Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2019, 05:42 PM

14,454 posts, read 20,630,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Wouldn't it be nice to hear a Beach Boys tune?

The Beach Boys - Wouldn't It Be Nice

I started to clip it at 1.0 seconds and changed my mind.
I have not used them on this thread before since I was not a Beach Boys fan.

Old 03-26-2019, 06:11 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post

I started to clip it at 1.0 seconds and changed my mind.
I have not used them on this thread before since I was not a Beach Boys fan.
Not a Beach Boys fan? Fascinating - that's something of a rarity in our age group....from my experience, anyway.

I'm a big fan since Be True To Your School and In My Room. Then hooked for life on arrival of Fun, Fun, Fun. Their earliest stuff I could take or leave and some of their later stuff also misses the mark. But in '63-'64 they were just about incomparable. One smash after another. For my favorite I'd have trouble deciding between Fun, Fun, Fun and Dance, Dance, Dance.

I didn't realize you had never used them. I'd love to see more.

Old 03-26-2019, 07:06 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,127,286 times
That one guy was pretty good, Sloop John B. You gotta watch him, he took and ate up all of my corn, but coming from Iowa and knowing the goodness of corn, I can understand why he did it.

I like Surfin' Safari, Little Deuce Coupe, 409, Shut Down, Do You Wanna Dance, When I Grow Up To Be A Man. Those are my favorites but I also like some of their slow songs like Wendy, In My Room, Don't Worry Baby. They had a lot of good songs, surprised this is the first time Howard has used a Beach Boys song, so many to choose from. I like Good Vibrations too. Don't think I would have been able to pin this one down without a little more to go on, congrats to Crown on this quick score. He is NOT a dweeb or a doofus, Crown is all touch and go, a real champion. (as sung by Emerson Lake & Palmer for the '84 Olympics)

Old 03-27-2019, 07:58 AM

5,793 posts, read 13,930,887 times
Yuppers. Beach Boys. Way to go, CV! I recognized this one instantly too. Too many great songs to start a list, but Wow, such incredible arrangements & harmonies. Brian hit the proverbial wall after Pet Sounds. Over 200 hours of Good Vibrations exists on tape. None of it in Stereo. He just wouldn't let that one go. It's a masterpiece, but I'd go for Warmth of the Sun, written in the days following the JFK assassination.

Old 03-27-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
Yuppers. Beach Boys. Way to go, CV! I recognized this one instantly too. Too many great songs to start a list, but Wow, such incredible arrangements & harmonies. Brian hit the proverbial wall after Pet Sounds. Over 200 hours of Good Vibrations exists on tape. None of it in Stereo. He just wouldn't let that one go. It's a masterpiece, but I'd go for Warmth of the Sun, written in the days following the JFK assassination.
Thanks, SP.

I'd say Brian hit the proverbial wall before Pet Sounds. Despite that, there are two good songs on it, Wouldn't It Be Nice and Sloop John B. The rest of it is pretty much just Brian Wilson on drugs.

Good Vibrations is ok, but not in the same league as their best. It's a legendarily ambitious effort to make a mediocre song. If it weren't for the '63-'65 string starting with Be True to Your School and ending with Help Me Rhonda, I'd be a lot closer to Howard's viewpoint. Edit: Help Me Rhonda was '65

Do It Again is another of theirs that I like, but what puzzles me is that I don't remember ever hearing it until it was used to open their 50th anniversary concert in 2012. I hate it when famous groups open with unfamiliar material....and that was my gut reaction to Do It Again. But then I listened, and listened again, and realized it was an excellent song with great classic Beach Boy harmonies. Too bad I missed it in '68.

Last edited by CrownVic95; 03-27-2019 at 09:24 AM..

Old 03-27-2019, 11:14 AM

5,793 posts, read 13,930,887 times
Do It Again was the 1st 45 I purchased that was recorded in stereo. It was a big hit on the east coast in the summer of 68.

Old 03-27-2019, 11:31 AM

4,861 posts, read 4,794,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Not a Beach Boys fan? Fascinating - that's something of a rarity in our age group....from my experience, anyway.

I'm a big fan since Be True To Your School and In My Room. Then hooked for life on arrival of Fun, Fun, Fun. Their earliest stuff I could take or leave and some of their later stuff also misses the mark. But in '63-'64 they were just about incomparable. One smash after another. For my favorite I'd have trouble deciding between Fun, Fun, Fun and Dance, Dance, Dance.

I didn't realize you had never used them. I'd love to see more.
Nice catch CV. As a Beach Boy fan, I did know that one. I first saw them in Sept 1966, wearing striped shirts and white Levis and driving onto the stage on those Honda 50s of the day. I like almost everything they've done, but I lean toward the rarely played All Summer Long as a favorite. It is just the right combination of lyrics, sound and where I thought I wanted to be at 17.

Old 03-27-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
Do It Again was the 1st 45 I purchased that was recorded in stereo. It was a big hit on the east coast in the summer of 68.
Fascinating. We moved from Henrietta, NY to Omaha in July '68 and I see that Do It Again hit the top 40 in August. Never heard it in Omaha.

On the other hand, a few months later Will You Be Staying After Sunday was huge in Omaha and I recall (when Howard used it here a while back) many/most of you saying you had never heard it. It's clear that airplay of any given song varies significantly with location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
Nice catch CV. As a Beach Boy fan, I did know that one. I first saw them in Sept 1966, wearing striped shirts and white Levis and driving onto the stage on those Honda 50s of the day. I like almost everything they've done, but I lean toward the rarely played All Summer Long as a favorite. It is just the right combination of lyrics, sound and where I thought I wanted to be at 17.
And I wanted one so bad.

Reminds me of Little Honda. The Hondells version was a bigger hit, but The Beach Boys wrote it and included it on the All Summer Long album. I like them both.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nDvA1pqP0U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Lyp5cbJEyo

Old 03-27-2019, 02:22 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,127,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
All Summer Long is also quite good, I like the xylophone in that one, very fun, add that one to my favorites by the Beach Boys. Help Me Rhonda does not do much for me. I like some songs from the copycat groups like Little Honda from the Hondells (Crown should have selected the video with them on their scooters, lol), and Jan & Dean had a couple good tunes, Surf City and Dead Man's Curve. I'm quite sure The Surfaris/Ventures Wipe Out was Beach Boys influenced as well, I prefer the Surfaris version.

Beach Boys did make a little comeback in the 80's with Kokomo, which still gets a little air play from time to time, and another version of Wipeout with the Fat Boys, which had it's 15 minutes of fame.

I think this is my favorite of their 80's offerings

Still Cruisin' (1989)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RbMTDLFOjA

Old 03-29-2019, 05:00 PM

14,454 posts, read 20,630,704 times

https://vimeo.com/327385433
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music