Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 06:15 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,967,570 times

Advertisements

So, from talking with my coworkers mostly, it would seem I am in the minority of having more respect for people who write and sing their own songs vs people who sings songs that are written for them. It would seem to me that a lot of pop singers and country singers especially do NOT write their own songs, yet are enormously famous. Whereas most of the bands I like, primarily in the rock genre, do write their own songs, and sometimes still end up big, just not as big since Pop and Country dominate the airwaves today.

To me it's more impressive and personable when I know that person singing those words I relate to so strongly actually penned those words and felt that way once vs someone who is just singing a song that they never lived through themselves. I could go on and list several very popular artists who don't write their own songs, doesn't mean I don't like the music, I just don't respect the artist as much, I'm incapable of feeling that same personal bond with the song.

What are your feelings on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 02:57 PM

873 posts, read 634,641 times
I am where you are. To me, someone writing what it is that they sing is another way to get to know them as a person. My most favorite singer James Otto writes most of his songs.

God bless you and him always!!!

Holly

Old 06-10-2014, 03:03 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,185,269 times
I just enjoy the music.Does not matter too me who wrote it.

Old 06-10-2014, 03:10 PM

41,940 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
I just enjoy the music.Does not matter too me who wrote it.
Ditto.

Not all songwriters "feel" their music; they just crank it out. Anyway, how do you know a singer never "lived" the song that someone else wrote? You don't.

Old 06-10-2014, 03:43 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
It doesn't matter to me. My favorite singer is Linda Ronstadt, and I think she's written one song. Most of my music by men, OTOH, they wrote it and played it (the Beatles, Warren Zevon, the Stones, Jackson Browne, Neil Young, Andy Pratt, Andrew Gold).

Old 06-10-2014, 04:08 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
So, from talking with my coworkers mostly, it would seem I am in the minority of having more respect for people who write and sing their own songs vs people who sings songs that are written for them. It would seem to me that a lot of pop singers and country singers especially do NOT write their own songs, yet are enormously famous. Whereas most of the bands I like, primarily in the rock genre, do write their own songs, and sometimes still end up big, just not as big since Pop and Country dominate the airwaves today.

To me it's more impressive and personable when I know that person singing those words I relate to so strongly actually penned those words and felt that way once vs someone who is just singing a song that they never lived through themselves. I could go on and list several very popular artists who don't write their own songs, doesn't mean I don't like the music, I just don't respect the artist as much, I'm incapable of feeling that same personal bond with the song.

What are your feelings on this?
I don't listen to music to be impressed with the person, I listen to it for the artistic product. I could not possibly care less whether the song was written by the singer.

I like the Hendrix version of All Along The Watchtower better than that of the writer Dylan. Why would my pleasure at listening to it possible diminish by the fact that he did not write it? I think Dylan is a wonderful writer. And I think Hendrix is a wonderful performer.

Music is a performance. I no more care that John Lennon didn't write Stand By Me (his is my favorite version of it) than I care whether or not he hand-built his own guitar (paging Brian May) or engineered his recording studio and invented his amplifiers (paging Tom Scholz).

My appreciation for music is about the music, not about lauding the impressiveness of the artists - I left that fanboy-dom decades ago.

And I'd much rather hear Beethoven's Violin Concerto than something written by whoever happens to be the soloing violinist.

Old 06-10-2014, 05:00 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,967,570 times
Surprising to see people don't care if artists write their own songs or not. They just care about the music. The emotional connection you feel to a song becomes that much more powerful to me when you realize that the singer is actually speaking from the soul, they are telling you a story that happened to them, something they felt, something they lived through. It's their poetry. A musician or artist becomes that much more impressive and personable when they write their own songs. I have to say I'm a little surprised more people don't care about this, but it is what it is.

Old 06-10-2014, 05:08 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,136,004 times
I tend to like only artist who write there own stuff.

Old 06-10-2014, 06:18 PM

4,583 posts, read 4,272,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Surprising to see people don't care if artists write their own songs or not. They just care about the music. The emotional connection you feel to a song becomes that much more powerful to me when you realize that the singer is actually speaking from the soul, they are telling you a story that happened to them, something they felt, something they lived through. It's their poetry. A musician or artist becomes that much more impressive and personable when they write their own songs. I have to say I'm a little surprised more people don't care about this, but it is what it is.
I'm with you here. I definitely have more respect for the artist that writes their own stuff. I used to shun away from cover bands. Not so much nowadays. But I want the whole package. Just means that much more to me.

Old 06-10-2014, 06:41 PM

3,201 posts, read 4,408,008 times
well, i dont have "favorite" artists

since we're talking music business i know that what you see in the credits are not true alot of the time

everyone is not capable or songwriting (good songs) there are only a small group of people with that talent

and those people may not have the look or talent to be the artist or even want to be

so no it doesnt matter to me.

there is a small segment of hiphop [yes i know this isnt music] where it matters though... if your a "lyricist" you should be writing your own ish
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music