Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 10:57 PM

369 posts, read 392,819 times

Advertisements

U2 New Year's Day (Full Version) - YouTube

U2 - Mysterious Ways - YouTube

U2 - With Or Without You - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 12:33 AM

1,879 posts, read 2,027,603 times
A faculty advisor to my college Christian group used to give talks about spiritual messages in U2 songs. (FYI I'm not religious anymore.) He was a huge U2 fan, and this was around their big comeback circa 2001. For instance, near the end of "Mysterious Ways," Bono says "The Spirit moves in mysterious ways." Blink and you'll miss it, but the lyric is there.

I can't imagine hearing the lyrics to "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" and not realizing it's completely religious.

"Gloria" is their best religious song, and on a good day their best song period. The video was posted earlier in this thread. I'd say it beats Van Morrison's song of the same name.

I think Boy is my favorite album of theirs. Out of Control, Electric Co, An Cat Dubh, good rocking stuff.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:38 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I never noticed but I'm only a casual fan of U2. I've seen them in concert and it was really fun.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:29 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,178,983 times
Hmmm anyone who actually listens to this & doesn't feel it- has no soul.......
Btw, I crank this all the way up....
It's just so powerful......

Yea, though I walk
In the valley of shadow
Yea, I will fear no evil
I have cursed thy rod and staff
They no longer comfort me
Love rescue me

U2 - Love Rescue Me Lyrics - YouTube

Old 05-30-2014, 09:51 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,186,791 times
U2 - Coming for the Music or the Message

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. – Political activism from rock stars has a long lineage. You can trace it all the way back to George Harrison's "Concert for Bangladesh" in 1972, the "No Nukes" concert in New York in 1979, "LIVE AID" and "We Are the World" in the 1980s, and many more. Today such activism is ubiquitous. Concert-goers are urged to support a wide range of causes, and artists' web sites act as grass-roots organizations for a multitude of high-minded projects.

But no band -- and no band leader -- embodies this ideal more today than U2 and Bono. The band supports the efforts of Amnesty International, Greenpeace, and the Chernobyl Children’s Project. Bono has used his fame to put considerable pressure on countries to reduce the burden of debt on developing countries and to draw attention to the fight against AIDS in Africa with his RED project.

But what's the real draw, the music or the message?

U2: coming for the music or the message?

Old 06-10-2014, 07:50 AM

Lay down your treasure
Lay it down now brother.......

U2 - Love And Peace Or Else (Lyrics in Description Box) - YouTube

Old 06-10-2014, 01:23 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
There's several spiritual U2 songs. I don't know if it was posted already but "Where The Streets Have No Name" is a perfect example of the hidden spiritual sub-text inside of the song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZU8qQQV_QA

Old 06-11-2014, 11:28 AM

See this one...although it technically has no spiritual lyrics (unlike the others I've posted)
has a really deep feeling for me-
I take it as a song that touches my soul somehow

U2 Bad Live - YouTube

Old 07-15-2014, 09:31 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
Too religious? No friggin way. Their religious roots underpin most of Bono's lyrics. The desire to be good, but questioning whether that is through following the rules, authentic sensuality, or moral courage are themes that run through their music, and resonate. Bono is a pretty authentic Irish Catholic. He has evolved over time, but haven't we all? Religious dogma is a road map. It does not, and cannot capture all the rawness, hypocrisy, uncertainty, and richness of life. Still, I am thankful for the perspective I was given by my religious training, and that is why U2 is just not another skank band. It is about people who genuinely desire to be good, and sometimes, just to have fun. Don't we all?

But perhaps more important, their musical talent is a gift from the gods..!

Old 07-15-2014, 10:29 PM

^^^^Great posts guys
I appreciate the chance to throw another into the mix here, lol
Some deep tracks from Rattle & Hum....

*There are many here among us
Who feel that life is but a joke
But you and I we've been through that
And this is not our fate
So let us not talk falsely now
The hour's getting late.*

U2 - All Along The Watchtower / In God's Country.mp4 - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music