Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 11:22 AM

7,529 posts, read 11,363,895 times

Advertisements

I've heard of how people and even some famous musicians had never learned to read music but they instead learned to play their instruments by ear. My question is how exactly do people learn to do this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 11:25 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,234,745 times
I think you're born with that talent.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:34 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,092,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
I've heard of how people and even some famous musicians had never learned to read music but they instead learned to play their instruments by ear. My question is how exactly do people learn to do this?
You listen to the music over and over until you hear it in your head ans then translate it to an instrument.

Can you hum Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star and play it on the piano tonight? I'm sure you can. Everybody can play by ear.

When you do it often enough, you become so good that you can hear major/minor chords and scales and intervals and can basically play back whole songs without knowing them.

Old 02-12-2014, 01:18 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,027,347 times
If you play or sing enough songs (for me it's on a piano), you gain a sense of how most melodies just follow the scale ("when you know the notes to sing, you can sing most anything", ya know), and once you've figured out what the "home note" is, you can pick out the rest of the melody somewhere in the scale.

When I was in high school I bought a lot of rock/popular sheet music, and learned it on the piano. I'm NOT a good player, and can't coordinate my two hands very well, but I really enjoyed it anyway. I think that gave me more music sense than I would have otherwise. Many of those songbooks also have chords at the top, so I learned how chord progressions work that way.

So yeah, I still have a keyboard, and still pick out melodies and (if they're simple) chords from songs that get in my head.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:26 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,025,248 times
I can just hear the song note by note and figure it out in my head. I guess it is easier since I have perfect pitch. It is easier for me to play by ear than to read music.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:01 PM

7,121 posts, read 5,230,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
You listen to the music over and over until you hear it in your head ans then translate it to an instrument.

Can you hum Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star and play it on the piano tonight? I'm sure you can. Everybody can play by ear.

When you do it often enough, you become so good that you can hear major/minor chords and scales and intervals and can basically play back whole songs without knowing them.

I agree completely! That's how I explain it to people when they ask if they would be able to play the bowed psaltery. I give them the above "pep talk".

When I was a child, I started playing by ear when my parents bought one of those Magnus chord organs from G.C. Murphy's. So, maybe there is a "born with it" to this talent. That's how I learned the electric organ and the Irish pennywhistle, ending up with my beloved bowed psaltery. I also played a friend's hammered dulcimer and Celtic harp on first try. So, if you can play by ear, as others have said, you likely can go from instrument to instrument though lessons are a great help for chord progressions and other "stuff".

You can always rely on having sheet music in front of you, but it's nice to not need it.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:29 PM

7,529 posts, read 11,363,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post

I often whistle songs like that. So I guess playing by ear is similar to that once you play around with an instrument long enough.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:33 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
They don't learn it, it comes naturally. You've either got that gift, or you don't.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:39 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
I think it's different for different people.

I never learned how to read music, but I can play the piano. The way I learned was partly with written music for a few days. My girlfriend showed me the location of the first note on the piano. I plugged away counting up and down the music sheet for a few days. Something clicked in my brain. My mind memorized the sounds of each keys. I can hear music in my mind (always could), and my fingers automatically go to the right keys. It's sort of how you type on a computer keyboard without thinking of each letter.

Some people just have an ear for music. They can pick up an instrument they've never played and the sounds that come out of it are pleasant. For other people it sounds like nails on a chalkboard. My son has this talent. The most memorable was the violin. I regularly heard a girl the same age as him practice violin. She had an expensive teacher. OMG the sounds she made with the violin were dreadful. My son picked up a violin and everything sounded beautiful the very first time. He did learn how to read music eventually, but he also can play without music via replicating existing songs he has heard or creating his own songs.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:57 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,092,842 times
Quote:
I often whistle songs like that. So I guess playing by ear is similar to that once you play around with an instrument long enough.
If you are whistling, then you are playing music by ear. It's all the same thing. There's just different levels of it.

Some people are sorta born with it but mostly not. The vast majority no.

The main way most musicians learn to play by ear is by listening to countless records non stop while sitting there with your instrument and rewinding and pausing little parts of the songs and solos until you can play it as close as possible to the recording. If you get serious about it, you notate it out. It's called transcribing.

Any good musician has spent a thousand hours doing this. Really good musicians way more. At least good rock and jazz musicians. But most good classical musicians have done a lot too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music