U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 07:03 PM

1,356 posts, read 5,120,760 times

Advertisements

Who is it? When I think of the great bands, I think of British bands (The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, U2, The Rolling Stones...). Don't give me an obscure band that only you like, I am interested in a rock band that we have all heard of!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 09:08 PM

5,498 posts, read 11,541,898 times
Well, for my money I think it's Steely Dan. But then, most folks wouldn't consider them rock; Pop & light jazz yes, but rock - not really. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm thinking that you are looking for someone you can really blast to enjoy. Someone like an early Aerosmith. You could take 5 or 6 tracks from most of their 70's albums and label them as classics. Not many bands, though, remained in their prime for more than a few years. So I guess most of their later material should be thankfully discounted. The Doors started on top and went out the same way so they should get credit for that - same for CCR, Jimi Hendrix and the less widely-known MC5.

I dunno how this thread is gonna go from here, but there isn't a decade that's gone by since the 60s without Neil Young playin' something mean and hard - and good.

So I'm going with Neil on this one.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:33 PM

13,250 posts, read 17,937,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
... but there isn't a decade that's gone by since the 60s without Neil Young playin' something mean and hard - and good.

So I'm going with Neil on this one.
Neil Young is Canadian. So you'll have to quantify him as the Greatest NORTH AMERICAN rocker.

If the original poster really meant rock "bank," then the winner is Elvis Presley. There is no other contender. Biggest money-making rocker, bar none.

If that was a typo that was supposed to be "band," then the correct answer is of course THE RAMONES.

But if we can include solo artists, then the correct answer is Bob Dylan.

All in all, honorable mention should go to Elvis, Aerosmith, the Eagles, R.E.M., and Creedence Clearwater Revival. If we can indeed include Canadians, then we must include both Neil Young and the Band.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:45 PM

11,447 posts, read 13,182,249 times
The Doors
Velvet Underground
The Stooges

Old 12-26-2007, 10:47 PM

2,257 posts, read 3,324,049 times
Blue Oyster Cult. Below is a youtube link to a BOC song called Astonomy. While it wasnt one of their major hits it is the quniessential BOC Rocker. It starts with a slow and melodic lyric and evloves into a winding and rollicking guitar solo putting on display the world class abilities of one of the most underrated guitarist in rock & roll, Donald (Buck Dharma) Roser

This is live footage from the 70s and it takes a minute for the sound engineers to tweak it in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5V7KP...0oyster%20cult

Old 12-26-2007, 10:57 PM

5,498 posts, read 11,541,898 times
I knew that Neil's Canadian citizenship would be subject to question, but he's lived in the states since the 60s. I don't think of his music as Canadian, but perhaps some do.

Last edited by square peg; 12-26-2007 at 11:07 PM..

Old 12-26-2007, 11:37 PM

1,356 posts, read 5,120,760 times
I purposely didn't mention any bands when I started this thread. And yes, I meant band, not bank. Sorry for the typo... Great responses so far!

CCR -great suggestion, I didn't think of that one.

The Beach Boys - maybe. Certainly one of the most influential but that is a different thread.

The Eagles - great band. After listening to the Greatest Hits Vol I they would get my vote. After Greatest Hits Vol II I would have to rethink that. They went really soft in my opinion.

Boston - they have the best selling debut album of all time. No one rocked the 70s better.

Aerosmith - should get some votes.

Pearl Jam - might deserve some too.

Van Halen - what more can I say?

The Grateful Dead - still popular but maybe more influential than "great" (maybe that is splitting hairs)

Hall & Oates - if a duo is a band then they deserve some consideration too.

Guns N Roses - if they had stayed together they would have been up there too.

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - sure have had a lot of hits over a long period of time. Fantastic greatest hits album, not great album (except Full Moon Fever, one of the all-time greats IMO).

Maybe we should do another thread for the greatest American solo artist of all time. It seems like our solo artists have more staying power than our bands. I find it interesting that there is no clear cut single greatest American band.

Old 12-27-2007, 01:41 AM

1,906 posts, read 5,502,144 times
Default Rock

I say Aerosmith & Boston.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:06 AM

13,363 posts, read 38,771,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niners fan View Post
!

The Eagles - great band. After listening to the Greatest Hits Vol I they would get my vote. After Greatest Hits Vol II I would have to rethink that. They went really soft in my opinion.
Agreed.

I like the choices you and others have mentioned:
CCR, Grateful Dead, Doors, Beach boys,Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers...
I especially have a fondness for John C. Fogerty and Creedence Clearwater.
I appreciate his songwriting skills, and love his voice.

It's difficult to sort out what's greatest, because on one hand you have great, influential bands that don't exist anymore, and other bands that still do exist but have weakened.

When it comes to American music, it seems to me that funk should come into it at some point. Sly and the Family Stone led the way.
The Red Hot Chili Peppers cover a lot of styles, including funk.
Another offshoot: The Roots. And Outkast.

Others--Crosby Stills Nash and Young (yes, one is a Brit, one is a Canadian) Fleetwood Mac (yes Mick Fleetwood is a Brit) the Ramones, Green Day, Pearl Jam, REM (I never was a huge REM fan though) Wilco. The Flaming Lips.

The White Stripes are consistently great--quite innovative--but fairly new.

Should the greatest American band be a *seminal* group that stands the test of time, a band that still creates relevant, inspiring music, and still plays live to this day?
If that is the criteria, I'd go with:
Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band
Iggy and the Stooges.

But if I was choosing from my heart, I too without question would go with Neil Young and Crazy Horse.
Neil's been paying taxes in the States for a long time now.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:12 AM

8,262 posts, read 15,287,287 times
Greatest is such a subjective word.
Pure kicka** rock-Grand Funk Railroad.Although i do love squarepegs suggestion of that other band from Michigan;MC5 [kick out the jams brothers and sisters!]
Pure talent-CHICAGO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music