Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 12:44 PM

4,449 posts, read 4,614,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Since emo, there is no new trends in rock other than indie. It's stagnant and there is not much uniting the warring tribes like NWoBHM and later Thrash did in the 80's. It's just not there.
That's interesting. I'm sure those wo love music fear this state of affairs then. Is it say the 'biz' climate???? That it just crushes creativity?

Just a point of music history. Looking at the period of the 60's, there was great creativity in the biz and perhaps what we're seeing today is the result of it. Back then there were no 'sub-genres' as such but you could 'hear' their development by the various bands that crawled every which way of the woodwork with their guitars and drums and harmonicas and organs and etc etc. Some emphasized melody, others fuzz or reverb in the guitars for example and other just howled out loud man. And there was plenty of money around in those days to feed that fire if you could 'get an electric guitar and learn how to play!' And further the 'agent man' won't let you down!..;-).......I'd think that's what we want is something like those 'olden' days where creativity was king but it was a different time then for music-making. As Mr. Harrison would say it's..'All those years ago'. Everything's changed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 01:42 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
That's interesting. I'm sure those wo love music fear this state of affairs then. Is it say the 'biz' climate???? That it just crushes creativity?

Just a point of music history. Looking at the period of the 60's, there was great creativity in the biz and perhaps what we're seeing today is the result of it. Back then there were no 'sub-genres' as such but you could 'hear' their development by the various bands that crawled every which way of the woodwork with their guitars and drums and harmonicas and organs and etc etc. Some emphasized melody, others fuzz or reverb in the guitars for example and other just howled out loud man. And there was plenty of money around in those days to feed that fire if you could 'get an electric guitar and learn how to play!' And further the 'agent man' won't let you down!..;-).......I'd think that's what we want is something like those 'olden' days where creativity was king but it was a different time then for music-making. As Mr. Harrison would say it's..'All those years ago'. Everything's changed!
Well look at how corporate rock was in the 1970's and 80's. You listen to say Chicago, their 70's is almost progressive jazz rock and by the 1980's they were adult contemporary with Hard Habit to Break and Har to Say I'm Sorry. I am not sure if it was Chicago evolving or if it was A&R reigning them in. I know for Whitesnake it was an A&R with Here I Go Again 87. The original one was more a hard rock/blues version like their material before Tawny Kitane danced on David Coverdale's car.

There divides within genres so maybe thing aren't too different (other than rock not charting like it use to on the pop charts.) There are melodies in rock music today. Listen to say As I Lay Dying vs. Cannibal Corpse (both death metal bands), Howard Jones era Killswitch Engage vs. Hatebreed (both metalcore bands) and Rise Against vs. Suicidal Tendencies (both hardcore bands.) There are divisions in those sounds and personally I enjoy the melodic style (some call it Swede-core based on the fact it started with Gotenburgh bands like In Flames.) Then of course there is emo which seems to be a whippin boy by many people (I remember hearing flack about it as a junior in high school in fall 2003 before it became super-mainstream.)

There's also amazing musicianship with the symphonic metal (and the various fusions such as Power, Gothic, Black) that goes unnoticed. Tarja (formerly of Nightwish) is AMAZING vocally but unheard of in America except for the song Nemo from Nightwish's Once.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:05 PM

7 posts, read 7,870 times
people posting Nickleback and Creed in here is proof that this thread sucks

Old 03-27-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Microtech Machine View Post
People often think I hate on everything and everybody different. That's not so. "The Gift" can pick "it" out anywhere, anytime....

You have "the ear".
My ear tells me most rock is good. It's only garbage like Jonas Brothers or John Mayer that makes it puke. Play me anything from mathcore to melodic metal core to pop punk to death metal classic rock to hair metal to symphonic metal to heartland rock (like Springstein and Mellencamp) to indie rock to nu-metal to emo and I will enjoy it. I admit, I am not most rock fans and can put aside genre dislike.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:14 PM

4,449 posts, read 4,614,742 times
I'll just note something in my music experience that could be here nor there but it woke me up!...

Country and rock as we know were separate but eventually came together in that genre termed 'country-rock'. Ok fine and good. But I noticed that my favorite band just wasn't getting time on the radio. They knew it too and the reason was, as they discovered, that they were not of a particular country-rock flavor for radio's playlists even though they had many 'hits'. I believe the 'Nashville' sound ruled the roost. So that was it. Extinction then for the band. It was then that I saw how the 'biz' killed off those who were making music. Not sure exactly how it is these days since there are many outlets now where bands can be heard but I've always been sensitive to those guys that count the moolah in the backroom in the music biz!.... ;-)...I like to rock but they really 'rolled' me when it came to music I enjoyed listening to!

Old 03-27-2014, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
I'll just note something in my music experience that could be here nor there but it woke me up!...

Country and rock as we know were separate but eventually came together in that genre termed 'country-rock'. Ok fine and good. But I noticed that my favorite band just wasn't getting time on the radio. They knew it too and the reason was, as they discovered, that they were not of a particular country-rock flavor for radio's playlists even though they had many 'hits'. I believe the 'Nashville' sound ruled the roost. So that was it. Extinction then for the band. It was then that I saw how the 'biz' killed off those who were making music. Not sure exactly how it is these days since there are many outlets now where bands can be heard but I've always been sensitive to those guys that count the moolah in the backroom in the music biz!.... ;-)...I like to rock but they really 'rolled' me when it came to music I enjoyed listening to!
Nashville is fickle. I remember similar stories with Shania's first album before she had a hit with "Any Man of Mine" and even still, she got bigger more through her pop rock/adult contemporary stuff than she ever did as a pure country artist.

Old 03-27-2014, 05:10 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
The problem you have with bands like Creed and Nickelback is while you may have some talented musicians in the band their lyrical content is ****.
This is partly the issue for me.

As mkpunk suggested, I listened to those Nickleback songs posted. Just did nothing for me.... the lyrics aren't strong and I'm just not feeling what they're doing. Creed, marginally better but again not feeling it.

Old 03-27-2014, 05:56 PM

^ that's a bit better - it also depends on my mood.

Lyrics aren't always the be all and end all. Pub Rock is pretty big here, {think Jet}. They aren't earth moving lyrics but are fine to just listen to... there is still some sort of vibe I can identify with, where some other bands just have no affect on me....which is fine... we can't all like the same stuff!

Old 04-03-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
This is partly the issue for me.

As mkpunk suggested, I listened to those Nickleback songs posted. Just did nothing for me.... the lyrics aren't strong and I'm just not feeling what they're doing. Creed, marginally better but again not feeling it.
That's fine. At least you tried. I use to be one of those people that heard it was X and hated it (unless I heard it and was say Rod Stewart who I hate.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
^ that's a bit better - it also depends on my mood.

Lyrics aren't always the be all and end all. Pub Rock is pretty big here, {think Jet}. They aren't earth moving lyrics but are fine to just listen to... there is still some sort of vibe I can identify with, where some other bands just have no affect on me....which is fine... we can't all like the same stuff!
No we cannot like everything. If I said I like all of Aerosmith's, Bon Jovi' and Motley Crue's stuff, I would be lying to you. I can all mention songs that suck of their's like most of Motley Crue's Theater of Pain sucks to me baring Smoking in the Boys' Room, Home Sweet Home and Use It Or Lose It.

I think there you are onto something with music one can identify with. The problem for me is I identify with a lot of different stuff.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
That's fine. At least you tried. I use to be one of those people that heard it was X and hated it (unless I heard it and was say Rod Stewart who I hate.)

No we cannot like everything. If I said I like all of Aerosmith's, Bon Jovi' and Motley Crue's stuff, I would be lying to you. I can all mention songs that suck of their's like most of Motley Crue's Theater of Pain sucks to me baring Smoking in the Boys' Room, Home Sweet Home and Use It Or Lose It.

I think there you are onto something with music one can identify with. The problem for me is I identify with a lot of different stuff.
That's okay,so do I.
I move from rock to blues to electronic pretty easily and often when listening to music. I do like a mix, but its got to have a feeling - and that changes between people...its all good stuff, it just doesn't hit the same nerves within people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music