Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2016, 07:06 PM

51,925 posts, read 52,332,873 times

Advertisements

I've liked heavy metal and hard rock my whole life. I really dig all of it. The only problem I've always sort of had and sometime scoffed and was embarrassed by was some of the themes in metal, the gothic imagery, Satanism and all of the blood and gore stuff. I don't know if I'm explaining right, but I've always dug bands like ACDC and Van Halen for their straight up "fun" vibe they have, yet they have good killer riffs and all of that.

I like Slayer, Metallica, Medgadeth and those groups, but I found some of Slayers stuff to be a bit juvenile at times. Metallica were a little better with political themes and war and stuff like that isn't as corny for a lack of another way of saying it. Some of the Norwegian death metal stuff is just completely over-the-top to me.

Does anyone else find the "horror" side for a lack of another term or the gothic or whatever it is in metal, do you find that stuff to be on the silly side. I'm a middle aged guy, but even as a kid I thought it was kinda stupid.

Thoughts??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2016, 03:19 AM

23,862 posts, read 71,237,351 times
I am a little embarrassed by bands that look like Manowar, also I think some of the sexism is a little disturbing while I usually don´t mind a little sex and nudity.

Old 01-31-2016, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
I am a little embarrassed by bands that look like Manowar, also I think some of the sexism is a little disturbing while I usually don´t mind a little sex and nudity.

I think Manowar puts it on so heavily that maybe they are in on the joke??? I hope so, otherwise, yeah, cheesy candy ass stuff, laughable actually...LOL... I think the sexism is a put on too, just trying to be over the top.

Again, I hope so, it would be a major joke to think that those guys are doing that with a straight face...LOL...

Old 01-31-2016, 04:25 PM

So in the whole music forum me and another guy are the only ones that find some of the lyrics and imagery that heavy metal tries to portray as sometimes being on the corny side?????

Old 02-01-2016, 08:55 AM

23,862 posts, read 71,237,351 times
There is a live video from 1984 with glam metal band Wrathchild where the singer actually starts laughing about the silliness of being a shock rock band.
I think copycat bands like Pretty Boy Floyd and Enuff Z'nuff might be serious though.

Old 02-01-2016, 09:13 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,540,268 times
I never cared for much of it.

Except GWAR. They are so far over the top. When they were starting out back in like 87 or something, a couple of friends and myself followed them around their tour. They came to Florida and we thought they were awesomely ridiculous, and then went to their next 5 shows up the east coast. They were fun guys. I still have their first release on cassette that I bought at that first show.

Other than that I can agree with the idea that they are primarily a joke.

Another one I appreciate is "Alestorm" the Pirate metal band.

Old 02-01-2016, 03:30 PM

251 posts, read 174,660 times
I don't listen to the cheesy "heavy metal".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkFqg5wAuFk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7EQlfprV9E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=a3JSbOt7CLo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUgndoX_pzo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GapQQIB8YEw

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music