Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 01:17 PM

105 posts, read 84,452 times

Advertisements

It seems that most of the women that I've known, in my family, at various jobs, school, relationships seem to only get into whatever is popular on the top 40. Like Rihanna is hot now so they might like Rihanna or Beyonce or whomever. For me and for lots of my friends, we would REALLY get into a band or artist that likely was from the 70s or 80s and really get into the music at a deep level, where we can still listen to it and enjoy it years and years later. For some of us, it inspired us to learn an instrument like guitar, drums or keyboard. The music really affected us at a deep level. I really don't see many women who are into music like that. I know that some are. I've seen some amazing female musicians on YouTube who have some great influences and great talent. It's just that the majority of women seem to go for the superficial, disposable pop/dance music and I wonder why. It's kind of a shame. Maybe I live in a bubble and I am way off base, it's just been my personal experience in my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 01:21 PM

579 posts, read 761,916 times
The more materialistic, the more prone to fall victim to popular music. Considering many women are addicted to fashion, celebrities & pop culture. I think you state truth

Old 04-15-2014, 01:35 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,032,900 times
I'm a woman and I'm stuck in the 1980's!!!!!!!

Old 04-15-2014, 03:32 PM

4,498 posts, read 6,315,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illwalkthanks View Post
It seems that most of the women that I've known, in my family, at various jobs, school, relationships seem to only get into whatever is popular on the top 40. Like Rihanna is hot now so they might like Rihanna or Beyonce or whomever. For me and for lots of my friends, we would REALLY get into a band or artist that likely was from the 70s or 80s and really get into the music at a deep level, where we can still listen to it and enjoy it years and years later. For some of us, it inspired us to learn an instrument like guitar, drums or keyboard. The music really affected us at a deep level. I really don't see many women who are into music like that. I know that some are. I've seen some amazing female musicians on YouTube who have some great influences and great talent. It's just that the majority of women seem to go for the superficial, disposable pop/dance music and I wonder why. It's kind of a shame. Maybe I live in a bubble and I am way off base, it's just been my personal experience in my life.
Women can be just as into music as men and connect with it just as deeply. I think the difference is that many women aren't ashamed to admit they enjoy a fun dance tune or some well crafted pop. Too many people hang their credibility on what they listen to and it's nonsense in my opinion. My teenage daughter has everything from classical music to punk right up to present music on her ipod including everything in between and she got her broad range of taste from me. Music is music is music, you don't have to be depressed or banging your head or even listening to an Aria to get something from the music or to avoid being 'superficial'. It's actually a healthier psyche that can enjoy the whole spectrum including the lighthearted fluff. Feeling happy and having a dance is just as important as having other emotional reactions to music.

In my life it's actually been the women who have appeared to have a deeper connection to music but intellectually I know that my personal experience does not make it true for the whole population. Perception is everything, if you see a women saying she likes a pop song you seem to think that's all she's into while she could be just as into the same bands or artists that you are and be just as deeply affected by them. It's just that in that moment she felt like being a bit silly or having some fun. We are complicated, multifaceted creatures .

Old 04-15-2014, 03:34 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Ummmm .... no.

Next inane topic?

Old 04-15-2014, 07:19 PM

105 posts, read 84,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ice View Post
Women can be just as into music as men and connect with it just as deeply. I think the difference is that many women aren't ashamed to admit they enjoy a fun dance tune or some well crafted pop. Too many people hang their credibility on what they listen to and it's nonsense in my opinion. My teenage daughter has everything from classical music to punk right up to present music on her ipod including everything in between and she got her broad range of taste from me. Music is music is music, you don't have to be depressed or banging your head or even listening to an Aria to get something from the music or to avoid being 'superficial'. It's actually a healthier psyche that can enjoy the whole spectrum including the lighthearted fluff. Feeling happy and having a dance is just as important as having other emotional reactions to music.

In my life it's actually been the women who have appeared to have a deeper connection to music but intellectually I know that my personal experience does not make it true for the whole population. Perception is everything, if you see a women saying she likes a pop song you seem to think that's all she's into while she could be just as into the same bands or artists that you are and be just as deeply affected by them. It's just that in that moment she felt like being a bit silly or having some fun. We are complicated, multifaceted creatures .
I wasn't saying that there weren't exceptions, I'm just saying, this has been my experience.

If you know a guy who is DEEP into say Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd or whoever, you know what I mean. I know lots of guys like that and not just with those bands. I don't know, nor I have I really ever come across any women in my life who have that deep a connection, inspiration and appreciation for a group or artist.

I freely admit, I could be wrong and maybe I live in a bubble. That's just been my impression and I posted to see if it rang true or not.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:03 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,436,015 times
Default Yes

Absolutely! Rock on female rockers!!

Old 04-15-2014, 10:15 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,111,231 times
to answer the OP; Hell yes....

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwalkthanks View Post
I wasn't saying that there weren't exceptions, I'm just saying, this has been my experience.

If you know a guy who is DEEP into say Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd or whoever, you know what I mean. I know lots of guys like that and not just with those bands. I don't know, nor I have I really ever come across any women in my life who have that deep a connection, inspiration and appreciation for a group or artist.

I freely admit, I could be wrong and maybe I live in a bubble. That's just been my impression and I posted to see if it rang true or not.
Well, you are asking on a music forum ~ so you're going to probably get answers from people (women) who are,..... into music, beyond what is played on Top 40 stations.

Yes, there are some of us who are quite into music. I think Lady Ice summed it up well - which is not surprising

Old 05-05-2014, 06:51 PM

206 posts, read 158,402 times
Ugh I dislike Rihanna and Beyoncé. What's the big deal with them? I've always been one to like the music that is NOT popular at the moment lol.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:59 PM

351 posts, read 499,762 times
Oldies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music