U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 05:40 AM

2,896 posts, read 6,025,991 times

Advertisements

http://tinyurl.com/275vks (broken link)

....fess up, how many have music on their puters that they copied from a CD? Ummm just about everyone on da planet! Gonna be interesting to see how this plays out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 06:01 AM

17,835 posts, read 29,966,017 times
I read the article
The guy that was sued because he had transfered 2,000 of his CDs to his computer had to of done some kind of "file sharing" in order to of been caught.

lol anyone remember back in the day when you would use a tape recorder to record your favorite song from the radio or to have a tape to play at a party. Most times you missed the first couple words while you tried to avoid recording the DJ announcing the song.

Old 12-31-2007, 06:57 AM

3,589 posts, read 3,168,126 times
Pfffft, the RIAA is just shooting itself in the foot more. They're ridiculous and a laughingstock. I'll tell you how this'll play out: legal to rip to your own 'puter, illegal to share.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:11 AM

from what someone told me it's the folks that are uploading the stuff that are more in risk of getting caught.

Old 12-31-2007, 02:24 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,160,016 times
Default Okay I don't get this

If I pay to buy a CD, then transfer it to my own property (my laptop) for my listening pleasure . . . then how the heck can that be illegal? Things need to redefined if copying my own purchased music onto my laptop (or Ipod, for that matter) is illegal. I copy my CDs to my laptop, then to my Ipod. How can that be illegal?????

I do graphics work, and I pay the vendor for the rights to use that piece of artwork. How could that be any different than my paying for a CD, then using it on various of my own electronic equipment? I do not get this. That is totally absurd.

What did I miss about this story?

Old 01-01-2008, 12:45 AM

46 posts, read 141,427 times
It's ok to copy for you own personal use. It is not ok to share it or upload it to a million of your closets friend though.

Old 01-02-2008, 02:31 AM

9,955 posts, read 22,178,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doily View Post
It's ok to copy for you own personal use. It is not ok to share it or upload it to a million of your closets friend though.
Thats a heck of a lot of 'closest friends."

Old 01-02-2008, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Thats a heck of a lot of 'closest friends."
lol I was thinking the same thing

Old 01-02-2008, 03:47 PM

3,350 posts, read 5,953,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doily View Post
But the RIAA is actually trying to say it's NOT ok for you to copy for your own personal use. That's how insane and desperate they've become.

Old 01-02-2008, 03:51 PM

3,350 posts, read 5,953,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
Pfffft, the RIAA is just shooting itself in the foot more. They're ridiculous and a laughingstock. I'll tell you how this'll play out: legal to rip to your own 'puter, illegal to share.
Yep, because what the RIAA is proposing will NEVER stand up in court. Taking this to its logical conclusion, the government would have to ban the sale of all blank media -- CDs, cassettes, videotapes, everything -- since they provide the means by which somebody COULD make an illegal copy. And the courts ruled years ago that making recordings of programs on your VCR for personal use was perfectly legal. The RIAA is just desperately flailing around for something to latch onto. They are today what the buggy-whip industry must have been like when Henry Ford got his cars rolling -- doomed to become obsolete, but doing every ridiculous thing it can think of to stay alive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or