Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 03:13 PM

607 posts, read 761,107 times

Advertisements

Now, Carly did NOT write like Carol King, or sing like Janis Joplin, BUT, she definitely had her own style, wrote largely her own songs, and played guitar to boot(Personally I always thought she was hot as hell as well but thats just me).....

So, the jury is out..How talented indeed WAS Carly? WHo could/would you compare her with?

My opinion?..I think she was underrated..not hugely, but somewhat......She def had her own sound and voice...when you heard "Nobody Does it Better" or "You're so Vain"(and didnt you love the son of a gun she says in the beginning), you knew it was her immediately...

My two favs would be "Anticipation", and "That's the way I've always heard it should be"...those both bore into my spirit when I hear them, and did as a young kid.....Anticipation is simply a great sweet nostalgic song, perfectly crafted for that era(singer songwriters).....and yeah, I know it was used for Heinz Ketchup commercial, so sue me..lol...."Thats the way" is powerful, especially the "Marry Me" ending, but the whole tune captivates......

Any opinions on carly's talent(or lack of it)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2014, 03:14 PM

Carly Simon - That's The Way I Always Heard It Should Be - 1971 - YouTube

Old 07-26-2014, 03:16 PM

Carly Simon - Anticipation - 1971 - YouTube

Old 07-26-2014, 03:22 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,650,729 times
Believe it or not Carly was said to have suffered from stage fright...who know how that effected her career...but it didn't help...I personally liked Linda Ronstadt although she didn't write her own songs...but she had such a beautiful clear strong powerful voice and yet at times so soft and gentle...

Old 07-26-2014, 03:31 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
She IS still alive ... .

She DID write. She is an incredible songwriter who has a gift for writing concise yet meaningful lyrics.

Old 07-26-2014, 04:19 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,044,051 times
I was surprised to hear "That's The Way I've Always Heard It Should Be" on the radio earlier this month. It's such a melodic, deliberate song, compared to the uptempo mandate of today.

Old 07-26-2014, 04:21 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioSilence View Post
I was surprised to hear "That's The Way I've Always Heard It Should Be" on the radio earlier this month. It's such a melodic, deliberate song, compared to the uptempo mandate of today.
That is an incredible song. The imagery of the dad sitting in the dark with his cigarette glowing in the dark ... .

Old 07-26-2014, 04:26 PM

7,800 posts, read 4,398,802 times
If one were to write about the music of the 70s, then Carly Simon would figure prominently in that book. "Your so Vain" is still discussed as to who she was referring to. She has a distinctive voice and sound. I hope she is still touring; would love to see her.

Old 07-26-2014, 05:00 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioSilence View Post
One of the all time totally fantastic songs wonderfully done by Miss. Simon.

Co-written with Jacob Brackman, CS captures the fears if not total panic many young suburban post war girls felt about marriage.

Born in the great age of domesticity (post war late 1940's through 1950's) these girls came of age during the *swinging* 1960's when it seemed the USA was going to tear itself apart over social issues. You had the Civil Rights and Women's Liberation movements totally upending almost everything persons knew about accepted roles in society.

Unlike their mothers who largely went to college to obtain their "Mrs." degree and or perhaps work a few years in many of the pink collar ghetto sectors until marriage, girls like those in Carly Simon's song were hearing a different message. This was that there was more to life than just becoming Her Indoors and retiring from the world to live in the defined and confined roles of Kinder, Küche, Kirche .

Anyone who grew up in suburbia during the 1960's and 1970's (as one did) knows the setting well. The father and mother seem to inhabit totally different worlds. In the song's case he is downstairs having a cigarette (in the dark) whilst she is upstairs in bed reading a magazine. While not a total implication of a loveless marriage it speaks to persons who did so because one or both felt "that was the way it was supposed to be". Females in particular had a very short shelf life back then. It seems odd today but one was considered spinster material if not married by twenty-five. Certainly by age thirty a woman's prospects fell off a cliff on average. In such situations one married for a whole host of other reasons than *love*. Well not at least for the constant "catch me kiss me, kiss me catch me", that many today seem to believe marriage is about.

Ms. Simon's character can find little solace in looking at the marriages of her girlfriends from college. They seemed to have followed their mother's examples and settled into comfortable suburban marriages of the period. For anyone that knew the 1970's this could include everything from adultery (think the Graduate), endless cocktail parties, the endless pursuit of "happiness" by climbing the social and economic ladder, and of course pills and booze. Everything the children of the 1960's in most cases were rebelling against.

Today of course when married persons divorce with ease and often frequently many wonder just what was the problem? Well the 1970's world was still pretty much a man's. In many parts of the United States "man and wife" meant just that. He was often legally and by custom the voice of the household and everything came though his hands. Most married women didn't work, more so in the middle and upper reaches of society. So unless the woman had some sort of independent income she was totally dependent upon her husband. Credit cards, bank accounts, the mortgage, the house, etc... all even when jointly held "belonged" to the one who was paying the bills. Wives like the mother in this song were essentially trapped in marriages no matter how loveless or otherwise bad they were. Sure she *could* get a divorce but it would likely plunge her into poverty. Divorcée to many was a dirty French word for a woman who couldn't hang onto her husband so watch her around yours.

Indeed the whole premise of "That is the way I've always heard it should be" is that the boyfriend/man has decided it is time for the couple to marry. Miss. Simon knows it is what she is supposed to want and that it is what her family and society expects her to do. But like one said back then marriage was not something one left easily, so for many reasons persons remained.

Old 07-26-2014, 05:10 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Lawdy, I sure do hate it when favorite performers of mine get written about in the past tense, as if they were dead.

She IS talented enough that she was a featured artist at the ASCAP event at the Library of Congress in May, along with other great composer/performers from that era who are ALSO still alive, like Randy Newman and Jimmy Webb.

Here's her website if you want to check on her event calendar. Carly Simon Official Website - News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music