Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 08:34 PM

2,663 posts, read 4,819,689 times

Advertisements

*Stevie Wonder - Ma Cherie Amour * - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 08:36 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,306,240 times
Default Yes

It had it's time, but it has been replaced by Rap and Hip-Hop. It's now part of feed, mixed in with all types of outdated music, that plays in the background.

I hear Motown in places one would never expect to hear it, in areas where black people don't even live, like at the Whole Foods Market in Cupertino, CA.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:26 PM

532 posts, read 548,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbuskidd92 View Post
Boys II Men was the face of Motown in the 90's.
LOL That's what you got too...."boyz".

This "rock" band blew them away with all the harmonies and guitar fills.

The Black Crowes- Remedy - YouTube

Old 04-18-2014, 09:36 PM

41,748 posts, read 74,742,297 times
I'm loving all these non-Motown clips in a thread about Motown ...

Old 04-18-2014, 09:36 PM

^ That is if you remember Motown had a more "edgy" side as well.

Rare Earth - Hey Big Brother - YouTube

Rare Earth - (I Know) I'm Losing You (1970) - YouTube

Get Ready - Rare Earth - 1970 - YouTube

Old 04-18-2014, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I'm loving all these non-Motown clips in a thread about Motown ...
My Ma retired from and automotive window/glass manufacturer here. Part of her job was going to Detroit. She/we....the family spent A LOT of time in Detroit when I was growing up. It was at least a monthly commute.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:18 PM

18,161 posts, read 25,702,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
It had it's time, but it has been replaced by Rap and Hip-Hop. It's now part of feed, mixed in with all types of outdated music, that plays in the background.

I hear Motown in places one would never expect to hear it, in areas where black people don't even live, like at the Whole Foods Market in Cupertino, CA.
I hear it at my house-frequently!!

Holland-Dozier-Holland. What a songwriting team.
The Funk Brothers. What a band.

The youtubes on the 70's rock band Rare Earth, a white band associated with Motown? yep. Their early lp's and 45's in the early 1970's were released on Rare Earth Records. It was distributed by Motown. Their very first lp was on the MGM folk label, Verve Forecast. It was a flop, and Motown gave them a shot.

Motown gave another rock guy a shot- Bobby Darin. One was "1936-1973". the other one was self titled. Both are quite good, certainly not the Darin from his days of recording "Splish Splash" or "Dream Lover." They were released around the time of his death in October 1973.

Another couple late 60's rock groups who recorded on the Rare Earth label which Motown distributed- S.F. Sorrow (60's psychedelic) and Love Sculpture (British Blues) a notable guy emerged from the band Love Sculpture and had a very notable career- Dave Edmunds.

My favorite Motown 45? There are a few dozen tied for first.

My favorite Motown album? "The Four Tops Reach Out." Check this out--top 20 weekly list of the rock and soul charts--the singles that came out of this lp:

Reach Out- I'll Be There
Standing in The Shadows Of Love
Bernadette
Seven Rooms Of Gloom
Turn To Stone
Walk Away Renee (great version of the Left Banke's 10/66 hit)
If I Were A Carpenter (originally charted by Bobby Darin, written by folk artist Tim Hardin. Seven songs from one lp that went top 20, four going top 5. Amazing!

From it's earliest beginnings to the late 1960's and all of the 1970's and most of the 1980's, I would be hard pressed to find one week that did not have a Motown group on 45 chart a record.

A storied history. Motown Records.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 04-22-2014 at 08:03 AM.. Reason: correcion

Old 04-18-2014, 11:02 PM

So what is my definition of "Motown" music? At least one singer who can really really sing. Not average, not ordinary...I mean really sing. Most cases it's more than one vocalist doing harmonies. Could be two, could be three or even more. It's trademark Motown to have "soulful" vocals in your songs. My point for posting was many people who remember BTM remember all the finger snapping, instrument-less A Capella vocals and songs void of the richness earlier tunes had with all the "sound". As seen in this thread, it's what younger people associate with being "Motown". To me it's a label only, nothing more. Take The Four Tops for example, they had a full band firing during their songs.

As for Rare Earth, I think they were one of the best with their particular sound and style. It holds it's own against anything anyone else did. Rare Earth brought Rock guitar fuzz tone, wha-wha pedal and various other things to the mix. I always liked it a lot.

So....what I'm getting at is you aren't only looking for BTM. Could be Rare Earth too, or anyone of the others. I think that Black Crows tune is pretty dang close. Especially with the soulful black women singing like their best day in church right with and behind him. That's more "Motown" to me.

Old 04-19-2014, 01:17 AM

41,748 posts, read 74,742,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
the 70's rock band Rare Earth, a white band associated with Motown? yep.
Yes, they were. All the boys in my sixth grade class loved Rare Earth. They especially liked playing the 20-minute version of "Get Ready" during art class. Over and over again. LOL

The Bee Gees, however, did not record for Motown. The Isley Brothers from Cincinnati had a few releases on Motown, but they mostly released music on their own label. Gladys Knight and the Pips recorded for other labels as well; a quick check of my 45s tells me that "Midnight Train to Georgia" was recorded on Buddha records.

Quote:
My favorite Motown album? "The Four Tops Reach Out."
I'm going to risk embarrassment here and say the Jackson 5's "ABC". I played that album to death. There are some good covers on that record. Any of Stevie Wonder's 1970s albums would do the trick as well.

Quote:
A storied history. Motown Records.
If anyone hasn't seen "Standing in the Shadows of Motown" yet, go watch it right now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music