Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 06:31 PM

98 posts, read 93,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthfrodo View Post
And now you get all judgmental on Taylor Swift. I'm getting some vibes. Enjoy your music dude.
Yeah but the difference is that I've heard some of Taylor's music so I can pass that judgement. I get the feeling not a lot of people on hear have actually heard a Kanye song. As for Michael, the fact that there were even accusations is appalling. Why was he always around the kid from Home Alone? This is a guy with a ferris wheel at his house on a property called " Neverland". He's a windowless van away from being a full blown kiddie lover.

Old 03-10-2014, 06:43 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,211,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanmitchell View Post
How old are you? I have a prediction based off of your comments. mid 50s? mid 60s? you gotta up there in age if you think miley and gaga came from MTV. Anyone in these ages will automatically have their opinions on rap discredited.
Yep I am up there in age, and I play drums and bass guitar so yeah I'm well aware of what true musical talent is and it's NOT those misfits. I've been performing live since my high school days on stage and off before many of them could hold a mic. If you re read, I did NOT say the baby and tongue girl came from MTV, which probably wouldn't have them. WE disregard rap primarily because it consists of rhyming, crotch grabbing, autotune and a mixing board. Very little composing or performing involved in a real studio, unless you consider hand gestures,sound effects and prison speak. Rap discredits itself as a respected genre without our help!

Old 03-10-2014, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
Yep I am up there in age, and I play drums and bass guitar so yeah I'm well aware of what true musical talent is and it's NOT those misfits. I've been performing live since my high school days on stage and off before many of them could hold a mic. If you re read, I did NOT say the baby and tongue girl came from MTV, which probably wouldn't have them. WE disregard rap primarily because it consists of rhyming, crotch grabbing, autotune and a mixing board. Very little composing or performing involved in a real studio, unless you consider hand gestures,sound effects and prison speak. Rap discredits itself as a respected genre without our help!
uh huh? So with no respect to the genre being discussed here, what are you doing on this thread? Your list of things rap involves is somewhat outdated, no one grabs their crotch anymore and mixing boards are becoming scarce. Prison speak? Wow, nothing racially charged there. Did the Civil War's result anger you? I bet you were really upset when Lincoln freed the slaves. I don't really have time to talk with an ignorant person such as yourself, so if you could leave the thread I, and the rest of those here with a 21st century state of mind would appreciate it.

Last edited by stanmitchell; 03-10-2014 at 08:04 PM..

Old 03-10-2014, 07:23 PM

278 posts, read 277,197 times
I stopped listening to Rap mid-way through college. The combination of my studies + work made it difficult to relate with what they were saying. It was all fun and games when I was a middle class white kid in the suburbs trying to "rebel" but then just became pathetic.

I also got my friends to drop it, at-least socially because it's negative music. The message is simple: I have been harmed in these ways and i will do anything I want to anyone I want. It breeds mistrust and back stabbing.

At this point of my life (30 years old) I just find Rap to be boring. Why would I dedicate my free time to hearing some guy b^tch and complain?

Old 03-10-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveYOU2 View Post
I stopped listening to Rap mid-way through college. The combination of my studies + work made it difficult to relate with what they were saying. It was all fun and games when I was a middle class white kid in the suburbs trying to "rebel" but then just became pathetic.

I also got my friends to drop it, at-least socially because it's negative music. The message is simple: I have been harmed in these ways and i will do anything I want to anyone I want. It breeds mistrust and back stabbing.

At this point of my life (30 years old) I just find Rap to be boring. Why would I dedicate my free time to hearing some guy b^tch and complain?
I respect your opinion, in a decade I'll be in your shoes.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:29 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,202,897 times
Quote:

While I understand your viewpoint, if this is all you think rap is than you missed the boat.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
While I understand your viewpoint, if this is all you think rap is than you missed the boat.
I agree, there are plenty of non- whiney rappers. Common, Lupe, ( Even though I'm not a fan) Macklemore, Kendrick, Tupac.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:35 PM

278 posts, read 277,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanmitchell View Post
I respect your opinion, in a decade I'll be in your shoes.
Hahah. You'll still listen to it when you're driving home from work like in Office Space, to let off steam and get in that "I'm an [office] thug" attitude. When you grow up in California (and most of USA) the Hip Hop culture is always around. I see my former classmates now with children and they still reference hip hop lingo.

But I definitely would not seriously date a girl that listens regularly to Rap. I'm from middle class suburbs so doesn't represent ALL of USA. But I find the guys that still listen to Rap regularly in their 30's are either black or usually not going anywhere with their lives. Still bangin at the same clubs

Old 03-10-2014, 07:37 PM

n/a posts
I think his wordplay is extremely clever and I don't know him as a person...so I won't judge him in that way.

I also think his public persona is just that...a public persona. It's a vehicle to get people to listen to his music, so he can get paid.

Chasing money (and getting it) is one possible use of your time, yes.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:41 PM

Quote:
I see my former classmates now with children and they still reference hip hop lingo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWbXQQG9B6c good memories for you I imagine.

That'll probably be me haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.