Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 12:11 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,425,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
I do not like the term New Wave. But, I will grudgingly go along with it and give props to Men At Work-Business As Usual, Adam and the Ants-Prince Charming, Split Enz Waiata, and The Police- Zenyatta Modatta just to name a few. There were tons of great artist from the 70's and the 80's that these hipster wankers can'y replicate no matter how hard they try!
Uncanny - just this past week, I listened to Zenyatta Mondatta driving around and then popped in Prince Charming right after. Listened to Men At Work and Split Enz when I got home. We must have similar taste in music.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 04:47 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Uncanny - just this past week, I listened to Zenyatta Mondatta driving around and then popped in Prince Charming right after. Listened to Men At Work and Split Enz when I got home.
This thread has inspired me to pull out some old records that I haven't listened to in awhile: Squeeze's Sweets from a Stranger, the first B52s record, the Cars' Candy-O, and the Police's Ghost in the Machine.

And one of the best albums to cook dinner to (although not truly New Wave): Boston, Mass., by the Del Fuegos. Try it!

Old 05-07-2014, 09:14 AM

On the subject of New Wave - I completed this little test this morning and posting my results here. Sharing the link in case anyone wants to give it a go themselves. These things are usually just a handful of replies and I inevitably agree with the results each time.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/perpetua/whi...e-band-are-you
Attached Thumbnails
Best New Wave albums?-image.jpg  

Old 05-07-2014, 09:33 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
I'm sure a few of the underground bands were called New Wave, but the true New Wave bands are the bands I listed. Actually, a good portion of New Wave wasn't played on the radio, at least in America. Artists like Talking Heads and Elvis Costello struggled to receive airplay. The poppier, synth-driven music that came onto the scene around 82/83 was played on the radio, but this was called Synthpop or New Romantic, artists such as The Human League, Spandau Ballet, Culture Club, Wham!, etc.
From what I remember (I was an '80s kid/teenager), you wouldn't hear New Wave music on the radio much of anywhere in the country outside of California. In college, I had only one station on my car radio, KROQ in L.A. (San Diego had 91X and San Fran. had a new wave station as well). KROQ started a strictly alternative/modern rock/new wave format in 1982, something unheard of in most of the U.S.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:37 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times
I love listening to the "1st Wave" station on satellite radio. It alays puts me in a good mood. But I'm also liking some of the new music that has strong hints of New Wave. Fitz and the Tantrums sound very New Wave to me.

Last edited by denverian; 05-07-2014 at 10:51 AM..

Old 05-07-2014, 10:04 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,491,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I love listening to the "1st Wave" station on satellite radio. It alays puts me in a good mood. But I'm also liking some of the new music that has strong hings of New Wave. Fitz and the Tantrums sound very New Wave to me.
Many Alternative/Indie bands around today have a New Wave-ish sound to them. Vampire Weekend, Franz Ferdinand, and Kaiser Chiefs are also good examples and are in particular all very XTC-influenced.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:27 AM
Q44

894 posts, read 1,030,194 times
Quote:
From what I remember (I was an '80s kid/teenager), you wouldn't hear New Wave music on the radio much of anywhere in the country outside of California. In college, I had only one station on my car radio, KROQ in L.A. (San Diego had 91X and San Fran. had a new wave station as well). KROQ started a strictly alternative/modern rock/new wave format in 1982, something unheard of in most of the U.S.

In NY we had 92.7 WLIR from Long Island. During the 70's they skipped the traditional album rock bands and were the first (and only) in this area to play bands like The Clash and Elvis Costello, Graham Parker, Talking Heads. In the early 80's they were huge on Depeche Mode, The Cure, Smiths, New Order, B-52's and even The Bus Boys. I remember them doing something like a 15 minute long mash-up of Pump up the Volume/Edelweiss/and Kon Kan's I Beg Your Pardon.

Perfect area for this music because Long Island had Club Malibu where acts like Billy Idol played. A lot of these acts like Depeche Mode, OMD and Fine Young Cannibals would also play outdoors at the Jones Beach Summer concerts. In the City we still had CBGB's and Gildersleeve's etc playing new music.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:29 AM

Quote:
I love listening to the "1st Wave" station on satellite radio. It alays puts me in a good mood. But I'm also liking some of the new music that has strong hings of New Wave. Fitz and the Tantrums sound very New Wave to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Many Alternative/Indie bands around today have a New Wave-ish sound to them. Vampire Weekend, Franz Ferdinand, and Kaiser Chiefs are also good examples and are in particular all very XTC-influenced.
How about this one? Reminds me of KROQ mid 80s:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bIEOZCcaXzE

Old 05-07-2014, 10:31 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
On the subject of New Wave - I completed this little test this morning and posting my results here.
I'm the Talking Heads - clever and quirky. LOL

Old 05-07-2014, 11:46 AM

4,529 posts, read 5,137,340 times
I've always thought Yeasayer had a New Wave sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ze_ie8Ctp60

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDDQj4dqOiE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music