U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: VAPORWAVE!!
Interesting 5 71.43%
Not so much 2 28.57%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 04:24 PM

550 posts, read 523,059 times

Advertisements

I just discovered vaporwave, and I'm hooked.

"Vaporwave is a musical micro-genre that emerged in the early 2010s among Internet communities. It is characterized by a nostalgic fascination with retro cultural aesthetics (typically of the 1980s, 1990s, and early-mid 2000s), video games, technology, post-modern Japanese culture, and advertising, and styles of commercial and popular music such as lounge, smooth jazz and elevator music."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporwave

Here is an example. Saint Pepsi's "Private Caller"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki-fATpXa00
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2016, 04:36 PM

3,236 posts, read 4,209,374 times
I LOVE it, except for the obnoxious "Soul" and "Funk" minority male vocals. I hate "Soul" and "Funk", and there's no way to make those less vile.

But as long as the music is generic, and not a Vaporware rendition of a Muzak rendition of some obnoxious Top 40 song, then I think it's WONDERFUL.

DAN BELL is doing some surreal things with Vaporwave, in his tours of DEAD MALLS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_-c...&nohtml5=False You think the music is being recorded there, as he walks through the malls. But actually, it's Vaporwave, which he has added later.

Old 04-09-2016, 04:52 PM

550 posts, read 523,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
I LOVE it, except for the obnoxious "Soul" and "Funk" minority male vocals. I hate "Soul" and "Funk", and there's no way to make those less vile.

Wow. I disagree. Vaporwave is awesome when it incorporates obscure soul and funk grooves. I like mallsoft too.

Here...just for you.

Another great vape track. "You Were On My Mind" by ℍUM♥ℕIGHTM♥RE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTfT...d_4kQ&index=11

Old 04-09-2016, 06:47 PM

2,516 posts, read 2,709,412 times
Just as a passive observer, I see vaporware discussions here and there 'round the Internet. Personally, I'm not much for nostalgia when it comes to new artists making "new" music. To be sure, a television show set in a different time period with a nostalgic focus doesn't bother me at all.

Of the two videos posted, the images/advertising have no overall message, nor do they mesh with the music. If they are supposed to mesh, I'm either missing the message, or it simply doesn't work. Vaporware seems like a genre invented by people who were bored and wanted to create a new genre out of thin air, as a side project by amateur music-lovers incorporating some of their favorite old clips and such. Which is perfectly fine, although to me, the music still sounds like '80s music. But '80s music is already '80s music, so it doesn't need any help.

Like what you like. Not trying to diss the genre outright, and if people are having fun making this type of thing, then cool beans. Just my opinion.

Old 04-09-2016, 06:47 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,325,008 times
Saint Pepsi is Skylar Spence now, I liked this song the best.

Old 04-09-2016, 09:34 PM

3,271 posts, read 5,051,232 times
a lot of it i really don't like. However, there are certain things that have come from it that are great.

One example is George Clanton. His more vaporwave based stuff was just 'ok' to me. But his album last year that veered away from that slightly is absolutely fantastic. It was one of my favorite records last year.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:20 PM

162 posts, read 119,403 times
I went to Yung Lean & Sad boy first concert in the US in NYC. It was so awesome. I can't wait to see them again with Bladee.. When vaporwave first came out I was all about it.. Still am..

Have you checked out Bones yet?

Old 04-10-2016, 09:23 PM

162 posts, read 119,403 times
Actually, Yung Lean is like hip hop with vaporwave influence but not pure vaporwave.. My bad..

Old 04-11-2016, 02:45 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,970,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyCNY View Post
I just discovered vaporwave, and I'm hooked.

"Vaporwave is a musical micro-genre that emerged in the early 2010s among Internet communities. It is characterized by a nostalgic fascination with retro cultural aesthetics (typically of the 1980s, 1990s, and early-mid 2000s), video games, technology, post-modern Japanese culture, and advertising, and styles of commercial and popular music such as lounge, smooth jazz and elevator music."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporwave

Here is an example. Saint Pepsi's "Private Caller"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki-fATpXa00
The song/melody is "Pillow Talk" by Silvia, 1974. Great, sultry number and the best part of this.

I've loved electronic music for decades but it is getting harder to love because of the easy programming and lack of soul/humanity in much of it.

I guess if I can like PC Music and Kero Kero Bonito, I can like some vaporwave but I'm not optimistic.

Old 04-11-2016, 03:09 PM

3,271 posts, read 5,051,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
The song/melody is "Pillow Talk" by Silvia, 1974. Great, sultry number and the best part of this.

I've loved electronic music for decades but it is getting harder to love because of the easy programming and lack of soul/humanity in much of it.

I guess if I can like PC Music and Kero Kero Bonito, I can like some vaporwave but I'm not optimistic.
Have you listened to George Clanton's album 100% Electronica?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or