Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 10:28 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,290,745 times

Advertisements

Bob Dylan. His voice is either whiny or gruff to mumbling. I don't like his songs, I don't get his popularity . When his songs come on the radio I change the station.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2016, 10:57 PM

51,955 posts, read 52,378,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Bob Dylan. His voice is either whiny or gruff to mumbling. I don't like his songs, I don't get his popularity . When his songs come on the radio I change the station.

Bob Dylan is probably one of the biggest hacks that I can think of.... I have a friend that I talk about Dylan with, I actually don't mind him as much as Elvis Costello. I never usually hear Bob as I don't listen to music channels that would typically play his stuff, but the stuff I do hear by him doesn't grind my gears as bad as Costello, surprisingly enough.

Old 07-17-2016, 06:20 AM

8,010 posts, read 10,572,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR4929 View Post
It's not that I can't stand a certain artist, (well maybe I do loathe U2), but that I have outgrown them. I have completely given up on contemporary music, pop and rock. It's irrelevant and no longer speaks to me. I have whittled down my music collection to about a core of 20 artists, songs and albums I think I can't live without but probably can, and actually do since I rarely play them. At one time I had over 300 CDs. I probably had at least one album by almost everybody who was anybody. Now I prefer to use my free time on other prospects, and I aim to be completely noise-free by 2017. And no, I'm not that old.
I feel similarly. To me, there is no rock any more, just pop, hip-hop, and cheesy "country" that has no real country roots at all.

You have to really seek out true talent in music these days; it isn't getting airplay. If I do have the radio on, it's usually on talk radio.

Old 07-17-2016, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
I feel similarly. To me, there is no rock any more, just pop, hip-hop, and cheesy "country" that has no real country roots at all.

You have to really seek out true talent in music these days; it isn't getting airplay. If I do have the radio on, it's usually on talk radio.

I agree, it's tough to find good music anymore. I tend to like hard rock/metal and all of the newer stuff just sorta sucks to me, not all, but a good chunk.

I don't want to be one of those guys that gets stuck in one decade of music and isn't open to anything else, but I tell ya, it's getting hard. I'll listen to Octane on Sirius because they play new hard rock and I end up turning it off after awhile because most of it just sounds like some crap churned out by music producers and doesn't have any real identity or soul behind it. IDK... again, not all, but a lot of it.

Old 07-17-2016, 04:18 PM

8,779 posts, read 10,190,515 times
Adull, better known as 'Adele'. Overplayed, overrated, boring, stalker-ish drivel. Send my love to your lover? Where's the puking smilie here?

Gwen Stefani/No Doubt. My ears are bleeding just writing this.

Fall Out Boy and their ilk that was popular with the emo crowd circa 2006. They made a recent comeback and that stupid song 'Centuries' gets played every day at work and I want to take a hammer to the speakers when it comes on.

Chris Brown, never liked him even before his incident with Rihanna (who I also don't like). I know he was more geared towards teenage girls but there were a lot of older women who flocked to him as well.

Old 07-17-2016, 08:00 PM

870 posts, read 630,624 times
The following are who I have no interest in hearing.

Dixie Chicks
Carrie Underwood
Kasey Musgraves
Kelsi Ballerini
Maren Morris
Brandy Clark

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Last edited by James Otto Sweet Heart; 07-17-2016 at 08:44 PM..

Old 07-17-2016, 08:37 PM

7,682 posts, read 1,264,107 times
Not a fan of Rhianna....

I absolutely hate Walk the Moon--no originality there....

Went to Boston Calling at the end of May. Friday night's main attraction was Sia. The "concert" consisted of her standing on the back corner of the stage in her platinum wig, bangs covering her eyes, and lip-syncing her songs while her dance entourage performed. This was an outdoor concert and we were far from the stage so all we saw on the jumbotron were the dancers. Very underwhelming. We wound up leaving early. Luckily Sufjan Stevens was the middle act and he was spectacular!

Old 07-17-2016, 08:42 PM

31,341 posts, read 14,133,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Bob Dylan is probably one of the biggest hacks that I can think of.... I have a friend that I talk about Dylan with, I actually don't mind him as much as Elvis Costello. I never usually hear Bob as I don't listen to music channels that would typically play his stuff, but the stuff I do hear by him doesn't grind my gears as bad as Costello, surprisingly enough.

Yes and No.
Bob is a great writer of music. You have to give him his dues here.
But as a singer? Forget it. Never really got into it, and his voice is bad.

Old 07-18-2016, 07:18 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,239,765 times
It's so easy to find great new music. I don't even go out of my way, and new music is constantly finding its way to me. All you have to do is "like" some of your favorite bands on Facebook, and you'll get numerous recommendations every day. That's way easier than listening to a bunch of commercials on the radio hoping a good new song will come on.

As for music I can't stand, that would be any of the swing revival bands from the '90s. Cherry Poppin' Daddies, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, and the like. Absolute garbage.

Old 07-18-2016, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Yes and No.
Bob is a great writer of music. You have to give him his dues here.
But as a singer? Forget it. Never really got into it, and his voice is bad.

That's the standard stock canned answer that everyone says about Dylan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music