Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 10:52 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,468,466 times

Advertisements

Ugh! I couldn't even get through 30 seconds of the second video! I only watched about a minute of the first video. At least in the first video, the rap seemed to go along with the beat of the music. Rick Ross sounds like he's trying to cram as much to say as he possibly can before Mariah starts singing. Give me Run DMC or the Beastie Boys any day over this crap!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 12:20 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,322,191 times
Every single element of the songs played on contemporary Country Radio is garbage. Butt-rock with a banjo.

Old 07-10-2014, 07:51 PM

2,101 posts, read 4,527,125 times
This guy does a checklist of all the annoying contemporary production techniques:

How To Make A Hit Pop Song, Pt. 1 - YouTube

Old 07-11-2014, 07:36 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,468,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhtex View Post
Every single element of the songs played on contemporary Country Radio is garbage. Butt-rock with a banjo.
LOL!!!!! Butt-rock with a banjo! That has a nice ring to it!

Old 07-22-2014, 08:25 AM

2,101 posts, read 4,527,125 times
Another annoying production thing: what is up with the stupid audio watermarks in pop music? You know - where the producer announces his name at the beginning of the song? Cut that out!

Old 08-04-2014, 11:16 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,047,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
What are some of the most annoying music production gimmicks you've heard in music of the past or present?

For me, the two most annoying gimmicks I hear in modern popular music are: pitch correction software (commonly known as Autotune) being used to cover up a singer's lack of singing talent (see: Jason DeRulo, Future, Katy Perry, etc.) and the chorus of guys yelling "hey, hey, hey hey" that's present in practically every modern rap or R&B song.
While I agree with you about how the use of Autotune is annoying and should be abolished, it's not fair to include Katy Perry under your list of singers who lack singing talent. I've seen her sing live, and she is really good! She has a very beautiful voice with a lot of range and a lot of power, and she is able to show a lot of emotion in her voice.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:19 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,047,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetlord View Post
Just heard the song for the first time. As far as production gimmicks go, and same song by the way, the worst has to be a melodic female vocal followed with a rapping guy. This gimmick is very cheesy, formulaic, and has also been used for a long time now in popular music--it's a very popular gimmick in pop/R&B, etc. The rapping always sounds out of sync/style with the vocals and instrumental part of the song.

Now I do like vocal splicing/amping and so forth if it's done right.
While I generally agree with you, and I am not a fan of rap, I think that the combination used in "Dark Horse" (the song that you were referring to) actually works. In that case, the rap verse was part of the song from the beginning, and not something that was added later. Having said that, I would have preferred if Katy sang that song by herself, or with a non-rap male singer.

Old 08-04-2014, 01:44 PM

3,531 posts, read 3,732,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
While I generally agree with you, and I am not a fan of rap, I think that the combination used in "Dark Horse" (the song that you were referring to) actually works. In that case, the rap verse was part of the song from the beginning, and not something that was added later. Having said that, I would have preferred if Katy sang that song by herself, or with a non-rap male singer.
It's all good, man. It's just that the whole melodic female vocal and then rap parts has been popular--the stuff that gets played on the radio--since about the late-'90s. Let's make something else. With that said, I listed Mariah Carey's "Triumphant" as an example. The Pulse Remix Extended version of "Triumphant" is much better--it's more upbeat and features just her. Sometimes you can find versions without the rap for some of these songs if a remix has been released.

Old 08-05-2014, 02:40 PM

2,518 posts, read 5,356,549 times
Vocoder-treated vocals. The first time I ever heard it I thought it was quite good, now it's just tiresome and comes across as being a cheap gimmick.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:41 AM

23 posts, read 20,750 times
vocoder, only Carl Sagan can make it cool...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music