Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 02:50 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,718,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
As a rock/blues guitarist and musician, to me its obvious that although the name is "Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame", they go beyond only rock to acknowledge and reward those who have had stellar careers and were major influences in all genres of music. From country, to metal, to folk, to rap, to punk, to blues, etc. to even non-performers like producers, managers, record labels, etc.

This is why I chuckle at those like you who say "Get your own hall" or "How is that considered rock?". The Hall is all accepting, and if the board that consists of people who work in the industry (artists, musiciaons, etc.) deem their fellow artist(s) worthy of enshrinement, then those who may only like one type of music, or those who vehemently hate a specific kind of music need to stand down and just accept it.
My answer to that is spoken as the last word in this clip....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRq7Muf6CKg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
I'll get into the prog rockers later as that subject is really touchy with me but will credit where credit's due to the classic rockers here;

When I think of Deep Purple, anymore the first thing I think of was 3 members who left the band to start their own band--Richie Blackmore (Blackmore's Rainbow), Ian Gilian (Ian Gilian band), and David Coverdale (Whitesnake.) I started a thread on these guys a couple years ago, 47 years later I play their stuff pretty much every week. Co-founder and keyboardist Jon Lord passed some time back-sad.

Cheap Trick; it took me a while to warm up to this band but what won me over was the lp "Cheap Trick At Budokan." One of the best lp's from the 1970's-fact!

Chicago; they were always criticized for a "sameness" in their sound, heh, their album covers certainly were the same. But they cranked out an awful lot of hits over 5 decades. Surprisingly to me, my favorite lp of theirs is Chicago V.

Steve Miller Band; It was kind of unfortunate that so much good material came out of 1976's Fly Like An Eagle and 1977's Book of Dreams and then Miller hit a dry run for several years after that. My favorite lp's by Miller remain the first two--Children Of The Future and Sailor. I was surprised when Boz Scaggs left the band after Sailor.

And 4 decades plus later these guys are all still out there rockin"--amazing!
Surprising to me, too!

Prior to Chicago VI, I never cared much for their stuff....with notable exceptions 25 or 6 to 4 and Make Me Smile.

Old 12-18-2015, 12:22 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,063,148 times
Still can't believe the Moody Blues and Yes are not in. And Yes got a lot of votes in that recent poll the powers that be just did, but I guess people's votes don't matter that much.

Old 12-18-2015, 01:37 PM

203 posts, read 199,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Surprising to me, too!

Prior to Chicago VI, I never cared much for their stuff....with notable exceptions 25 or 6 to 4 and Make Me Smile.

Their debut (Chicago Transit Authority) is an amazing album. There are some solid musicianship and clever arrangements throughout the recording. Terry Kath was such an underrated guitarist.

I hope the band's current incarnation can reconcile with Peter Cetera and Danny Seraphine (who is playing better than ever these days with his own band) and perform together at the ceremony.

Old 12-18-2015, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carloslevy View Post
Their debut (Chicago Transit Authority) is an amazing album. There are some solid musicianship and clever arrangements throughout the recording. Terry Kath was such an underrated guitarist.

I hope the band's current incarnation can reconcile with Peter Cetera and Danny Seraphine (who is playing better than ever these days with his own band) and perform together at the ceremony.
I've heard it and there's not a single song on that album that does anything for me.

IMO, they hit their stride with "Just You 'n' Me" and "Feeling Stronger Every Day".

Old 12-18-2015, 03:22 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,473,727 times
Quote:
Any others you feel should be recognized?
Little Feat

Old 12-18-2015, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
Little Feat
Oh yes. That was a TIGHT band. Lowell George, Fred Tackett and Richie Hayward were linchpins of a superb live act. "Fat Man in a Bathtub" is a classic.

Old 12-18-2015, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I've heard it and there's not a single song on that album that does anything for me.

IMO, they hit their stride with "Just You 'n' Me" and "Feeling Stronger Every Day".
Props. That's the beautiful things about timeless artists - different eras appeal to different listeners.
I know where you're coming from - for me the Beatles really started with Rubber Soul and peaked at Abbey Road, and my favorite Zeppelin album in In Through the Out Door.

Old 12-18-2015, 11:24 PM

4,565 posts, read 5,417,700 times
Quote:

Any others you feel should be recognized?
Roy Clark
X

Stevie Ray Vaughn was the most glaring omission for years until they finally inducted him last year.

Old 12-18-2015, 11:46 PM

2,334 posts, read 2,647,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurn350 View Post
Still can't believe the Moody Blues and Yes are not in. And Yes got a lot of votes in that recent poll the powers that be just did, but I guess people's votes don't matter that much.
Totally agree, especially about Yes. Now Tony Banks and Chris Squire are dead, which in itself seems unbelievable.

I think these should be considered in the future:

Tori Amos
Supertramp
Scorpions
Garbage
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music