Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2007, 02:02 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,775,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Paul Weller's "The Jam"....possibly the greatest band outside of Slade
to never make a dent in the US charts.....a bloody shame...
Well...they made a bit more than a dent over here. They were and remain one of my favorites. A good deal of my friends liked them and owned their records. And they had several 45s (remember those?) on the jukebox at my college pub. I also recall them appearing on MTV when MTV actually showed videos.

I wish the three of them would ge back together. I'd take them over that Led Zep tripe any day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 02:28 PM

226 posts, read 1,169,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINCOLNSHIRE View Post
RE Non US/UK nuggets....Google `Thai Beat A Go-Go`

RE Ronnie,,,Rough Mix..I`ve got the vinyl and it can be found in places as a download but I`ve never seen a cd issue,,Hope I can follow that with Yet. Some other great collaborations he did..Mahoneys Last Stand [Ronnie Wood] and my fav Majik Mijits with Steve Marriott...`See Me` has always been thought as a solo project, but Clapton had more than a little input,,,

Stop press!!! just found a cd issue of Rough Mix,,,
Thanks for the link....BTW, my favorite songs on RM would be T's Street in the City, and T & Lane's "Heart to hang onto", which almost sounds like it should have been at the end of Beggars Banquet, as Lane sounds like a dead ringer for Keith Richards' "Salt of the Earth" vocal, and covers the same turf
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Lets drink to the hard working people
Lets drink to the lowly of birth
Raise your glass to the good and the evil
Lets drink to the salt of the earth

Say a prayer for the common foot soldier
Spare a thought for his back breaking work
Say a prayer for his wife and his children
Who burn the fires and who still till the earth
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Johnny boy, he's always propping up the bar
He's sees life crystallized through his jar
He says he only lives for beer
But deep in his heart is a cry of fear

Give me a heart to hang onto
Give me a soul that's tailored new
Give me a heart to hang onto
A heart to hang onto
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by christina0001; 12-13-2007 at 08:58 PM.. Reason: removed copyrighted image

Old 12-13-2007, 04:36 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,148,175 times
Quote:
Yeah all those and I`d hazard a guess something like 90% of the bands that find their way into discussions on these threads.. Beatles,,Stones,,Zep,,Floyd,,Fav 80s New wave,,,Need I go on??
Those were all a long time ago, and I think the Beatles and Pink Floyd in particular are very overrated.

Old 12-13-2007, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
Geez. So angry.

As for Blur, that's great that they were popular amongst your friends in college, but that's not representative of the rest of the U.S. The fact remains that their albums barely sell in the U.S., having only one album that barely went Gold, and the title of the thread is referring to bands that "most" Americans have never heard of, not bands that are popular on the underground college front.
I have yet to meet an American in my age group who hasn't at least heard of Blur, i.e. this conversation has never occurred: "Gee, I really like Blur." "Who?"

Old 12-13-2007, 04:46 PM

3,531 posts, read 2,595,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
Those were all a long time ago, and I think the Beatles and Pink Floyd in particular are very overrated.
A valid opinion, but doesn`t contradict my point of how much they are discussed here. Don`t you think? I could go along with much of what you said in your original post, negative as it was. But how about some positive thoughts on present day, up and coming Brit acts. surely there must be something amongst them to tickle ya fancy??

Last edited by LINCOLNSHIRE; 12-13-2007 at 04:50 PM.. Reason: add

Old 12-13-2007, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Anyone think of any great german/dutch/french/Italian/eastern European bands besides Golden Earring, Scorpions, and Kraftwurk? And no, Focus, who made Hocus Pocus, doesn't count! LOL! And no Eurovision song contest winners, please!

http://xobineskipatruska.no.sapo.pt/abba%20ridiculo.jpg

Including these blokes......

Last edited by autumngal; 03-20-2008 at 04:51 PM.. Reason: copyright

Old 12-13-2007, 04:58 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,571,141 times
"Shakin' stevens....over 7,000,000 singles sold in the UK....and not a soul
in the states knows who he is..."

The rockabilly revival movement started in the UK in the late 70s. The only group that made it in both the UK and the US were the Stray Cats who made it big first in the UK.

Old 12-13-2007, 05:40 PM

Quote:
A valid opinion, but doesn`t contradict my point of how much they are discussed here. Don`t you think? I could go along with much of what you said in your original post, negative as it was. But how about some positive thoughts on present day, up and coming Brit acts. surely there must be something amongst them to tickle ya fancy??
Eh....I don't listen to a lot of new popular music these days from either side of the pond because most of it to me is tuneless and all sounds alike. I do enjoy Amy Winehouse and Lily Allen, though; I find their lyrics funny and the songs are catchy. And since I was in the UK 2001-2007, I caught Amy Winehouse's first album as soon as it came out.

I listen to a lot of hard bop jazz and classical music, plus popular music from the 60s-90s. And I love the Dixie Chicks.

Old 12-13-2007, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
"Shakin' stevens....over 7,000,000 singles sold in the UK....and not a soul
in the states knows who he is..."

The rockabilly revival movement started in the UK in the late 70s. The only group that made it in both the UK and the US were the Stray Cats who made it big first in the UK.
Didn't know Shakin was an inspiration for Brian Setzer....interesting......I think it amazing that he can sell 7 million disks in the UK and not chart at all in the US.......

even the wiki entry is paltry on him.....I guess now he is pretty much forgotten.....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shakin_Stevens

I just listened to him for the first time....sounds like Marc Bolan from T.Rex big time vocally

I stand corrected..he has a hit in the UK top 40 as we speak in dec. '07.....

Old 12-13-2007, 11:56 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,393,679 times
Quote:
I have yet to meet an American in my age group who hasn't at least heard of Blur, i.e. this conversation has never occurred: "Gee, I really like Blur." "Who?"
How often does the topic of Blur come up in casual conversation? I'll ask a group of thirtysomething co-workers tomorrow and see the results. Regardless though, their sales figures tell the story, and one gold album out of seven is not mainstream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music