Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2008, 06:07 PM

18,216 posts, read 25,854,577 times

Advertisements

Musicfreak makes a good point on post#71. In the early '70's FM radio covered "Climbing" and "Nantucket Sleighride" thoroughly as they were solid LP's, went RIAA gold. All you here is Mississippi Queen on the oldies stations now. I've already blown my stack on the subject of dj playlists so will not comment on that. Mountain is still active now, put out a cd a couple years ago. The guy I miss is Felix Pappalardi, who was killed in '81, I believe. Speaking of Leslie West, there was a good story/interview on him featured in Goldmine magazine a few months ago. On the hobby front, their stuff still sells well 39 years after the group started. You don't see clean copies of their stuff anymore- same for Leslie's solo stuff and the 3 West, Bruce, and Laing efforts in the early '70's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 06:12 PM

631 posts, read 1,886,153 times
Janes Addiction

Old 07-07-2008, 08:26 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_eyedgirl View Post
Janes Addiction
Jane's Addiction went double-platinum, twice. How much more recognition do you want them to have?

Old 07-07-2008, 11:26 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,934,948 times
I think Sweet is a good choice for this thread. Ball Room Blitz can be heard in a dozen films. Here's the track list from the US version of Desolation Boulevard. One of my all time faves. I think this album, alone, should tell ya exactly what you need to know about this band. They were exciting. Looked great. Looked stupid. Played loud. And kept their sh|t together back in '74.

1. "Ballroom Blitz" (Chapman, Chinn) – 4:06
2. "The Six Teens" (Chapman, Chinn) – 4:05
3. "No You Don't" (Chapman, Chinn) – 4:36
4. "A.C.D.C." (Chapman, Chinn) – 3:28
5. "I Wanna Be Committed" (Chapman, Chinn) – 3:13 (original length 4:04)
6. "Sweet F.A." (Scott, Tucker, Connolly, Priest) – 6:15
7. "Fox On The Run (7" version) (Scott, Tucker, Connolly, Priest) – 3:27
8. "Set Me Free" (Scott) – 3:59
9. "Into The Night" (Scott) – 4:25
10. "Solid Gold Brass" (Scott, Tucker, Connolly, Priest) – 5:35 (with guitar overdub)

Guitar solo alone worth the price of admission...

YouTube - The Sweet - Set Me Free

Old 07-08-2008, 12:08 AM

2,600 posts, read 3,685,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
I agree with the first part; they were huge stars for a while.

I don't quite get the "cutting edge" part: Their general sound was new (and good, imo) but I always thought it was their overarching dullness that was their downfall.
Have you ever listened to anything beyond the "Doubt" album? There's so much more to them than that.

I don't know how a record gets released and becomes popular, but I know fame was NOT something Mike Edwards really wanted.

I highly recommend giving the album "Already" a listen. Really good stuff on that one!

Last edited by ShinyHappyLucy; 07-08-2008 at 12:09 AM.. Reason: Had to add something.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:47 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,384,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
While Doubt featured some slow, almost ballad-like tunes, much of it, and almost all of Liquidizer, was way too upspeed and enthusiastic to be considered anything close to dull.
I have a lot of fast, upbeat music that bores me to tears.
But I don't own any JJ anymore. Honestly, I don't even remember specific songs (besides the hits, er, hit?), but I do remember that at the height of my interest in the band I found most of the songs dull - that's why my listened waned and I ended up ignoring them pretty quickly. I think I gave Liquidizer a listen but I don't remember it. My tastes had already moved on - really, the band is a distant memory for me. I'll take your word on the quality of Liquidizer, but I doubt I'll give it another shot.

EDIT: I just realized that Liquidizer came first. I have a vague memory of liking that one better than Doubt, although I was definitely one of the many who was onboard for "Right Here, Right Now" and whatever ther big ones were on that album...

Last edited by b. frank; 07-08-2008 at 10:56 AM..

Old 07-08-2008, 10:49 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,384,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Content_Christian View Post
I don't know how a record gets released and becomes popular, but I know fame was NOT something Mike Edwards really wanted.
In that case, it looks like Mr. Edwards got his wish.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:23 PM
Jev

64 posts, read 253,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
I think Sweet is a good choice for this thread. Ball Room Blitz can be heard in a dozen films. Here's the track list from the US version of Desolation Boulevard. One of my all time faves. I think this album, alone, should tell ya exactly what you need to know about this band. They were exciting. Looked great. Looked stupid. Played loud. And kept their sh|t together back in '74.

1. "Ballroom Blitz" (Chapman, Chinn) – 4:06
2. "The Six Teens" (Chapman, Chinn) – 4:05
3. "No You Don't" (Chapman, Chinn) – 4:36
4. "A.C.D.C." (Chapman, Chinn) – 3:28
5. "I Wanna Be Committed" (Chapman, Chinn) – 3:13 (original length 4:04)
6. "Sweet F.A." (Scott, Tucker, Connolly, Priest) – 6:15
7. "Fox On The Run (7" version) (Scott, Tucker, Connolly, Priest) – 3:27
8. "Set Me Free" (Scott) – 3:59
9. "Into The Night" (Scott) – 4:25
10. "Solid Gold Brass" (Scott, Tucker, Connolly, Priest) – 5:35 (with guitar overdub)

Guitar solo alone worth the price of admission...

YouTube - The Sweet - Set Me Free
Sweet was brilliant. They made some great, trashy (in a good way) pop singles in their early days. Along with Roxy, I guess a lot of people felt threatened by the whole glam thing in the early 70s, probably because of the way they dressed and portrayed themselves. But Sweet left the glam thing behind, took a harder approach and influenced a lot of 80s metal bands such as Def Leppard and others. Also Joan Jett and other pop-punk bands were influenced by Sweet.

Then with Level Headed they took on art rock and gave it a kick. Truly influential band.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:32 PM
Jev

64 posts, read 253,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I like how you presume I haven't "tried" early Roxy music. I have. I still can't stand them, no matter who they influenced.
I think a lot of Americans couldn't take to Roxy because of their aspirations to high art. Also, Bryan Ferry's voice is weird and has a strange quiver. It's an acquired taste, but one I've acquired quite well. I didn't discover them until about 1992 but now they are my #1 favorite band

Old 07-09-2008, 11:17 AM

810 posts, read 2,292,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_eyedgirl View Post
Janes Addiction
Thier problem was they broke up. I saw them live at a sold out Madison Square Garden, does't get much better than that. Too bad they couldn't keep it together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music