U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 03:32 PM
j33

4,625 posts, read 9,328,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
Country music is the most popular genre of music in the United States and I see it as the music of the real America. I think part of the appeal of country music is the coldness and emptiness of life in the urban areas and how peopel long for better places and times.
Oh c'mon, don't start in on that 'real america' nonsense. A lot of us 'real americans' like our urban life thankyouverymuch. So far this has been a thread simply discussing a popular musical genre, and I'd like to remain such. I'm not much of a fan of country music and the themes and experiences it discusses do not resonate with me, but I find the history of musical genres (including country) interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 05:17 PM

421 posts, read 154,155 times
Because the rednecks that like country music live in the South, or to a lesser extent out west.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:29 PM

6,758 posts, read 14,116,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
Because the rednecks that like country music live in the South, or to a lesser extent out west.
Not everyone who likes country is redneck and not everyone who is redneck likes country.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:46 PM

8,573 posts, read 14,858,443 times
Quote:
And I guess all "yankees" up north only like opera? See, I can be silly too.

Old 02-21-2008, 06:05 PM

9,598 posts, read 14,566,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Well, I can tell you something even more confusing about country music. Recently I have been hearing a lot of Northern accents singing those Southern songs. I noticed it as I was riding in my car the other day. I thought, where on earth did they learn to say that word that way. They may sing country songs, but they don't talk country.
What surprises mem more is there are quite a few country singers from southern states that sound quite-to-very northern, like Phil Vasser, Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson and Pat Green.

Coincidentally, many of singers from outside the south, even some from Canada, sound at least a little southern when they sing.
Diamond Rio from Ohio yet very southern-sounding, Jo De Messina from MA, Sara Evans KS?, Martina McBride KS etc.
Even Brad Paisley and Gretchen Wilson (redneck woman) sing "southern" but speak northern in interviews.

Old 02-21-2008, 06:18 PM

2,357 posts, read 32,802 times
Quote:
I believe David Allan Coe is from Ohio. He's a classy guy.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:58 PM

4,600 posts, read 6,802,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
What surprises mem more is there are quite a few country singers from southern states that sound quite-to-very northern, like Phil Vasser, Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson and Pat Green.

Coincidentally, many of singers from outside the south, even some from Canada, sound at least a little southern when they sing.
Diamond Rio from Ohio yet very southern-sounding, Jo De Messina from MA, Sara Evans KS?, Martina McBride KS etc.
Even Brad Paisley and Gretchen Wilson (redneck woman) sing "southern" but speak northern in interviews.
I've noticed this slightly, but only with how SOME singers don't have that twang when they talk, most notably Carrie Underwood and Taylor Swift who sound very northern. Well Taylor is originally from the Philly area and Carrie is from the Midwest (Oklahoma). Kenny Chesney only seems to have a light southern/country accent. But what really shocked me was that Carrie and Kenny would be on stage and say "you guys" (a very Northeastern regional expression) rather than the "ya'll" typical of mainstream America (and this includes many African Americans in the northern cities.)

I don't think Gretchen Wilson sounds southern in her singing, and she's from Illinois. I think the Midwest is separate from the "north" which is really the Northeast. Sara Evans is from Missouri. Tracy Lawrence is probably the most southern sounding singer, especially in his great song "If the WOrld Had a Front Porch".

Rascal Flatts does not sound southern in their music. Kellie Pickler sounds more southern talking than in her music, and her accent actually isn't THAT strong.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Oh c'mon, don't start in on that 'real america' nonsense. A lot of us 'real americans' like our urban life thankyouverymuch. So far this has been a thread simply discussing a popular musical genre, and I'd like to remain such. I'm not much of a fan of country music and the themes and experiences it discusses do not resonate with me, but I find the history of musical genres (including country) interesting.
A lot of country today also deals with suburban, middle class life. Just listen to most of Shania Twain or Rascal Flatts or especially SHeDAISY's stuff. There are a lot of songs about nine to fivers, suburban soccer moms, etc. Like Lonestar's famous song "I've Already There" is about a guy who travels on business and is away from his family (though somehow it became a military song). Kellie Pickler sings about going to the club in her red high heels and the video shows her in a suburbia type place then going into the city and going to a fancy club riding in a convertible with girls.

"New Hometown" by Sara Evans promotes small town life but its attack on urban living is more "refined" than let's say Gretchen Wilson ("you're a real hot cookie in your new hairdo, your high heel boots and your miniskirt"....or "thank God we're not all California girls....strutting around in their size zeroes...") Its about how a couple is tired of all the "concrete and the glass" where the sun never shines and wants to move to a town where they can "Stand out in the front yard underneath a maple tree" and "imagine Friday football games where everyone knows your name, they'll even stop to say hello. They'll have a town parade, kids selling lemonade...."

I think a LOT of urbanites and suburnates can identify with something like this.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:15 PM

"Everywhere" by Tim McGraw...this song mentions numerous places across the nation but noticeably missing is anything north of the Mason Dixon Line.

We were born in this little town

Growin' up I was countin' down
Every single day till we made our get-away
But you said you could never see yourself
Trying to make a life anywhere else
This would be your home
And I was on my own
But ever since you said good-bye
I've been out here on the wind
And baby you would be surprised
All the places you have been

I've seen you in Albuquerque waitin' out a blizzard
Arizona dancin' 'cross the desert
Watchin' the sun set in MontereyGirl I swear just the other day you were
Down in Georgia pickin' them peaches
Carolina barefoot on the beaches
No matter where you choose to be
In my heart I'll always see you
Everywhere

Now a days when I'm passin' through
The conversation always turns to you
I hear you're doin' fine
Livin' out by the county line
Got a man that's home every night
A couple of kids and the kind of life
That you want to leave
Guess you could say the same for me
But you and I made our choices
All those years ago
Still I know I'll hear your voice
And see you down the road
Maybe in

Oklahoma drivin' 'cross the prairie
In Dallas Texas isn't that where we
Always said we would like to try
But never did so maybe that's why
You're on every highway just beyond the high-beams
Right beside me in all of my sweet dreams
In..

Albuquerque waitin' out a blizzard
Watchin' the sun set in Monterey
Girl I swear just the other day you were
Everywhere

Old 02-21-2008, 09:43 PM

29,910 posts, read 5,122,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
"Everywhere" by Tim McGraw...this song mentions numerous places across the nation but noticeably missing is anything north of the Mason Dixon Line.

We were born in this little town

Growin' up I was countin' down
Every single day till we made our get-away
But you said you could never see yourself
Trying to make a life anywhere else
This would be your home
And I was on my own
But ever since you said good-bye
I've been out here on the wind
And baby you would be surprised
All the places you have been

I've seen you in Albuquerque waitin' out a blizzard
Watchin' the sun set in MontereyGirl I swear just the other day you were
Everywhere

Now a days when I'm passin' through
The conversation always turns to you
I hear you're doin' fine
Livin' out by the county line
Got a man that's home every night
A couple of kids and the kind of life
That you want to leave
Guess you could say the same for me
But you and I made our choices
All those years ago
Still I know I'll hear your voice
And see you down the road
Maybe in

Oklahoma drivin' 'cross the prairie
In Dallas Texas isn't that where we
Always said we would like to try
But never did so maybe that's why
You're on every highway just beyond the high-beams
Right beside me in all of my sweet dreams
In..

Albuquerque waitin' out a blizzard
Watchin' the sun set in Monterey
Girl I swear just the other day you were
Everywhere
it seems to me that you like southern culture/rural lifestyles, you should move to GA, AL, or MS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music