Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 10:37 AM

622 posts, read 2,708,782 times

Advertisements

GWAR!!!!! Gwar kicks ass!!!!!!!!! I am seeing them in 8 days!!!! they come to Harpo's in Detorit every year for Halloween!!!!!!

OK... besides Gwar, I just saw Tool a few weeks ago and man that was great. They really put on a show. So artistic, too- the entire stage was draped in white and they projected video onto it. The video was of abstract images and colors- at one point, the stage appeared to be made of lava. It started out slowly... and just like Tool's music, built to a climax of colors and crazy things like lasers. I love that band. And Maynard was so sexy in his cowboy hat. What a beautiful voice.

OK... so besides Gwar and Tool: Bela Fleck and the Flecktones with Keller Williams and The Yonder Mountain String Boys. I love jazz, blues and bluegrass. It was an intimate outside concert, everyone got up and danced. Bela Fleck and the Flecktones... legendary band and great musicians! Keller Williams is a genius- he is a one man band, plays an instrument, records it in a loop machine, plays it back, and repeates this until it sounds like there is a huge band on stage but its only him. Then, TYMSB were a group of young musicians playing authentic bluegrass music... man their fingers went so fast... it was crazy! So much fun!

*tear* I wish I would have seen the Doors! One of the best bands of all time. Cil, you have great taste in music.

Last edited by mariatherese; 10-20-2006 at 10:38 AM.. Reason: sic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2006, 10:57 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,665,225 times
Favorite Concerts, Motely Crue in 1986!!! Best ever, met them had an awesome time!!! I was only 16 went because they were my 2nd favorite band and to see Vince, but lost all respect for him because of what he said to me.
Ac/DC 1985 and 1995 both awesome
Duran Duran in 1986 dont laugh alot of energy

First concert the Cult in 1984

Last edited by Nea1; 10-20-2006 at 11:11 AM..

Old 10-20-2006, 11:06 AM

1,104 posts, read 3,333,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adream View Post
Did you sing every single word to "Piano Man?" That was great - he stopped singing that song for a few seconds while the ENTIRE audience sang it!
Yes!! He had so much energy and his songs are so great. You saw him after the release of Allentown. Bet that was awesome!

Old 10-20-2006, 11:14 AM

2,098 posts, read 6,327,578 times
Billy Joel is still one I have yet to see....him and Bruce Springsteen...definitely need to see those two (not together necessarily)

Old 10-20-2006, 11:23 AM

1,118 posts, read 4,756,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grammy164 View Post
Yes!! He had so much energy and his songs are so great. You saw him after the release of Allentown. Bet that was awesome!
"Allentown" was originally on his 1982 album "The Nylon Curtain." Maybe you are referring to his 2000 C.D. "2000 Years: The Millennium Concert?" "Allentown" was on that as well.

The concert we went to was somewhere around '99 or 2000, so that could be it. Anymore when it's more than five years ago, it all runs together! All I know is that he is incredible, what a talent.

We just saw Elton John in concert in Atlantic City a couple of weeks ago. Last time I saw him in concert was in 1975!! He is BETTER than ever. He can't hit those high notes anymore but he sang many songs with a bluesy edge & his piano playing is extraordinary.

Old 10-20-2006, 11:35 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariatherese View Post
Bela Fleck and the Flecktones... legendary band and great musicians!

*tear* I wish I would have seen the Doors! One of the best bands of all time. Cil, you have great taste in music.
Thanks Mariatherese. I saw Bela Fleck and the Flecktones at a beautiful outdoor venue some years ago. Does Future Man still play with those guys?
I missed seeing the Yonder Mountain String Band, was too busy getting ready to move.
Next weekend we are going to New Orleans for the Voodoo Music Experience to see the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Flaming Lips, Broken Social Scene and a bunch of other bands.

Old 10-20-2006, 11:46 AM

622 posts, read 2,708,782 times
OMG I LOVE THE FLAMING FIPS SO MUCH!!! Take me with you! I've never seen them live! *tear*

Yes- Future Man still plays with them!

Old 10-20-2006, 12:10 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,333,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adream View Post
"Allentown" was originally on his 1982 album "The Nylon Curtain."
I know. No-I'm just referring to the song. He hadn't released it yet when I saw him and I just though he couldn't play Philly without including it. I always imagined it would bring the house down there. I was living in PA when he released it and my area knew what he was singing about. I knew people who had lost their jobs in Allentown.

Old 10-20-2006, 02:24 PM

8,938 posts, read 20,360,557 times
Years ago (mid 70's), Pueblo Crus, Beach Boys, ? in the parking lot by the Queen Mary in Long Beach, CA.....free concert.
Late 70's, Chicago in Los Angeles (another free concert)
Paul Revere & The Raider (orginals: Paul Revere, Mark Lindsey, Keith Allison) at the old Good Time Theater at Knotts in Buena Park, CA.
Concert Day @ The Big "A" (Anahiem Statium) was Ted Nugent, Forigner, REO Speedwagon. Catch Scratch Fever was GREAT!!!
But, what I still think was the best........see Chris Le Doux in concert. The first time I seen him and his Western Underground Band was at a Country Fair. He had two Shows, 7 & 9PM. Stood in line for two hours, went to his concert and went back outside and stood in line again to see him again at 9 PM. Have seen him three times since, before he died. Man, what a Show that singer, ex-rodeo champion and cowboy could put on. Simply great!!!!

Old 10-20-2006, 02:30 PM

892 posts, read 2,371,400 times
My favorites were Metallica (early years of course) they put on an awesome show everytime. Best ones were probably at the Great Western Forum (LA) it is all indoor and when they hit the lights you could see all the (pot)smoke in the air. and of course the lighters are best indoor. I really miss seeing them. Last time I went was when Load came out, which I hated, they only played 3 songs from load but during those 3 songs was the first time I ever sat down at a concert. no, actually I did sit and then leave during a Poison concert (it sucked, tickets were free) They (Metallica) need to get back on drugs and learn how to rock again and not be crybabies (Lars).
Best moshpits/fires was an KROQ all day punk concert a couple years ago. There was at least 15 pits going on all night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music