Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 10:46 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,025,188 times

Advertisements

You're Gonna Lose That Girl - I love John's voice on this. The harmonies are simple but awesome. The lyrics are simple yet there is something different than other pop love songs

She Said, She Said - The bridge in 3/4 time and the verses in 4/4 is cool. The lyrics are unique. This is Ringo's best song for drums. I like how the guitar echoes the melody.

And Your Bird Can Sing - The lyrics are original. The harmonies rock. This song just moves, no pause from verse to chorus to solo, like most Beatles songs do. The guitar layers are great. I have to believe this inspired groups like Boston and Queensryche.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 12:21 AM

1,744 posts, read 7,258,342 times
Happiness (Is A Warm Gun). Man, I love this song!

I Saw Her Standing There. Classic textbook rock n' roll.

Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds. I dig the pysch sound to it and interesting lyrics.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:34 AM

5,793 posts, read 13,930,887 times
One thing that comes to mind for me is their harmonies. Nowhere Man, Because, and I Feel Fine are good examples. There are so many more. The Beach Boys harmonies, too, were standout, and maybe due to being 3 brothers and a cousin their voices seemed to have a smoother meld, but they really didn't have anything on the Beatles when it came to vocal accuracy.

But the three songs that I want to hear right now by them would be:

Tomorrow Never Knows - There's just so much going on in a song that has a one pitch drone. And lyrically, I just flat out love it. How many bands based their career on this sound?

I Am The Walrus - Implausible for 1967. Flat out enjoyable and the orchestra's infinite ascending and descending chords at the closing are nothing short of a masterpiece. So powerful.

Let It Be - Everyone and their brother knew this was to be the end for the band. Such a graceful way to leave the stage. Ironically, it was released after Abbey Road, which was recorded almost a year earlier. This song came out my senior year in high school and sort of signaled that it was time to look back for just a moment and that they'd really done all they could.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:11 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,660,754 times
Oh, man, only three? That's a tough call!

1. Hey Jude -- that's the only one I'm sure about. Gorgeous melody, and that coda could go on forever ... I just find myself hypnotically swaying along by the end.

2. Something -- the most beautiful thing George Harrison ever wrote. The ending notes give me goose bumps every time.

3. Get Back -- The Beatles had so many great straight-on rock songs, but this one just keeps chugging along like a train, and you can't keep from singing along and tapping your foot.

The rest of my top 10 would be "A Day in the Life," "I Want You (She's So Heavy)," "Come Together," "Helter Skelter," "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da," "Strawberry Fields Forever," and "I Am the Walrus" ... in no particular order.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:59 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
I know this isn't what you're asking, but I love the Beatles' covers of Larry Williams songs: "Slow Down," "Dizzy Miss Lizzy," "Bad Boy," etc.

Also, the entire "Help!" album.

I'm more partial to the early stuff (I got the Capitol Years box sets for Christmas -- aieeeee!), so my top three would be:

"I Saw Her Standing There"
"Things We Said Today"
"What You're Doing"

Old 01-23-2008, 11:13 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
In My Life I've loved them all
Baby Your a Rich Man
You've got to hide your love away.....also like the way Pearl jam does it

and the entire Norwegian Wood album

Old 01-23-2008, 04:35 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,379,501 times
Yesterday (McCartney), Don't Let Me Down (Lennon), Eleanor Rigby (Lennon & McCartney), I Want You [She's So Heavy] (Lennon), While My Guitar Gently Weeps (Harrison)... Gee, that's not fair, only three out of 365. I remember the first song I memorized was a Beatles song (I Wanna Hold Your Hand - 1963). My parents thought their hair was a disgrace, not to mention their near dethroning of The King. 28 albums later (remember vinyl?) every song brings back a memory. This will be a fun thread to re-visit. Thanks

Last edited by ESFP; 01-23-2008 at 04:38 PM.. Reason: change the word four to three (senior moment)

Old 01-23-2008, 06:10 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
Get Back, Saw Her Standing There, Let It Be

Old 01-25-2008, 10:12 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,649,754 times
I Should Have Known Better - just catchy as anything and John's voice sounds great.
Happiness Is A Warm Gun - awesome and mysterious lyrics. Creepy in a good way.
For No One - really really sad an beautiful, like a dead clown,

Old 01-26-2008, 02:51 PM

2,636 posts, read 6,647,632 times
The majority of The Beatles' stuff doesn't really do a whole lot for me but I love Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds because of its brilliantly crafted lyrics and controversial subject matter. I don't advocate drug use or anything but I love the song because instead of being really up front and in your face it's a lot more metaphorical and lays everything out for you to interpret in your own way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music