Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 07:02 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,285,135 times

Advertisements

I love my music, and I very much enjoy concerts. There are several concerts I would have loved to have gone to but just haven't yet. And as a true metalhead, some of these might surprise you. But I always felt a concert was not necessarily just about the music - pomp & circumstance, entertainment, a show. To this day, one of the best concerts I've ever seen was Santana back in the mid 1970's at the Cape Cod Coliseum (long gone), not necessarily the music I listen to, but what a show.
  • Led Zeppelin - I actually had tickets to see them in Montreal back in the 70's, but John Bonham passed away weeks before the concert. I will admit, Get The Led Out is a phenomenal alternative, as I've seen them twice.
  • Metallica - Not sure why I have never gone.
  • Metal Church - Always loved them.
  • Michael Jackson - Just because...he is an icon, and from what I've seen I imagine a live show was awesome.
  • Grip Inc - Not everyone knows this band, but I think it was some of Dave Lombardo's best work, at times even better than his work with Slayer.
  • Bruce Springsteen - I've heard so much about his concerts being epic. Would have liked to have seen for myself.
  • Deep Purple - I was able to see the Black & Blue tour (Black Sabbath w/Dio & Blue Oyster Cult) back in the day, but never saw Deep Purple whom I liked better.
  • Aerosmith - I wouldn't want to see them now, but back in the day I would have.

There are many lesser known metal bands I want to see, and hopefully will when they come close by.

So what shows, when you were actually alive and able to see them, have you just missed thus far in your life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 05:20 PM

18,218 posts, read 25,857,597 times
I'm all over the board regarding musical tastes.

A few individuals I never got to see but would love to have seen them at a show would include Van Morrison, Joni Mitchell, Miles Davis, BB King, there are many, many others and will add to this later.

Got to see Zeppelin three times, the most memorable was their 1972 show at the Denver Coliseum.

Deep Purple. YEP!! Saw them in 1973 with Blackmore, then saw them in January'76 on Purple's "Come Taste The Band" Tour. I had seen Tommy Bolin when Zephyr first formed in Nov. '69. Saw them at a 3.2 club! I knew right away Bolin was going to be one of the greats! He is sadly missed.

Old 07-12-2016, 07:12 PM

3,551 posts, read 2,532,838 times
Sometime in 1981 or 82 I was listening to my favorte FM rock station from Columbus OH, I lived about an hour's drive away. The DJ ran down the bands that were playing that weekend - U2 was going to be at a small venue. I am still kicking myself for not going.

Old 07-17-2016, 07:26 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
I'd have liked to have seen U2 in the early 80s as well.

I'd have liked to have seen the Who, just for the sheer spectacle, both aurally and visually, of their shows.

Would have loved to have seen an early R.E.M. show -- I've seen them a dozen times, but not before 1985.

Old 07-17-2016, 04:56 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
Joe Strummer
When he died in 2002, he was the last act I really wanted to see live. His death closed the door on shows I just had to see.

Bruce Springsteen - in the 1970s
I've seen him, but it would have been great to see one of the latter-70s concerts (I was born in 1969, so I missed out on that chance) of his heydey as a live act.

If I had access to a time machine, I think the first thing I'd do is attend a lot of great shows of bands in their prime - Bruce, Pink Floyd from Dark Side until Waters left, The Clash, 70s Lou Reed, early U2...

Old 07-17-2016, 05:23 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,259,079 times
Soundgarden and Zeppelin.
Got to see Chris Cornell when he branched off in the late 90's: so technically I.ve only missed Zep.
Seen all the big rock and blues legends -thanks to living in Chicago when the body could withstand the energy!
InXS I heard was another one that "would.ve been nice had the lead not died".
Most epic was Pink Floyd at Soldiers Field in the 90's.

Old 01-14-2018, 10:33 AM

473 posts, read 760,786 times
Realistically speaking, I could have seen Rory Gallagher. I didn't become aware of him until after his death. But I would have loved to have seen him.

Of course I would have wanted to see The Allman Brothers with Duane.

Also The Band.

Old 01-14-2018, 10:39 AM

7,453 posts, read 4,686,150 times
Kenny Rogers Farewell Concert last Oct 25. I was abroad.

Old 01-14-2018, 10:50 AM

1,156 posts, read 941,458 times
1. Springsteen, had tickets like 20 years ago but the show was cancelled.
2. Nirvana just didn't care that much
3. Elvis Presley show was sold out before I noticed
4. Frank Sinatra - wasn't a fan then
5. Thin Lizzy with REO Speedwagon I was just a kid getting into rock when a friend wanted to go and I passed because I'd never heard of Thin Lizzy.

On Aerosmith, yes their later stuff is dreck if you're a fan of the classic era but live they are still well worth it.

Old 01-14-2018, 11:08 AM

473 posts, read 760,786 times
Oh...Thin Lizzy would have been another good show!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music