Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 08:20 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Gene Simmons is the Rush Limbaugh of rock.

Who will write the next Stairway to Heaven? That's a silly question to use as evidence that rock died in the '90s. Nobody wrote another Stairway to Heaven even when rock was supposedly in its prime, so why should any current or future band be expected to?

Rock needs to be rebellious and crass? Stairway to Heaven is neither rebellious nor crass. So, the OP is using a song that doesn't even meet his own criteria as evidence that rock is dead.

Sorry, I think rock music should be rebellious and be able to make you think take you to new places, hence the Stairway To Heaven remark. Say what you want about Kiss & Gene Simmons they were not the greatest band they put on one hell of a show. These days I hear lesser bands making remakes of song that they clearly do not have the talent to do. Just last week I hear some idiot do a Queen song! It was terrible they added bass & the guy ( I forget who) should be embarrassed. Again maybe its an age thing here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 08:27 AM

8,044 posts, read 10,635,981 times
The youth of today are too busy staring into their phone screens to bother with working on music. The people that produced all that great "classic" rock, didn't have a whole lot more to do growing up. Picking up an instrument and practicing, writing songs, etc., for hours on end, working up songs in the garage, that's what produced all that great talent. Also, today's music sounds very juvenile - like it's being produced for the 9 - 15 year old crowd.

Old 10-17-2014, 08:38 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
The youth of today are too busy staring into their phone screens to bother with working on music. The people that produced all that great "classic" rock, didn't have a whole lot more to do growing up. Picking up an instrument and practicing, writing songs, etc., for hours on end, working up songs in the garage, that's what produced all that great talent. Also, today's music sounds very juvenile - like it's being produced for the 9 - 15 year old crowd.

Agreed everything is digital these days even the music.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:49 AM

4,529 posts, read 5,138,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post

Try looking beyond radio or mainstream music. There is tons of great stuff out there.

Old 10-17-2014, 05:38 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,626,581 times
I never really got into Kiss. I'm younger, but I have always loved 70's rock... They aren't rock to me. Rock and Roll All Night has to be the cheesiest song I have ever heard. Absolutely ridiculous.
Gene Simmons commenting on current rock music is like getting dating advice from Jeffrey Dahmer.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:04 PM

1,149 posts, read 1,591,523 times
I agree rock is dead. There are good bands out there, but too often people cite metal bands as rock bands. For me, rock needs a strong lead guitarist. Not in every case but usually they need actually guitar MUSIC to really make a rock song move. And by good guitarist I don't mean a guy who can play a billion notes a second, but someone who can CRAFT music and make the guitar sing. Most good rock bands have a lead vocalist and a lead guitarist that is a singer in and of itself. They work off each other, instead of one being buried in the background. Instead, it's all bass, catchy beats and a whining or screaming singer. Certainly very little on the radio is rock, and most indie bands strike me as simply harder edged pop.

I really, really, really miss the days of a great lead guitarist.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:06 PM

1,149 posts, read 1,591,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I believe that's the key. The woman I am dating has two teenagers. Most of what they listen to is electronic no one really plays an instrument for all I know said person could be lip singing. I hear re-makes of songs that have bass to them to the point you can't hardly hear them. I believe if you take away the bass & the electronics, you'll be disappointed with what's left. We're still missing the rebellion aspect of rock. It's not gritty or angry. Anyone remember the cover of one of Johnny Cash's record?
He's giving the bird. Let someone try to get away with that these days. Maybe it's I'm getting old too.
Pushing mid 40's & all.

As far has Gene Simmons goes, didn't Kiss break up in 83?
I don't think rock has to be angry or rebellious, though it's nice. A lot of great rock wasn't (Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Seger, etc.)

Old 10-17-2014, 07:11 PM

80 posts, read 99,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
I have a hard time giving Gene Simmons any authority to talk about rock and roll. 1983? He can kiss my ass - the Replacements hadn't even released Let It Be or Tim by then.

Rock is alive. You just need to know where to look for some great stuff. And sometimes
the most interesting and innovative music isn't readily classified.

LMFAO.

You're trying to hard to prove Gene wrong.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:25 PM

15,145 posts, read 14,329,825 times
Most of today's rock sounds tired to me. Now you may tell me that there are up and coming rock bands today who have singers who have presence and power. I reserve the right not to believe you. Rock exists to make you feel. Long Live Rock, and it will as long as you keep looking for it.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:51 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,626,581 times
Give this song a listen... It's like old west meets hard rock. Love this band but they are no more

Fair to Midland- Amarillo Sleeps on My Pillow- Lyrics - dodd - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music