Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 07:22 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,614,403 times

Advertisements

I read Helter Skelter years ago,,what/who do you know ? Is there a book out about it besides that one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 09:50 AM

550 posts, read 1,234,683 times
There are several books and movies about it, but I don't believe much of the story we've been told. I researched it from a music point of view. Manson wanted to be a rock star, not a political prisoner. Manson was hanging out, writing and recording with famous people at the time. Dennis Wilson, Brian Wilson, Neil Young, The Byrds, Mama's and the Papas, Jim Morrison, some of the Eagles, Frank Zappa, Love. Bobby can be heard singing backup on Zappa's song "Freak Out." I believe Manson met the Beatles. I believe some of the girls slept with Paul, John and Ringo. Manson provided drugs and girls for others to party with. Terry Melcher was a major producer. The Beatles stayed at Melchers house. Manson was recording music at the time for Melcher. Sharon Tate and her hubby had leased the house she was murdered in from Terry Melcher. Maybe I'll start a thread about him. You can google Manson's name and find links. You can search his name on amazon.com for books and movies. You tube has many interviews and parole hearings.

Old 01-03-2008, 01:05 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,614,403 times
Thanks. I will check it out.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:00 PM

The best book to read, if you can find one, is; Manson: In His Own Words.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:55 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,268,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidcanaduh View Post
His band LOVE was originally called The Grass Roots.

LOVE was set to be the next biggest band to break. Jim Morrison of the Doors was LOVE's biggest fan.
Maria McKee is Bryan MacLean's (guitarist of Love) baby sister.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Maria McKee is Bryan MacLean's (guitarist of Love) baby sister.
Thanks for the tip. I didn't know who she was by the name so I googled.

She is the half sister half-sister of Bryan, according to Wikipedia.

Maria McKee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-04-2008, 10:44 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
I grew up in the St. louis area in the '70's, KSHE95 was the **** back then!(hence my screen name!)
Some of the music they played can be found on this list, www.rockclassics.tripod.com (broken link) check it out! stuff everyone has heard of, and also stuff that no one out of the STL area has ever heard, pretty cool.

Last edited by kshe95girl; 01-04-2008 at 10:45 PM.. Reason: misspell

Old 01-06-2008, 09:28 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,484,450 times
Default Great trivia!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidcanaduh View Post
There are several books and movies about it, but I don't believe much of the story we've been told. I researched it from a music point of view. Manson wanted to be a rock star, not a political prisoner. Manson was hanging out, writing and recording with famous people at the time. Dennis Wilson, Brian Wilson, Neil Young, The Byrds, Mama's and the Papas, Jim Morrison, some of the Eagles, Frank Zappa, Love. Bobby can be heard singing backup on Zappa's song "Freak Out." I believe Manson met the Beatles. I believe some of the girls slept with Paul, John and Ringo. Manson provided drugs and girls for others to party with. Terry Melcher was a major producer. The Beatles stayed at Melchers house. Manson was recording music at the time for Melcher. Sharon Tate and her hubby had leased the house she was murdered in from Terry Melcher. Maybe I'll start a thread about him. You can google Manson's name and find links. You can search his name on amazon.com for books and movies. You tube has many interviews and parole hearings.
And Terry Melcher is Doris Day's son!

Old 01-07-2008, 07:30 AM

751 posts, read 1,178,536 times
Firefall is another band that is quite underrated. I know their members had problems with alcohol and drugs that eventually led to a breakup but they have some pretty good songs. At one time, they toured with Fleetwood Mac and enjoyed commercial success. "Strange Way" is my favorite Firefall single and a very beautiful song. There are many other good ones.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:33 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Little Feat-They still rock!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music