Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2014, 04:53 PM

532 posts, read 548,959 times

Advertisements

Bonnie Raitt "Pride And Joy" - YouTube

Bonnie Raitt - Something To Talk About - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 05:04 PM

I'm gonna write some stuff down now cuz I know everyone loves the DJ who won't shut up. lol

Anyway, in the guitar slide player world "finger style" is most preferred. You can cover more strings at once and also mute excess string noise like that. Think about this for a moment.... Who's the best slide guitar player? Answer: A woman with long fingernails. She's got FIVE picks.

Old 04-23-2014, 05:13 PM

George Thorogood - Woman With the Blues - YouTube

Old 04-23-2014, 07:03 PM

Lynyrd Skynyrd-Four Walls Of Raiford - YouTube

Old 04-23-2014, 07:12 PM

104 posts, read 469,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S. Property View Post
I'm gonna write some stuff down now cuz I know everyone loves the DJ who won't shut up. lol

Anyway, in the guitar slide player world "finger style" is most preferred. You can cover more strings at once and also mute excess string noise like that. Think about this for a moment.... Who's the best slide guitar player? Answer: A woman with long fingernails. She's got FIVE picks.

LOL U.S. Property! Man you need to write an e-book with the wealth of what you know. You, Mikebnllnb and SATX56 have my mouth in a continuous from your sheer breadth of background, wisdom, knowledge, facts etc. And here I thought this thread would be a 'sleeper' appealing to a niche audience. Boy was I WRONG!

All contributors have been extraordinary listening for readers young and old alike. Vaughanwilliams, you went to school with Buddy Emmons' kid? OMG he's FAMOUS! (Take another look at this Forum - hehehe).

Shelby1half,
bringing in Bonnie Raitt was powerful! Topher5150, great suggestion of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon album! Travric, you saved us from forgetting Sneaky Pete with the Flying Burrito Brothers! Mkpunk, loved Robert Randolph's Nobodysoul, which I missed somehow so it was a real treat!

Todd00
I was pleasantly surprised to see that David Hartley has a channel! davepedalsteel - YouTube Good find. Fighter 1, you're right about David being a master of "good old country pedal steel"! I loved listening to his music. Soupson1, Jeffrey Allen "Skunk" Baxter with Steely Dan is a great reminder of him in his wild days! (never would have believed he of all people during the 80s switched careers toward military ie data-compression algorithms and large-capacity storage devices!) He works with missile defense and chairs a Congressional Advisory Board... who would have thought? LOL like that saying goes... Never judge a book by it's cover!

Canadian citizen, Jeff Healey Band video was awesome. Yes, gone too soon from cancer but never forgotten is right. Blind with a 6 string Fender on his lap took us places.

I will be very busy in coming days but wanted to personally thank all for enriching our musical lives. I'll try to put in a couple more artists after today if time allows. Again, thank you all.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:16 PM

Chuck Berry with Pedal Steel.

Youtube - Uploaded on Mar 16, 2011

A pedal steel instrumental by none other than Chuck Berry. Issued on the album
"After School Session" (Chess LP-1426) and the b-side to "School Day (Ring!
Ring! Goes The Bell)"
(Chess 1653). 1957. Chuck is believed to have used a
Gibson Electraharp on this cut.

Images (Gibson Electraharp, 1941):
http://orgs.usd.edu/nmm/PluckedStrings/Guitars/Gibson/5918/Electraharp.html

Chuck Berry - Deep Feeling (1957)

Chuck Berry - Deep Feeling (1957) - YouTube

"Crossroads Guitar Festival"

Quote from Guitar Nine in Review:

In June 2004, some of the greatest living guitar players and their bands
gathered at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas, Texas, for a three-day festival to
benefit the Crossroads Centre in Antigua.

"Crossroads Guitar Festival" was the ultimate concert for any music lover, featuring
one legend after the other: Eric Clapton, B.B. King, Buddy Guy, Eric Johnson,
James Taylor, Jimmie Vaughan, Joe Walsh, John Mayer, Robert Cray, Robert Randolph,
Santana, ZZ Top, and many more

Eric Clapton/ Robert Cray/ Buddy Guy/ Hubert Sumlin/ Jimmie Vaughan/ * Robert
Randolph *missing from title* - Six Strings Down Live

Eric Clapton/ Robert Cray/ Buddy Guy/ Hubert Sumlin/ Jimmie Vaughan - Six Strings Down Live - YouTube

Wiki:

"The Crossroads Guitar Festival is a music festival and benefit concert first
held in 2004 and again in 2007, 2010, and 2013. The festivals benefit the
Crossroads Centre founded by Eric Clapton, a drug treatment center located in
Antigua. The concerts are also intended to be a showcase for a variety of
guitarists. All were hand-picked by Eric Clapton himself, who addressed the
2007 audience, saying that each were some of the very best, and those who had
earned his respect."

Old 04-23-2014, 07:19 PM

Thanks man

I can write or explain nearly everything about equipment, technique and practically anything else.

I am more into getting these songs down though so people can check 'em out.

The net is already full of pompous conceited guitar players.

Slow Ride- Foghat (Full Version) - YouTube

Old 04-23-2014, 07:21 PM

^ Not with links demonstrating/illustrating their point of view, training the ear. LOL

Thanks U.S. Property for reminding us about Dire Straits!

The Dire Straits perform "Walk of Life" on their "On the Night" DVD.

Band members include: Mark Knopfler (lead vocals, lead guitar), John Illsley (bass, backing vocals),
Alan Clark (keyboards), Guy Fletcher (keyboards, backing vocals), Danny Cummings (percussion,
backing vocals), Paul Franklin (pedal steel guitar), Phil Palmer (rhythm guitar, backing vocals),
Chris White (saxophone, flute, backing vocals), Chris Whitten (drums).

Dire Straits - Walk of Life LIVE (On the Night, 1993) HD

Dire Straits - Walk of Life LIVE (On the Night, 1993) HD - YouTube

"On Every Street is the sixth and final studio album by British rock band Dire Straits, released on
10 September 1991 by Vertigo Records internationally, and by Warner Bros Records in the United States."

Dire Straits - On Every Street LIVE (On the Night, 1993) HD

Dire Straits - On Every Street LIVE (On the Night, 1993) HD - YouTube

Old 04-23-2014, 07:25 PM

This is a clip out of a movie.

This actually works, you can Google plans and Youtube instructions on how to build one of your own.

Jack White builds a Guitar. - YouTube

Old 04-23-2014, 07:27 PM

^ WOW!!!! (re: Jack White builds a Guitar)

Lastly, (got to go)

Staind - From their album The Illusion of Progress, Release Date: August 19, 2008,
Label: Flip/Atlantic w Johnny K Producer.

Aaron Lewis – Vocals, guitar
Mike Mushok – Guitar
Johnny April – Bass
Jon Wysocki – Drums
Johnny K – Producer, hammond organ, piano
John Pirruccello – Pedal steel guitar
Rick Barnes – Slide guitar
Stevie Blacke – strings and orchestration

Additional vocals by: Vernard Burton, Emoni Wilkins, Sharlisa Brooks, Zita Smith,
Lajuanese Robertson, and Carya Holmes-Brown.

"Tangled Up In You" - Staind - Lyrics

"Tangled Up In You" - Staind - Lyrics - YouTube

Aaron Lewis - Tangled Up In You HD Live in Lake Tahoe 8/06/2011

Aaron Lewis - Tangled Up In You HD Live in Lake Tahoe 8/06/2011 - YouTube

Staind - The Corner

Staind The Corner - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music