Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 06:53 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,933,291 times

Advertisements

"The accordion is single-handedly degrading musical culture across America."--The New York Herald, December 1, 1910.

(I'm afraid that is entirely fictitious, but I bet a similar quote could be found.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 07:13 PM

25,554 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
Shouldn't you be outside making sure the neighborhood kids aren't on your lawn? Music changes, and you either adapt or become a grumpy cynical person. Or you could just chose to ignore it and move on with your life.
....Music has been recorded for a long time, now, and we've about reached the end of what sounds melodious. No one has to "adapt or become grumpy". Tell that to Michael Buble.

Old 12-02-2015, 12:31 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,318,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Too many singers, not enough bands.

Singers achieve cult status, guitar players (let alone bass or drum players) remain obscure. Who knows who plays guitar for Taylor Swift? Adele? Beyonce? For that matter, quick, who is the guitarist in the bands Winery Dogs? Evanescence? Rival Sons?
I can´t name any musician in any band I don´t listen to, whether they were active in 1965 or 2015.

Old 12-02-2015, 06:19 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeliber View Post
What is going on

So everywhere you go they're bashing this horrible music into your skull
People singing passionately about, what .. exactly?

And it sounds like cats being murdered

I can't even give an example -- trying to push it out from my mind -- I guess Adele and Swift and the rest of them -- Maroon 5
Shut the h up already and play some of that good music that used to play

I AGREE.
I feel like where ever I am, I am forced to have to listen to constant noise. At the gym, thank God for earphones, noise, its all noise.

I dont think the music out there is that great, maybe im old.......but none the less, it all sounds like noise to me.

I listen to Adele, and she does have a nice voice, but damm, couldnt even finish "hello", had to turn it off, I was bored to tears.
Riahanna, beyonce, please, horrible singers.

years ago a singer didnt have to be a knock out, or be able to dance all over the place and perform, all they had to do was sing. thats it, sing.

is this how our parents felt when we were younger???

Old 12-02-2015, 10:07 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,613,818 times
Rihanna makes "music" (I can't help but bookend that with quotes) that is nothing short of abominable. Her lyrics range from trite to downright awful. The instrumentation is nothing special.

She "covered" (again, with quotes) Sheila E's "The Glamorous Life." Now, that particular song isn't in my wheelhouse, but I respect Sheila Escovedo as a musician and composer. Sheila's father is Pete Escovedo. Sheila played on many albums before she embarked on a successful solo career. Among her credits was playing with George Duke, and like Frank Zappa wouldn't take just anybody in his band (Duke was in there), George wouldn't have just anybody playing with him.

So back to Rihanna: her cover of Sheila's hit is atrocious. She also attempted to play a percussion solo à la Sheila during a concert (the footage is preserved on YouTube, haha), and she sucked so badly, even George Costanza air drummed on his desk better. Rihanna tried to kick it up a notch by licking her sticks before tossing them to the crowd, but the damage was done.

Last edited by AFtrEFkt; 12-02-2015 at 10:17 AM..

Old 12-02-2015, 01:02 PM

52,194 posts, read 52,629,348 times
I think music today is soulless garbage that is churned out without much regard for quality or longevity.

Does that mean all new music sucks, of course not, but the whole recording industry has changed, things are way different now in how music is brought out to the masses, one of the side effects is quick fast turnover and that typically means lower quality. Again, not across the board, but defiantly has an impact.

I actually try hard to find new bands that are good and I got to say, it seems like its getting harder and harder. Some of this again is the way music is brought out to people.

The "pop" music has always sucked, even 30 yrs ago, as it was just corporate churned out stuff that appeals to teenagers, for the most part. Yeah, you have catchy numbers and bouncy tunes, but it's stuff that doesn't have any longevity.

There will always be a new Justin Bieber coming up as there are always a new crop of 12 yr olds coming up, heck just go way way back to Bobby Sherman to see what I'm talking about, you can pretty much see the shelve lives of that type music and the artists themselves.

It is what it is.

Old 12-02-2015, 01:10 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,136,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I actually try hard to find new bands that are good and I got to say, it seems like its getting harder and harder. Some of this again is the way music is brought out to people.

It's not like there are services out there that can tailor a playlist or a radio station to your tastes and play new bands for you according to your tastes.............

You would think in this day and age that new music would be readily at our fingertips. Why is it so damn hard?!!!!

Old 12-02-2015, 04:01 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,933,291 times
Low effort music consumption.

Old 12-02-2015, 06:34 PM

2,913 posts, read 2,442,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Too many singers, not enough bands.

Singers achieve cult status, guitar players (let alone bass or drum players) remain obscure. Who knows who plays guitar for Taylor Swift? Adele? Beyonce? For that matter, quick, who is the guitarist in the bands Winery Dogs? Evanescence? Rival Sons?
Here are several releases from this year by several of my favorite bands:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btnqfqy71Yg

Low has been putting out consistently good stuff for over twenty years. Of course you won't hear them on any radio station. This is one of the best of their career in my opinion.

Here is another:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cy5MiOqarYs

Old 12-02-2015, 07:14 PM

7,682 posts, read 1,270,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
"The accordion is single-handedly degrading musical culture across America."--The New York Herald, December 1, 1910.

(I'm afraid that is entirely fictitious, but I bet a similar quote could be found.)
These guys made the accordion "hip" again....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz2GVlQkn4Q
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music