Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 01:59 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,671,155 times

Advertisements

I was born in the early 70's, so I don't ever remember a time without the Beatles being around. My dad would wake us up out of bed on the weekends by blasting Sgt. Peppers on the LP, it worked too. Their music was a fixture in our house like the food we ate and the water we drank. A soundtrack to our lives you might say. So, it's amazing to think of a time when that didn't exist. It's something akin to thinking of what was around before the big bang. Usually things that have so much hype to them are bound to be a let down in the end. But the Beatles are one of those rare phenomenons that actually are worthy of all the hub bub. I know people that were around then that still know where they were when they heard the first Beatles song or saw them on the Ed Sullivan show for the first time. There aren't many events in ones life that you can recall such details. I can see why the Beatles would be one of them though.

http://takingnote.blogs.nytimes.com/...f=opinion&_r=0

If you get a chance, the comments are quite interesting too.

Last edited by biggunsmallbrains; 02-05-2014 at 02:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 02:04 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,671,155 times
"Seventy-three million people were reported to have watched the first show. It is still supposed to be one of the largest viewing audiences ever in the States.

It was very important. We came out of nowhere with funny hair, looking like marionettes or something. That was very influential. I think that was really one of the big things that broke us - the hairdo more than the music, originally. A lot of people's fathers had wanted to turn us off. They told their kids, 'Don't be fooled, they're wearing wigs.'

A lot of fathers did turn it off, but a lot of mothers and children made them keep it on. All these kids are now grown-up, and telling us they remember it. It's like, 'Where were you when Kennedy was shot?' I get people like Dan Aykroyd saying, 'Oh man, I remember that Sunday night; we didn't know what had hit us - just sitting there watching Ed Sullivan's show.' Up until then there were jugglers and comedians like Jerry Lewis, and then, suddenly, The Beatles!"

Paul McCartney
Anthology

Old 02-06-2014, 11:22 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,693,063 times
It's going to be fun to watch The Beatles on Sunday night. 50 years, to the day, they appeared on the The Ed Sullivan Show. I was 12 years old and didn't have much say in the house about what we listened to. I loved their music from the beginning. Even as a young kid, I knew they would be around for a long time and that their music was going to change everything. Up til then, Elvis dominated the stereo at home.

The first 45 I bought (for 25 cents) was I Want To Hold Your Hand with the flip side of I Saw Her Standing There. ♫♫♪♫ Not a bad 25 cent investment. I still have that 45 today and many more, along with a few of their albums.

As an old fogey now, I still listen to their music.

Reliving a little bit of history this coming Sunday. 50 years sure does fly by when you aren't looking.

Just sorry that John and George won't be there to see it, too.

Old 02-06-2014, 11:34 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,299,621 times
I, too, was 12 when Beatlemania hit. It was a new direction from the Beach Boy era (which I liked then and still do). My first 45 was actually a Beach Boys, but the first Beatles 45 I bought was "Twist & Shout". I still have the records, by the way (and still own a turn-table).

Paul was my favorite Beatle, then John. I collected a fat stack of Beatles card ~ same thing as baseball cards. Wish I had kept them.

Musicians die and leave their legacies, but Lennon is among the ones I miss the most. Such a senseless way to leave the world ~ he had a new beginning, and I consider him one of the greatest songwriters of all time.

I intend to watch The Beatles on Sunday night.

I am SO glad to have been born when I was. I remember the mid-to-late 50's music, and loved the 60's stuff from start to finish. Best damn decade!!

Old 02-06-2014, 11:38 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,693,063 times
Quote:
I am SO glad to have been born when I was. I remember the mid-to-late 50's music, and loved the 60's stuff from start to finish. Best damn decade!!
Me, too!

Great post

Old 02-07-2014, 10:50 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,870,986 times
I liked the Rutles, the Prefab Five. Destined to live a lunchtime.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:24 PM

4,449 posts, read 4,617,606 times
You know I have to say the Beatles sure looked 'different' to us when they got themselves on tee-vee 'all those years ago'. Nothing seen like it 'round these parts. They were supposed to last a few days, eh????...;-)...Have to laugh at Lennon's comment about coming here..'And when we got here you were all walkin' around in (can't write it!!!) bermuda shorts with Boston crew cuts and stuff on your teeth'. We probably looked as strange to them as they to us and coming from a place they called 'Liverpool'.

Old 02-09-2014, 12:10 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times

The Beatles - Ed Sullivan Show (1965) (All 3 shows) - YouTube

Old 02-09-2014, 12:22 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,654,429 times
I was a little kid, under 10, and remember watching them on our next door neighbor's TV, not sure it was the first time they played, but perhaps after that. It's weird how something like that stays in your heads years later.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:09 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,240,810 times
I think it's safe to say their prolific virtuosity will never be equaled. Which networks are doing a retrospective/tribute?

The Beatles 50 years later: How CBS is remembering the Fab Four - CBS News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music