Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 06:57 PM

4,527 posts, read 5,114,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbkr5 View Post
Just whatever you do, NEVER accept any opinion from a hip hop fan. They combine stupidity, ignorance, bias, and all other immature crap they throw in.
That is certainly a sweeping generalization. I would say you exhibited those very same things in this post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 11:56 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,667,767 times
I'm out there and yea, it's on life support that's for sure. Slipped into a coma during the 90's when those craptastic bands like Creed, Nickelback, Daughtry, etc all burst on to the scene. Problem is, radio music is marketed to pre-teen and teen girls. That's why we have all this Bieber, One Direction, and Megan Traynor garbage on the radio. Drivel lyrics, repeative and often sampled beats. This crap is written by marketing execs who have figured out the formula to get in these kids heads and make them want more. There is a large faction of adults who hate it, but since they are too lazy to support local music, they can't break through. I hear my peers complaining about music on the radio, but instead of going out and watching a live band on weekends, they sit on their couches watching netflix. Meanwhile, these teens are dragging their moms or bff's to Katy Perry Concerts and spending money on their music in some form or fashion. Until those who like rock music step up, rock music will continue to sit on life support in the ICU.

Old 12-03-2014, 12:22 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,316,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
I'm out there and yea, it's on life support that's for sure. Slipped into a coma during the 90's when those craptastic bands like Creed, Nickelback, Daughtry, etc all burst on to the scene. Problem is, radio music is marketed to pre-teen and teen girls. That's why we have all this Bieber, One Direction, and Megan Traynor garbage on the radio. Drivel lyrics, repeative and often sampled beats. This crap is written by marketing execs who have figured out the formula to get in these kids heads and make them want more. There is a large faction of adults who hate it, but since they are too lazy to support local music, they can't break through. I hear my peers complaining about music on the radio, but instead of going out and watching a live band on weekends, they sit on their couches watching netflix. Meanwhile, these teens are dragging their moms or bff's to Katy Perry Concerts and spending money on their music in some form or fashion. Until those who like rock music step up, rock music will continue to sit on life support in the ICU.
Are we referring to a particular sub genre of rock or something here? I don't think rock is on life support at all. Maybe you can enlighten me...

Old 12-03-2014, 01:49 PM

4,527 posts, read 5,114,880 times
All GREAT rock songs from...............2014!!!!

Stop being complacent!!! There is great new music out there and these bands need support!!!

And this ain't no pansy BS these songs have teeth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQsry2dnC1k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrZxt476ef4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruJReSx_2uM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2JZgXchjwo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhgVu2lsi_k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shKgunX4an8

Old 12-03-2014, 07:45 PM

1,101 posts, read 1,209,194 times
This video may answer to the question "Is rock music dead for good?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMx8e_89NQk

Old 12-04-2014, 02:46 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,747,628 times
The problem is that it is hardly on the charts now and if it is, it is mostly pop rock. Seriously Maroon 5, Five Seconds of Summer, American Authors and Imagine Dragons are the only "rock" groups on the mainstream charts like the hot 100 or pop top 40. You look at the rock charts and see Green Day was the last REAL rock act to number 1 the billboard rock charts. The billboard mainstream rock chart is better but still it isn't as popular as it was say 8/10 years ago when you had pop punk and emo in the mainstream. Now it's all indie. Don't get me wrong, indie is good but there's hardly any new straight hard rock besides Halestorm now (The Pretty Wreckless don't count.)

Old 12-04-2014, 06:05 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,356,587 times
Alt Rock seems to be fading but Indie Rock is getting bigger by the day. There's a wide range of styles within the Indie label but some bands are heavier and more towards the rock end. Most younger don't even listen to "mainstream" fm radio so it's a bad judge for what's popular. Tune In / IHeart smart phone stations and you tube are how the new generation listens to music

Old 12-04-2014, 07:07 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,747,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Alt Rock seems to be fading but Indie Rock is getting bigger by the day. There's a wide range of styles within the Indie label but some bands are heavier and more towards the rock end. Most younger don't even listen to "mainstream" fm radio so it's a bad judge for what's popular. Tune In / IHeart smart phone stations and you tube are how the new generation listens to music
The thing is indie rock includes Lorde who is not even rock in style or sound. Neither are the indie folk groups like Mumford & Sons or The Civil Wars who are included in the indie rock banner. By comparison Imagine Dragons are some-what rock while the Black Keys are indeed rock. I'm not trying to be closed but most acts topping the billboard rock charts.

Old 12-05-2014, 04:31 PM

3,497 posts, read 3,704,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I use Pandora, and at least so far my rock station on there is not yielding any new results in rock. I would've expected by now to come across some newer stuff, but it is simply just not there. I'm open to new stuff too, so it's not that I am not wanting it to be there. Certainly, it could still be a matter of location, for which it is a location I have not yet come across. I don't even think the [listenable] underground is even there. Indie rock just won't cut it for me.

The more interesting question to me is why isn't it there?

Old 12-05-2014, 04:37 PM

14,771 posts, read 17,047,438 times
royal blood

Dave Grohl reckons Royal Blood will save rock 'n' roll
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music