Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 05:50 AM

4,529 posts, read 5,137,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S. Property View Post
Gary is a fellow Texan. I just discovered him recently. He's been paying attention too.

ZZ Top - Hairdresser - YouTube

Gary Clark Jr. - Numb [Official Music Video] - YouTube
You're welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 07:25 AM

3,527 posts, read 3,731,599 times
Yes, Mr. President.

http://rlv.zcache.com/drop_beats_not...pg?bg=0xffffff

Old 04-29-2014, 07:36 AM

734 posts, read 1,081,914 times
Hip hop has really gone downhill. It's the same ignorant sounding lyrics rapped over the same ignorant sounding beat. The music is trash. There are good rappers out there, but they are not being promoted, they don't even play their music on the radio. I'm glad they invented mp3 players so I don't even have to listen to the radio.

Don't get me started on r&b. Trashy lyrics, crappy production. There are still some good groups out there, like Mint Condition but they are not being promoted either. It seems like the more ratchet, ignorant and trashy "artists" are the ones who get the most promotion. Talent and class gets pushed to the background.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:45 AM

558 posts, read 1,120,573 times
Personally 99% of the junk on the radio does nothing for me. I like lots of different types; Metal, Death/Black Metal, Pop Rock like Weezer, Sublime etc, Punk- Ramones, Rancid. These bands are not "underground" but they are less likely to be played than the wrecking ball type songs. I like a lot of todays music but most of it's not played on the radio. Lots of great artists you just don't hear them on the radio too much if at all.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:07 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howell014 View Post
Adults have always said that since the begining of music.
My mom thought my Beatles and Stones records were "noise", and my grandmother thought the same about my mom's swing and jazz records.

Quote:
It is usually said by parents, they basically stopped listening to new things after they got married. The brain and cognitive thinking all factor into this.
It has more to do with shifting priorities. You get a house, kids, a job ... and there are still only 24 hours in a day. Something has to give.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70's Music Girl View Post
There use to be such a strong music vibe it's what brought people together. Everyone was constantly talking about music ! What concert did you go to? What record did you just buy ?
My teenage nieces and nephews do this. Nothing has changed. Kids still talk about popular music; adults still say their music is noise and listen to their own stuff.

And the beat goes on
The beat goes on
La de da dee deee
La de da dee da

Old 04-29-2014, 12:49 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger76 View Post
Personally 99% of the junk on the radio does nothing for me. I like lots of different types; Metal, Death/Black Metal, Pop Rock like Weezer, Sublime etc, Punk- Ramones, Rancid. These bands are not "underground" but they are less likely to be played than the wrecking ball type songs. I like a lot of todays music but most of it's not played on the radio. Lots of great artists you just don't hear them on the radio too much if at all.
I agree, there is a LOT of great rock that isn't even played on the radio. Maybe a few shows but a lot is nothing new. I know this is the case with mainstream and modern rock radio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
My mom thought my Beatles and Stones records were "noise", and my grandmother thought the same about my mom's swing and jazz records.

It has more to do with shifting priorities. You get a house, kids, a job ... and there are still only 24 hours in a day. Something has to give.

My teenage nieces and nephews do this. Nothing has changed. Kids still talk about popular music; adults still say their music is noise and listen to their own stuff.

And the beat goes on
The beat goes on
La de da dee deee
La de da dee da
It's not so much a beat goes on, music is really honestly not as good now as ever. We have fewer genres and most sound the same from song to song. Besides bright spots in pop (Katy Perry, Sara Barreilles, Colbie Calliat, even to an extent Demi Lovato), R&B (John Legend, Cee Lo, Joss Stone, Lorde, Adele) and rap (Eminem) there is too much similar sounding stuff that is disposable. Not saying there is noise in music except if you listen to say Dillinger Escape Plan and The Number Twelve Looks Like You (both are good by the way.)

Old 04-29-2014, 12:54 PM

1,989 posts, read 2,535,268 times
Gettin old sucks.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:31 PM

1,309 posts, read 1,159,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
I'm 24 and I think today's music is mostly crap.

Rock got too far away from the blues for my liking, the quality of musicianship got way worse, and I hate how whiny vocals seem to have become a big thing. R&B damn near kicked instrumentation out the window, everything's a studio beat now, and instead of making soul music for all aspects of life, it's just corny ballads and club music.

I went with a friend to see some current popular "indie" rock bands, then went and saw Santana and the Allman Brothers ... no comparison.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
Oh come now. Let us not simply label everyone as cranky and old and simply blame it on nostalgia.

Writing styles are different. Earlier rock songs were usually composed by one or two people, Auto-Tune was unheard of, most artists played their own instruments with minimal computer manipulation, and the songs were comprised of an actual theme or relatively deep thought.

Many of the popular songs now are composed by a committee of 6 or 8 people and comprised of 4 or 5 lines repeated ad nauseum, autotune is a given, a computer plays most of the tune, and the lyrics are increasingly and woefully gross like this little current hit gem:

Bruno Mars – Gorilla Lyrics | Bruno Mars

Really? Man, that's some deep, meaningful writing there.

Meh, to each his or her own. Just my .02 there.
People today have access to Youtube, Spotify, Pandora, satellite radio and digital radio. Thinking all of the music coming out now is terrible is either the product of a bitter old crank or a closed mind incapable of accepting even the smallest innovation. New music is coming out in every genre from all kinds of young bands/musicians. Johnbiggs I'll agree with you that today's indie bands dont compare to Santana and the Allman Brothers, the indie bands you saw couldnt possibly suck that hard!

And reloop you're being a bit ridiculous assuming all pop is autotuned pop a la Britney Spears as if it were 2002 still. Lorde, Adele, Imagine Dragons, John Legend and Bastille among many others do no such thing. You're very clearly out of touch with popular music by at least a decade, I suggest looking at the Billboard top 40 to get a good grasp of whats going on now.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:42 PM

2,777 posts, read 1,781,052 times
I think there's too much of it, it's too computerized/polished/perfected and it's too easy to get.

If you listen to the old records, you can hear mistakes or out-of-tune vocals and it adds to the charm... and you can feel that a lot of work was put into it. I think sometimes you get this nowadays but not as often.

But the worst thing about it is you can get it right away... it's much more exciting to walk to the store, see it on the shelves, take it home, lay on your bed and wallow in it. Chances are you're listening to music for the first time while doing something else on your computer.

Old 04-29-2014, 05:02 PM

3,527 posts, read 3,731,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odo View Post
I think there's too much of it, it's too computerized/polished/perfected and it's too easy to get.

If you listen to the old records, you can hear mistakes or out-of-tune vocals and it adds to the charm... and you can feel that a lot of work was put into it. I think sometimes you get this nowadays but not as often.

But the worst thing about it is you can get it right away... it's much more exciting to walk to the store, see it on the shelves, take it home, lay on your bed and wallow in it. Chances are you're listening to music for the first time while doing something else on your computer.
I have not heard this before. I have heard "too easy to make." Today it is better. Back then you relied on a small circle to get new music: your friends giving you new albums to try, the local scene/going to concerts, and the radio. It is possible there is a barrier for older people where they don't know to use the technology we have, or they simply don't want to learn. Anyone posting on this forum knows more than some do about the Internet, and in that sense you are ahead of the game. I personally love how easy it is to access new music, but then again I am not an audiophile. I know people who are, and it gets annoying when they can't enjoy a song because it is not the highest quality. CD quality over mp3, sure, but come on now. Music versus technics. Music wins.

Quote:
I liked CDs too for the same reason, but eventually it just became clutter. It is natural to pine for the past, but I think music is not one of those areas where it is ideal to apply such nostalgia. You have to make the decision to find new stuff. As has been evidenced in this thread and throughout various other threads on City-Data, you must find good stuff on your own. Current corporate radio is not as good as the corporate radio of a few decades ago. That I can agree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolZombie View Post
People today have access to Youtube, Spotify, Pandora, satellite radio and digital radio. Thinking all of the music coming out now is terrible is either the product of a bitter old crank or a closed mind incapable of accepting even the smallest innovation. New music is coming out in every genre from all kinds of young bands/musicians. Johnbiggs I'll agree with you that today's indie bands dont compare to Santana and the Allman Brothers, the indie bands you saw couldnt possibly suck that hard!
^^ And there it is. And here it is: Pandora. Try it. Resist the temptation to add any old artist. Start with one new band and let the service go from there until it finds something you like.

YouTube: Go to YouTube and do a general search for the type of music you like. Use "Indie rock" and add the year "2013" or "2014" and see what YouTube gives you. Then, if you don't like it, click on one of the random "suggested videos" on the right and try one of those. Keep doing this until something catches your ear. I have done this and found a lot of new songs. The other part of YouTube is the comments sections. Sift through the comments sections from time to time for new suggestions. Listen to everything around you. I have found songs that were in completely unrelated YouTube videos. I read the comments section to find out if anyone said what the song was (if it wasn't in the description). Not only that, I have found A+ songs from other people who made suggestions in the comments section for similar-sounding songs.

All any of us that listen to the new stuff can do is tell you to do this. One day I said, "I am tired of my playlist. I want new stuff. I am not going to listen to a single old tune while I find new stuff." It worked.

As you get older, your circles get smaller, but the Internet stays vast with tons of music available at your fingertips. You have to spend time exploring. That is the point in loving music, no?

Last edited by Free-R; 04-29-2014 at 05:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music