Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 07:50 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Otto Sweet Heart View Post
^^^ Not to be mean, but that I've never been into that Jesse James girl. There is just something about her voice that grates on my nerves.

"High Cost Of Living" from Jamey Johnson to me is one of his best.

God bless you two and him always!!!

Holly
The amazing thing with music, your ear is different than mine and we can like different things. To me, Jessie James is pretty good (though I would take Cassadee Pope over her.) In another example, I haven't really heard a Miley Cyrus song I've liked since Party in the US (except Wrecking Ball in covers) compare that to "Smilers" (her fans who liked everything she's done whether it was country pop, pop rock or traditional pop. I've never heard a Beiber or One Direction song I've liked yet they are massively popular. There's traditional pop music that is popular that I do enjoy like Demi Lovato but I can't stand the way most modern traditional pop. Indie pop, that's different and there's many good ones. Going back to Jessie James, she was pop (now country pop) but to me there was always country in her even before she went truly country.

Anyways I love Jamey Johnson's cover of My Home's In Alabama.

Jamey Johnson - My Home's In Alabama (Feat. Alabama) - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 05:54 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
The music industry is changing. I think people are finding other ways to get stuff out there and sort of bypassing the big record companies and that's a good thing.

Music, at least stuff that is one the radio, is just over produced crapola that doesn't have much soul. I try to make an effort to listen to newer stuff to try and stay someone in the loop.

I tune in just to check it out, I don't want to be one of the old guys that just crab and moan about how everything was better back in the day, yeah, some things were probably better, but not all.

The OP is right, there are newer artist coming out that have potential to be good. Time will tell how well they stick.

That is one of the things that seems to be different, they're hasn't been any obvious mega talents with staying power that has came out.

John Lennon, Elton Johh, Michael Jackson, Frank Sinatra....

There isn't anyone like that now, at least as it appears now, we'll have to see how time shakes out.

It just seems like the cycles of people coming out and fading way seems to be the order of the day, it seem like there just isn't "the one" anymore.

I mean, you have pinheads like Justin Bieber... I get it though, he's marketed toward little girls and there is always a new crop of tweens coming up... so I guess there's a market for that garbage.... but whatever....

Old 05-04-2015, 01:58 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,114,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
The music industry is changing. I think people are finding other ways to get stuff out there and sort of bypassing the big record companies and that's a good thing.

Music, at least stuff that is one the radio, is just over produced crapola that doesn't have much soul. I try to make an effort to listen to newer stuff to try and stay someone in the loop.

I tune in just to check it out, I don't want to be one of the old guys that just crab and moan about how everything was better back in the day, yeah, some things were probably better, but not all.

The OP is right, there are newer artist coming out that have potential to be good. Time will tell how well they stick.

That is one of the things that seems to be different, they're hasn't been any obvious mega talents with staying power that has came out.

John Lennon, Elton Johh, Michael Jackson, Frank Sinatra....

There isn't anyone like that now, at least as it appears now, we'll have to see how time shakes out.

It just seems like the cycles of people coming out and fading way seems to be the order of the day, it seem like there just isn't "the one" anymore.

I mean, you have pinheads like Justin Bieber... I get it though, he's marketed toward little girls and there is always a new crop of tweens coming up... so I guess there's a market for that garbage.... but whatever....
I guess it feels like there aren't any huge artists with staying power these days due to the 5minute lifespan of pop these days.

It's like pop music got reaaaaaly bad and the other genres just don't get any attention from mainstream media

people like Nick Cave who write outstanding lyrics and has little mainstream attention ... Or Gary Clarke Jnr playing the guitar like he does... There is really great music being made, imo

Old 05-04-2015, 04:01 PM

875 posts, read 635,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Music, at least stuff that is one the radio, is just over produced crapola that doesn't have much soul.
This is why we need singers like my most favorite James Otto. Country soul music is his field of expertise, but unfortunately not enough people on this planet would know awesome music if it kicked them where it hurts.

God bless you and James always!!!

Holly

P.S. This is his newest song named "Somewhere Tonight" which I've seen some people online say is just like everything else on country radio right now because its the only music that is given the time a day anymore, but sadly not even this song from him is being played as much as everything else is if any. My only question is what more do the powers that be want from him???!!!

Old 05-05-2015, 07:27 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,178,983 times
Actually music these days is pretty amazing.....

Muse, Radiohead, U2, Jack White, One Republic, Justin Timberlake....
All continue to put out excellent & original work.......

For anyone talking specifically about the new garbage that's played on the radio.....

That's not music.

And the truly talented artists, the living legends that are still very relevant & very talented....
They agree, lol

Here's what one of my personal favorites thinks of a few popular yet totally overrated & talentless hacks--

Radiohead's Thom Yorke Schools Miley Cyrus & Kanye West on Humility | E! Online

Old 05-05-2015, 11:40 AM

368 posts, read 396,138 times
As many before me have said, there's great music to be found today. Of course, who wants to (or even has the time to) look for it?

Old 05-05-2015, 02:39 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Two words. Ariana. Grande.

Old 05-05-2015, 02:44 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,930 times
I miss bubblegum pop and guitar solos, but I don't think today's music is really objectively worse. The 80s, 90s, and 00s had tons of terrible music, as did the 70s and earlier decades.

I do think one difference is the media is more fragmented, so there's fewer "legends", and the people who are household names are mostly people we love to hate like Justin Bieber, Britney and Miley. There's also fewer movements, especially geographically coherent ones which is probably due to the Internet flattening things out and just the fact so many genres have already been invented. Pretty much every genre that exists today already existed by 1989, the only exception I can think of is dubstep and other very specific electro and "core" sub genres.

The fact there hasn't really been a "Beatles" in a long time and today's music increasingly derives from old music probably makes today's scene feel boring or unoriginal to many.

Old 05-05-2015, 02:46 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
I think the talent is there but many of the most talented artists aren't allowed time to actually find an audience so what we're stuck with are the artists that produce mostly "catchy tunes". If someone isn't an immediate hit, it's off to oblivion with them. With the demise of CDs and albums, we never get to hear an artist's full body of work-all we hear, over and over, are the one or two songs some corporate radio station wants us to hear.
I actually don't even find a lot of the tunes that get popular catchy. Like even that Frozen song, I forgot it as soon as I heard it!

Old 05-05-2015, 11:29 PM

3,223 posts, read 10,100,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty All View Post
I feel most adults feel that music isn't as good as in the "good ol' days", but I'll have to disagree...we have so many talented artists still making music, young ones on the scene, and artists that release just catchy songs:

Alicia Keys, Lorde, Lana del Rey, Coldplay, Imagine Dragons
Because it's more bland, less catchy and more difficult to recognize which song is which.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music