Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 09:26 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,671,285 times

Advertisements

Ps will check out the clips Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 09:30 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,165,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolZombie View Post
It's cranky elderly people who think that, of whom there are many. A lot of old people just like to delude themselves that things were amazing when they were younger and that they suck now. Nostalgia is just a human reaction to aging since it helps them deal with their diminishing appearance and faculties.
Oh come now. Let us not simply label everyone as cranky and old and simply blame it on nostalgia.

Writing styles are different. Earlier rock songs were usually composed by one or two people, Auto-Tune was unheard of, most artists played their own instruments with minimal computer manipulation, and the songs were comprised of an actual theme or relatively deep thought.

Many of the popular songs now are composed by a committee of 6 or 8 people and comprised of 4 or 5 lines repeated ad nauseum, autotune is a given, a computer plays most of the tune, and the lyrics are increasingly and woefully gross like this little current hit gem:

Bruno Mars – Gorilla Lyrics | Bruno Mars

Really? Man, that's some deep, meaningful writing there.

Meh, to each his or her own. Just my .02 there.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:35 PM

18 posts, read 15,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty All View Post
I feel most adults feel that music isn't as good as in the "good ol' days", but I'll have to disagree...we have so many talented artists still making music, young ones on the scene, and artists that release just catchy songs:

Alicia Keys, Lorde, Lana del Rey, Coldplay, Imagine Dragons
Adults have always said that since the begining of music. It is usually said by parents, they basically stopped listening to new things after they got married. The brain and cognitive thinking all factor into this.

If someone reads this comment 30 years from now they will say the same thing and say the muic from the 2000s was the best.

It is kind of funny hearing this when I remember older people bashing their music at one time.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:36 PM

18 posts, read 15,684 times
I forgot to add that it also does not help when music videos, new music artists strictly target youner people or are younger people in their teens or early 20s. It makes older people feel alienated in a way.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:39 PM

4,882 posts, read 5,011,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty All View Post
But the fact is, Kanye West is one of the MOST critically-acclaimed artists of this generation. He is eccentric, and you may not like rap, but he is a so-called "critic darling"

--
I'd like to have some of these posters give some examples of songs they don't like...
Pharnell Williams. And that damned; "Happy" song.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:12 PM

I don't really think in 30 years anyone is going to say the music from 2000 was great.
There isn't the same attention span to even focus on learning music like there once was. I feel that is what is missing along with the passion for music.

There use to be such a strong music vibe it's what brought people together. Everyone was constantly talking about music ! What concert did you go to? What record did you just buy ? This was mainstream conversation and everyone was excited and inspired. Rock & Roll, Hard Rock, Metal, Pop, R & B, Jazz, Blues, etc. Wonderful

Old 04-28-2014, 10:21 PM

532 posts, read 550,106 times
Here's that tune for you '70's Music Girl. Both the original and remake.

Bo Diddley - Who Do You Love - YouTube

George Thorogood & The Destroyers - Who Do You Love? - YouTube

Old 04-28-2014, 10:51 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howell014 View Post
I forgot to add that it also does not help when music videos, new music artists strictly target youner people or are younger people in their teens or early 20s. It makes older people feel alienated in a way.
In the pop world,mostly this is the case - yes.

However someone like Gary Clark Jnr, Imelda May etc -- these are new artists and they don't target that demographic.

Old 04-28-2014, 11:13 PM

Bo Diddley and George Thorogood is major talent - different time. The younger generation can learn from these great artists.

I like BB King too, amazing talent

My fav's Rolling Stones, Led Z, The Who, Pink Floyd, Foreigner, Aerosmith, Jefferson Starship, Doobie Brothers, Lynard Skynard, Chicago, The Tubes, Tower of Power, etc.
Just love music and have such an appreciation for it

Old 04-28-2014, 11:19 PM

532 posts, read 550,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
In the pop world,mostly this is the case - yes.

However someone like Gary Clark Jnr, Imelda May etc -- these are new artists and they don't target that demographic.
Gary is a fellow Texan. I just discovered him recently. He's been paying attention too.

ZZ Top - Hairdresser - YouTube

Gary Clark Jr. - Numb [Official Music Video] - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music