Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 10:37 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,006,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorless View Post
You can play it - the argument is that you cannot convert it. And there seems to be precedents in other contexts that may support this argument.

HOWEVER, it seems to me that it's already been declared legal to make a cassette backup of a vinyl or CD, so it should stand that a digital copy (of any type) may be made.

I think the focus is going to turn towards where you store that file (shared folders), and whether or not it can be accessed by anyone but yourself.
Thanks for this clarification, Anchorless.
I guess we'll just see how it all shakes out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 12:28 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,980,794 times
FYI, there is an almost identical thread on the Tech forum, with some interesting stuff on it. Check it out.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:57 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,259,284 times
I will check it out!

For the record, I cannot play it on my computer. I bought it. Had a subscription that allowed me to transfer it. Plus I bought it.

Now that the company no longer exists, I cannot play the music that I legally bought on my computer.

This can't be legal.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:37 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,381,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I will check it out!

For the record, I cannot play it on my computer. I bought it. Had a subscription that allowed me to transfer it. Plus I bought it.

Now that the company no longer exists, I cannot play the music that I legally bought on my computer.

This can't be legal.
If the company that you paid for service went out of business, then it is not a matter of legality.
Other companies cannot be legally forced to allow you to play music that you bought from Urge. Why should they? You have the option of suing Urge - but I doubt that's worth what you paid for your MP3s.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:56 AM

No other company is being forced to play my music. It is on my personal computer but I can no longer play it.

Something comes up that says I no longer have rights. When I get home, I'll write exactly what it says.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:12 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,381,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
No other company is being forced to play my music. It is on my personal computer but I can no longer play it.

Something comes up that says I no longer have rights. When I get home, I'll write exactly what it says.
Your problem is that you bought a product from a company that went out of business. Since they are out of business, they can't give you the support you need to be able to play your MP3s. I've never heard of Urge, so I don't know any particulars. But you said that you didn't think that what is happening to you is legal. It probably is. When you buy something from a company that goes belly-up, there is not much recourse.
I don't know why Window Media Player won't play the MP3s, but if they can't because of some kind of encoding that Urge put on them, then they don't have to fix your problem.
Now were getting into techy stuff that I don't fully understand, though.
Unless Urge did something really weird to those MP3s they sold you, then there probably is a way (hopefully free) to get access to them.
Good luck.

Old 01-07-2008, 05:12 PM

Urge was part of MTV Media Networks.

It says it has a Media Usage Rights Acquisition and I don't have a subscription. Well, duh, they went out of business. What they did was transferred all their subscriptions to Rhapsody and I refused, but I BOUGHT those songs. I had a subscription for a year.

There has to be a way to play them, but I can't figure out how!

Old 01-07-2008, 06:16 PM

1,011 posts, read 3,093,778 times
It's still not clear to me whether you paid to download those songs (ala iTunes), or if you simply subscribed to stream those songs.

What file format are they?

Old 01-08-2008, 02:26 AM

I paid for the subscription, $14.99 a month, and also paid to download each song that I purchased for 99 cents each. How would I find out what kind of file it is?

Okay. I found it. It's a "wma" file. Some say I have rights and others do not, but no mention of this when I was purchasing the songs. I am positive of this. I bought a lot of songs in one year.

Last edited by hiknapster; 01-08-2008 at 02:38 AM..

Old 01-30-2008, 07:10 AM

3,531 posts, read 2,593,589 times
European Court Decides FileSharers Should Stay Anonymous
European file-sharers were given a huge legal boost today, as the European Court of Justice declared that EU law does not allow Internet Service Providers to be forced to reveal the personal details of people accused of file sharing.

Music industry rebuffed across Europe on file-sharing identifications | The Register

Moderator cut: article - see link

Last edited by christina0001; 01-31-2008 at 04:55 PM.. Reason: copyrighted article removed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music