Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 03:55 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,368,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post

Transitions are usually successful when done soon after. But they are exceptions, Nirvana fell apart after Kurt Cobain's death.
Nirvana fell apart before Cobain's death--they cancelled a major tour, and Dave Grohl was already busy putting together his Foo Fighters project.

The Sex Pistols briefly had a fugitive train robber, Ronnie Biggs as a lead vocalist... very briefly...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2016, 02:20 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,526,471 times
I think that AC/DC is the exception to the rule on this subject. I don’t know, maybe they were an obscure band prior to Brian joining them? I don’t know. All I know is that AC/DC’s masterpiece seems to be Back in Black, and that’s all Brian. When I think of them, I think of his voice.

However, I believe that if a band is hiring a new lead singer, either 2 things needs to happen: change the name of the band, or change your style completely.

On the latter, I would say Van Halen is a good example. Prior to Sammy, they were your basic guitar/bass/drum hard rock band singing about girls and stuff….Sammy joins in, and they become this new entity with heavy synthesizer sounds, singing about love in a sensitive way, among other things. It was a genius move in my opinion since they were able to carry on successfully in the 80’s without going the glam way. I personally prefer Van Hagar.

Alice in Chains is another band that I think has managed well with the new kid Duval on vocals. However, Jerry Cantrell was 50% of that voice sound, and he is still there.

I can’t really think of another band that has successfully changed their lead singers.

Old 08-02-2016, 05:33 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,114,170 times
LMAO, Chow, you know how I feel about this ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
People til this day sweat and bust on Brian Johnson and there still seems to be a sorta civil war so to speak about it. When Bon died and ACDC released Back in Black I thought that was probably the most stellar come back album that I could have ever imagined, that album kicks ass on so many levels and yet the haters bust on Johnson and put him down. BON SCOTT is f ing dead!!!!!! what the hell do you want?????????????

I mean the band just moved on nicely. To me the transition was better than when Dave left VH.... VH became a completely different band. ACDC didn't... same ol' 3 chord masterpieces.....same ol good licks that the boys churned out, Johnson's voice was awesome as hell and worked well with the band. Yet he still gets flack all these years later, I heard him in an interview a few yrs ago and he was still sorta apologetic about filling in for Bon and I'm like F that... the man has earned his own place in the band and for people to not acknowledge it is BS.
The band moved on, because they had to. I still think Stevie Wright would have been a good replacement. (lead singer of the Easy beats)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=In1VeSjsBT8

I don't think Brian has done a bad job. He definitely should not apologise. He has ensured that ACDC played for an extra 30 years. That's pretty ****ing awesome. But, no, he's not Bon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
With AC/DC, anyone who was able to screech loudly would've sufficed.

I'm more impressed with those bands that aren't utterly dependent on one singer for all their songs. The Beatles and Queen come immediately to mind in this regard.
Bon Scott, was not a screecher.

INXS were another band that could never replace their lead singer. They really should have just called it quits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
Agree on AC/DC, I think since it was early on their career that they were able to transition nicely. A similar case is Joy Division, after Ian Curtis' suicide in 1980, the rest of the group moved on successfully and changed their name to New Order.

Queen however were roughly two decades into their career when Freddie Mercury passed away. But Queen sort of stayed stagnant during the 90's, with John Deacon retiring. Now they had Paul Rodgers and Adam Lambert filling in, but it's not the same as the AC/DC situation. Queen are not what they were prior to Mercury's death and did not become bigger than before. This is simply because they are far removed their heyday, and a new singer filled in years after Freddie died.

Transitions are usually successful when done soon after. But they are exceptions, Nirvana fell apart after Kurt Cobain's death.

Another good example of a successful transition is Genesis, Phil Collins quickly filled in Peter Gabriel's shoes.
Back In Black, was their 7th album

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey mouse is dead View Post
I think that AC/DC is the exception to the rule on this subject. I don’t know, maybe they were an obscure band prior to Brian joining them? I don’t know. All I know is that AC/DC’s masterpiece seems to be Back in Black, and that’s all Brian. When I think of them, I think of his voice.

However, I believe that if a band is hiring a new lead singer, either 2 things needs to happen: change the name of the band, or change your style completely.

On the latter, I would say Van Halen is a good example. Prior to Sammy, they were your basic guitar/bass/drum hard rock band singing about girls and stuff….Sammy joins in, and they become this new entity with heavy synthesizer sounds, singing about love in a sensitive way, among other things. It was a genius move in my opinion since they were able to carry on successfully in the 80’s without going the glam way. I personally prefer Van Hagar.

Alice in Chains is another band that I think has managed well with the new kid Duval on vocals. However, Jerry Cantrell was 50% of that voice sound, and he is still there.

I can’t really think of another band that has successfully changed their lead singers.
Yeah, Back In Black is where they got international fame. I love that album, but I think I still prefer High Voltage.
Agree, though, I think AIC have done it as well as anyone (although no, he's no Layne)

Bon singing Ride on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEX2u5q7J7o
Brian's version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kk7a...ature=youtu.be

Top 10 Bon Scott AC/DC Songs

looks like the end is soon, for AC / DC
http://www.theage.com.au/entertainme...02-gqjkm4.html

Old 08-03-2016, 12:10 AM

511 posts, read 402,286 times
So, this is just about dad rock bands?

Old 08-03-2016, 06:22 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,557,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Polymath View Post
I don't know who your dad is.

But the thread title makes it pretty clear what this is about.

Old 08-03-2016, 09:19 AM

18,218 posts, read 25,857,597 times
Quote:
Don't forget Grandad's rock bands!

Hard to believe it's been nearly a half century since Deep Purple came on the scene in 1968. And they had a few lead singers, starting with Rod Evans. He was replaced with Ian Gillian in 1970. When Gillian started his own band in 1973 he was replaced by David Coverdale. Several years later Joe Lynn Turner was lead vo calist and then Ian Gillian came back again. A revolving door for sure!

Old 08-05-2016, 03:38 AM

511 posts, read 402,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
I don't know who your dad is.

But the thread title makes it pretty clear what this is about.
No it doesn't... the revolving door situation in bands couldn't be more true than ever if you followed current band situations.

Old 08-05-2016, 07:08 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,557,052 times
Quote:
No it doesn't... the revolving door situation in bands couldn't be more true than ever if you followed current band situations.
Instead of crying about the bands that have already been mentioned, perhaps you could name a couple that fit the thread.

Wouldn't that be much more productive?

Old 08-05-2016, 01:37 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Pink Floyd. Syd Barrett fell off the deep end and lead vocal duties were taken over by Roger Waters, and new guy David Gilmour. And sometimes Richard Wright.

Black Flag. Keith Morris was replaced by several singers, with Henry Rollins eventually becoming the singer most associated with the band.

Old 08-05-2016, 01:40 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Genesis. Phil Collins took over when Peter Gabriel left the band. This led to them becoming far more successful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music