45 on that label. Later, he released other 45's on a variety of smaller labels and released one lp, can't think of that label right now (heh, just as well!)

Old 10-25-2013, 08:37 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,265,631 times
My first time hearing Tiny Tim was in the movie Insidious.

Tiny Tim - Tip Toe, Through The Tulips (Insidious Version) - YouTube

This song still creeps me out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music